amaroK launching Kmail = virus?

Fernando Meira
Hi,

been using amaroK for a long time now, and just few days ago, something weird started to happen.
At some point, when changing song, I get an error message saying that amaroK was unable to launch Kmail.
I do not have Kmail, so I understand the problem.. but why amaroK wants to use Kmail?
Can this be a symptom a virus or worm trying to spread?

Any idea?

Thanks,
Fernando

Re: amaroK launching Kmail = virus?

Jeff Smelser
On Tuesday 15 November 2005 09:42 am, Fernando Meira wrote:

> been using amaroK for a long time now, and just few days ago, something
> weird started to happen.
> At some point, when changing song, I get an error message saying that
> amaroK was unable to launch Kmail.
> I do not have Kmail, so I understand the problem.. but why amaroK wants to
> use Kmail?
> Can this be a symptom a virus or worm trying to spread?

Interesting.. Did the program error out? I do know it tries to send a stack
trace when it errors out.

Jeff

Re: amaroK launching Kmail = virus?

Andrew Gaydenko
It isn't any more rather an attempt to send a bug report.

On 11/15/05, Andrew Gaydenko <[hidden email]> wrote:
It isn't any more rather an attempt to send a bug report.

======= On Tuesday 15 November 2005 19:20, Jeff Smelser wrote: =======
On Tuesday 15 November 2005 09:42 am, Fernando Meira wrote:

> been using amaroK for a long time now, and just few days ago, something
> weird started to happen.
> At some point, when changing song, I get an error message saying that
> amaroK was unable to launch Kmail.
> I do not have Kmail, so I understand the problem.. but why amaroK wants to
> use Kmail?
> Can this be a symptom a virus or worm trying to spread?

Interesting.. Did the program error out? I do know it tries to send a stack
trace when it errors out.

Jeff

Yes, that's true.. it could be a bug report!
Some times, after pressing OK to the error window, amaroK goes off right away, other times just after a few more songs...

Re: amaroK launching Kmail = virus?

Abhay Kedia
On Tuesday 15 Nov 2005 9:12 pm, Fernando Meira wrote:

> Hi,
>
> been using amaroK for a long time now, and just few days ago, something
> weird started to happen.
> At some point, when changing song, I get an error message saying that
> amaroK was unable to launch Kmail.
> I do not have Kmail, so I understand the problem.. but why amaroK wants to
> use Kmail?
> Can this be a symptom a virus or worm trying to spread?
>
> Any idea?
>
> Thanks,
> Fernando
Same problem here as well but since I use KMail, I know what is happening.
Amarok is crashing weirdly. Amarok crashes and tries to send a bug report
using KMail but interestingly it keeps on playing music and does what it is
supposed to but it still says that it has crashed.

Doesn't make sense, does it?

Abhay

On Tuesday 15 November 2005 12:02 pm, abhay wrote:

> Same problem here as well but since I use KMail, I know what is happening.
> Amarok is crashing weirdly. Amarok crashes and tries to send a bug report
> using KMail but interestingly it keeps on playing music and does what it is
> supposed to but it still says that it has crashed.
>
> Doesn't make sense, does it?

I am using 1.3.6 and i havent had problem with crashes unless I start messing
with the cover manager..

I would upgrade.. If your using the newest copy, then i am not hitting those
for some reason.

Jeff

On Wednesday 16 Nov 2005 1:14 am, Jeff Smelser wrote:
> I am using 1.3.6 and i havent had problem with crashes unless I start
> messing with the cover manager..
I am using 1.3.6 as well and not messing with cover manager. In fact I didn't
even know something like that existed until you mentioned :P

The crashes are random...no way I can reproduce them.

Abhay

On 11/15/05, abhay <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Wednesday 16 Nov 2005 1:14 am, Jeff Smelser wrote:
> I am using 1.3.6 and i havent had problem with crashes unless I start
> messing with the cover manager..
I am using 1.3.6 as well and not messing with cover manager. In fact I didn't
even know something like that existed until you mentioned :P

The crashes are random...no way I can reproduce them.

Abhay

Well, I'm using 1.2.4 thou..
It behaved very well before.. but now it just crashes all the time... I dont remember to have done anything different that may have caused this...
Anyway, I'll update to 1.3.6 and see how it goes..

Fernando.

