automake-1.9.6-r5 mask question

Re: What ntp/sntp client do people use?

Ian Zimmerman-3
On 2019-12-11 22:18, Walter Dnes wrote:

> openrdate defaults to set correct time directly, but it does have an
> optional parameter to gradually skew local time to the remote time.  I
> use openrdate in client mode once a month or so to sync a machine.

NTP (the protocol implemented by both chrony and ntpd) is one of the
classic TCP/IP protocols, going back to 1985 (RFC 958).  You really
should use it the way it was intended, and not adopt various later hacks
from the world of Linux distributions.

Re: What ntp/sntp client do people use?

Peter Humphrey-3
On Wednesday, 11 December 2019 04:59:08 GMT Walter Dnes wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 10, 2019 at 03:19:16AM -0600, Dale wrote
>
> >   I think I used ntpdate years ago.  Can't recall why I switched but
> >
> > something wasn't working right.  People here recommended chrony and once
> > set up, its worked ever since.  OP, if you haven't tried it yet, may be
> > worth giving it a test run.

Man chronyc; man chronyd.

Here's my chrony.conf:

# cat /etc/chrony/chrony.conf
# Use public NTP servers from the pool.ntp.org project.
# Also Zen's closer servers:
server ntp0.zen.co.uk iburst
server ntp1.zen.co.uk iburst
pool uk.pool.ntp.org iburst
server 0.gentoo.pool.ntp.org iburst
server 1.gentoo.pool.ntp.org iburst
server 2.gentoo.pool.ntp.org iburst
server 3.gentoo.pool.ntp.org iburst

# Record the rate at which the system clock gains/losses time.
driftfile /var/lib/chrony/drift

# Allow the system clock to be stepped in the first three updates
# if its offset is larger than 1 second.
makestep 1.0 3

# Enable kernel synchronization of the real-time clock (RTC).
rtcsync

rtconutc

HTH.

Peter.