On 11/16/05, Fernando Meira <[hidden email]> wrote:
Well, I'm using 1.2.4 thou..
It behaved very well before.. but now it just crashes all the time... I dont remember to have done anything different that may have caused this...
Anyway, I'll update to 1.3.6 and see how it goes..

Fernando.

Well.. the update didn't go as well as I would like!
Here's where the problem started! Any idea?

/bin/sh ../../../../../libtool --silent --tag=CXX --mode=link i686-pc-linux-gnu-g++  -Wno-long-long -Wundef -ansi -D_XOPEN_SOURCE=500 -D_BSD_SOURCE -Wcast-align -Wconversion -Wchar-subscripts -Wall -W -Wpointer-arith -DNDEBUG -DNO_DEBUG -O2 -O2 -march=pentium4 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer -Wformat-security -Wmissing-format-attribute -Wno-non-virtual-dtor -fno-exceptions -fno-check-new -fno-common -DQT_CLEAN_NAMESPACE -DQT_NO_ASCII_CAST -DQT_NO_STL -DQT_NO_COMPAT -DQT_NO_TRANSLATION    -o libamarokarts.la -rpath /usr/kde/3.4/lib -L/usr/kde/3.4/lib -L/usr/qt/3/lib -L/usr/lib    -avoid-version -no-undefined -Wl,--no-undefined -Wl,--allow-shlib-undefined amarokarts.lo synth_stereo_xfade_impl.lo rawscope_impl.lo -lkmedia2_idl -lsoundserver_idl -lartsflow
.libs/amarokarts.o(.gnu.linkonce.d._ZTCN6Amarok23Synth_STEREO_XFADE_stubE48_N4Arts16SynthModule_stubE+0xa8): undefined reference to `virtual thunk to Arts::SynthModule_stub::autoSuspend()'
.libs/amarokarts.o(.gnu.linkonce.d._ZTCN6Amarok23Synth_STEREO_XFADE_stubE48_N4Arts16SynthModule_stubE+0xac): undefined reference to `virtual thunk to Arts::SynthModule_stub::start()'
.libs/amarokarts.o(.gnu.linkonce.d._ZTCN6Amarok23Synth_STEREO_XFADE_stubE48_N4Arts16SynthModule_stubE+0xb0): undefined reference to `virtual thunk to Arts::SynthModule_stub::stop()'
.libs/amarokarts.o(.gnu.linkonce.d._ZTCN6Amarok23Synth_STEREO_XFADE_stubE48_N4Arts16SynthModule_stubE+0xb4): undefined reference to `virtual thunk to Arts::SynthModule_stub::streamInit()'
.libs/amarokarts.o(.gnu.linkonce.d._ZTCN6Amarok23Synth_STEREO_XFADE_stubE48_N4Arts16SynthModule_stubE+0xb8): undefined reference to `virtual thunk to Arts::SynthModule_stub::streamStart()'
.libs/amarokarts.o(.gnu.linkonce.d._ZTCN6Amarok23Synth_STEREO_XFADE_stubE48_N4Arts16SynthModule_stubE+0xbc): undefined reference to `virtual thunk to Arts::SynthModule_stub::streamEnd()'
.libs/amarokarts.o(.gnu.linkonce.d._ZTVN6Amarok23Synth_STEREO_XFADE_stubE+0x58): undefined reference to `virtual thunk to Arts::SynthModule_stub::autoSuspend()'
.libs/amarokarts.o(.gnu.linkonce.d._ZTVN6Amarok23Synth_STEREO_XFADE_stubE+0x5c): undefined reference to `virtual thunk to Arts::SynthModule_stub::start()'
.libs/amarokarts.o(.gnu.linkonce.d._ZTVN6Amarok23Synth_STEREO_XFADE_stubE+0x60): undefined reference to `virtual thunk to Arts::SynthModule_stub::stop()'
.libs/amarokarts.o(.gnu.linkonce.d._ZTVN6Amarok23Synth_STEREO_XFADE_stubE+0x64): undefined reference to `virtual thunk to Arts::SynthModule_stub::streamInit()'
.libs/amarokarts.o(.gnu.linkonce.d._ZTVN6Amarok23Synth_STEREO_XFADE_stubE+0x68): undefined reference to `virtual thunk to Arts::SynthModule_stub::streamStart()'
.libs/amarokarts.o(.gnu.linkonce.d._ZTVN6Amarok23Synth_STEREO_XFADE_stubE+0x6c): undefined reference to `virtual thunk to Arts::SynthModule_stub::streamEnd()'
.libs/amarokarts.o(.gnu.linkonce.d._ZTCN6Amarok13RawScope_stubE52_N4Arts16SynthModule_stubE+0xa8): undefined reference to `virtual thunk to Arts::SynthModule_stub::autoSuspend()'
.libs/amarokarts.o(.gnu.linkonce.d._ZTCN6Amarok13RawScope_stubE52_N4Arts16SynthModule_stubE+0xac): undefined reference to `virtual thunk to Arts::SynthModule_stub::start()'

(it goes on and on...)

.libs/rawscope_impl.o(.gnu.linkonce.d._ZTCN6Amarok13RawScope_implE4_N4Arts14StdSynthModuleE+0xa4): undefined reference to `virtual thunk to Arts::StdSynthModule::autoSuspend()'
.libs/rawscope_impl.o(.gnu.linkonce.d._ZTCN6Amarok13RawScope_implE4_N4Arts14StdSynthModuleE+0xa8): undefined reference to `virtual thunk to Arts::StdSynthModule::start()'
.libs/rawscope_impl.o(.gnu.linkonce.d._ZTCN6Amarok13RawScope_implE4_N4Arts14StdSynthModuleE+0xac): undefined reference to `virtual thunk to Arts::StdSynthModule::stop()'
.libs/rawscope_impl.o(.gnu.linkonce.d._ZTCN6Amarok13RawScope_implE4_N4Arts14StdSynthModuleE+0xb0): undefined reference to `virtual thunk to Arts::StdSynthModule::streamInit()'
.libs/rawscope_impl.o(.gnu.linkonce.d._ZTCN6Amarok13RawScope_implE4_N4Arts14StdSynthModuleE+0xb4): undefined reference to `virtual thunk to Arts::StdSynthModule::streamStart()'
.libs/rawscope_impl.o(.gnu.linkonce.d._ZTCN6Amarok13RawScope_implE4_N4Arts14StdSynthModuleE+0xb8): undefined reference to `virtual thunk to Arts::StdSynthModule::streamEnd()'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[6]: *** [libamarokarts.la] Error 1
make[6]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/amarok-1.3.6/work/amarok-1.3.6/amarok/src/engine/arts/amarokarts'
make[5]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
(...)

Re: amaroK launching Kmail = virus?

Preston Hagar

make[6]: *** [<a href="http://libamarokarts.la" target="_blank" onclick="return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)">libamarokarts.la] Error 1
make[6]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/amarok-1.3.6/work/amarok-1.3.6/amarok/src/engine/arts/amarokarts'
make[5]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
(...)

Although amarok is probably my favorite audio player, I have found it to be a little finicky.  I usually find it works best with xine.  I usually use a "-arts -gstreamer xine" so xine is the only engine available.  I also usually have a "-mysql -postgres" because it seems silly to me to have a database running to listen to music.  If you disable both of those, it just uses sqlite.  I have also use "-opengl" becase at one time (they probably have fixed it by now, but I haven't checked) there was an issue with amarok, opengl, and nvidia cards.  I don't use/watch any of the visualizations anyway so I have never seen the point.  I make sure to add in "musicbrainz" since that is a nice service.  So to sum up, my use flags are generally: "-arts -gstreamer xine -mysql -postgres -opengl musicbrainz"  I know it isn't a direct solution to your problem, I just thought I would share my experiences.

Preston

On Wednesday 16 November 2005 10:05 am, Preston Hagar wrote:

> Although amarok is probably my favorite audio player, I have found it to be
> a little finicky. I usually find it works best with xine. I usually use a
> "-arts -gstreamer xine" so xine is the only engine available. I also
> usually have a "-mysql -postgres" because it seems silly to me to have a
> database running to listen to music. If you disable both of those, it just
> uses sqlite. I have also use "-opengl" becase at one time (they probably
> have fixed it by now, but I haven't checked) there was an issue with
> amarok, opengl, and nvidia cards. I don't use/watch any of the
> visualizations anyway so I have never seen the point. I make sure to add in
> "musicbrainz" since that is a nice service. So to sum up, my use flags are
> generally: "-arts -gstreamer xine -mysql -postgres -opengl musicbrainz" I
> know it isn't a direct solution to your problem, I just thought I would
> share my
> experiences.
I use arts mysql opengl here and it runs fine.. Must be something else..

The database is cool for dynamic mode.. I can create my own smartlist's.. I
dont know how I listened to music without it before.. Its awesome..

Jeff

On 11/16/05, Jeff Smelser <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Wednesday 16 November 2005 10:05 am, Preston Hagar wrote:

> Although amarok is probably my favorite audio player, I have found it to be
> a little finicky. I usually find it works best with xine. I usually use a
> "-arts -gstreamer xine" so xine is the only engine available. I also
> usually have a "-mysql -postgres" because it seems silly to me to have a
> database running to listen to music. If you disable both of those, it just
> uses sqlite. I have also use "-opengl" becase at one time (they probably
> have fixed it by now, but I haven't checked) there was an issue with
> amarok, opengl, and nvidia cards. I don't use/watch any of the
> visualizations anyway so I have never seen the point. I make sure to add in
> "musicbrainz" since that is a nice service. So to sum up, my use flags are
> generally: "-arts -gstreamer xine -mysql -postgres -opengl musicbrainz" I
> know it isn't a direct solution to your problem, I just thought I would
> share my
> experiences.

I use arts mysql opengl here and it runs fine.. Must be something else..

The database is cool for dynamic mode.. I can create my own smartlist's.. I
dont know how I listened to music without it before.. Its awesome..

Jeff

Yes, it must... I'm using these:

media-sound/amarok-1.3.6 [1.2.4] +arts -debug -flac -gstreamer +kde -kdeenablefinal +mp3 +musicbrainz -mysql -noamazon +opengl -postgres -visualization +vorbis +xine -xinerama +xmms

dont know what can be wrong... Thanks anyway!

Fernando

On Wednesday 16 Nov 2005 9:08 pm, Fernando Meira wrote:
> .libs/rawscope_impl.o(.gnu.linkonce.d._ZTCN6Amarok13RawScope_implE4_N4Arts1
>4StdSynthModuleE+0xb8): undefined reference to `virtual thunk to
> Arts::StdSynthModule::streamEnd()' collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> make[6]: *** [libamarokarts.la <http://libamarokarts.la>] Error 1
> make[6]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/amarok-1.3.6/work/amarok-1.3.6
> /amarok/src/engine/arts/amarokarts'
> make[5]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
> (...)
Looks like a problem in compiling with Arts. Try with -arts.

Abhay

Re: amaroK launching Kmail = virus?

Abhay Kedia
I nailed it on my system. I had some free time so installed gdb and ran
amarok. Looks like if "Retrieve similar artists" is checked under Last.fm, it
crashes amaroK. I unchecked the option and now it runs flawlessly.
Check it in your case as well.

Abhay

On Wednesday 16 November 2005 03:37 pm, abhay wrote:

> I nailed it on my system. I had some free time so installed gdb and ran
> amarok. Looks like if "Retrieve similar artists" is checked under Last.fm,
> it crashes amaroK. I unchecked the option and now it runs flawlessly. Check
> it in your case as well.

Make sense why I never saw it. I would run that by the amarok folk so they can
fix it..

Jeff

On 11/16/05, abhay <[hidden email]> wrote:
I nailed it on my system. I had some free time so installed gdb and ran
amarok. Looks like if "Retrieve similar artists" is checked under Last.fm, it
crashes amaroK. I unchecked the option and now it runs flawlessly.
Check it in your case as well.

Abhay

Ok, I did have that option on!
So, I'm trying now without it.. let's see what happens :)
I'm still using version 1.2, thou I'll try later to compile again 1.3.6 without arts and see if that was the problem!

Thanks,
Fernando

Re: amaroK launching Kmail = virus?

Fernando Meira
On 11/16/05, abhay <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Wednesday 16 Nov 2005 9:08 pm, Fernando Meira wrote:
> .libs/rawscope_impl.o(.gnu.linkonce.d._ZTCN6Amarok13RawScope_implE4_N4Arts1
>4StdSynthModuleE+0xb8): undefined reference to `virtual thunk to
> Arts::StdSynthModule::streamEnd()' collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> make[6]: *** [libamarokarts.la <http://libamarokarts.la>] Error 1
> make[6]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/amarok-1.3.6 /work/amarok-1.3.6
> /amarok/src/engine/arts/amarokarts'
> make[5]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
> (...)
Looks like a problem in compiling with Arts. Try with -arts.

Abhay

You were right!!
Without arts compiles fine!
Thanks!