bcachefs

James-2

Hello,
Anyone tested/ deployed bcachefs on gentoo yet?

@rich  added to your btrfs howtos?

It looks very, very cool!

enjoy,
James

http://www.linuxveda.com/2015/08/22/linux-gain-new-file-system-bcachefs/

Re: bcachefs

Rich Freeman
On Mon, Oct 12, 2015 at 1:51 PM, James <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Anyone tested/ deployed bcachefs on gentoo yet?
>
> @rich  added to your btrfs howtos?
>
> It looks very, very cool!

My sense is that it could be a while before this becomes usable.

From the list post it doesn't yet support snapshots, or multiple
devices, and the disk format isn't stable (which isn't the most
important thing, but it is a big milestone).

But, I'm all for having more options.  It just seems like there is a
lot of hype - people talk about it like it is done.

I'm not sure at the data model level how it compares to ZFS/btrfs, and
what advantages/disadvantages it might have.  Obviously it supports
bcache, which is something.  I'd really like to see something like
that become possible with btrfs (without implementing it as a separate
layer underneath).

Re: bcachefs

James-2
Rich Freeman <rich0 <at> gentoo.org> writes:

> > Anyone tested/ deployed bcachefs on gentoo yet?

> My sense is that it could be a while before this becomes usable.
> From the list post it doesn't yet support snapshots, or multiple
> devices, and the disk format isn't stable (which isn't the most
> important thing, but it is a big milestone).

That's why I was thinking to test it out on my new auth DNS servers, I'd try
to use it to set on  of the slaves (secondary) dns servers. It would not
be a critical issue if it failed.

> But, I'm all for having more options.  It just seems like there is a
> lot of hype - people talk about it like it is done.

Googling did not find any generic examples (tools?) to format a HD with it,
I've also have some ide-CF (compact Flashcards) that look like SSD (low
budget) on an old single core amd64 that would be just peachy for this sort
of test.

Ideas on how to format the HD [1] ?  Other tools?

> I'm not sure at the data model level how it compares to ZFS/btrfs, and
> what advantages/disadvantages it might have.  Obviously it supports
> bcache, which is something.  I'd really like to see something like
> that become possible with btrfs (without implementing it as a separate
> layer underneath).

Well, as I remember it, it was not that you 'stepped forward' to be the
go-to dev on btrfs, it that most everyone else, 'stepped back'... or
something like that. Still, if the writes using bcachefs can be controlled
(batched) then it just might be a hi perform fs for Solid State HD,
regardless of how the electronics/gates are set up.  I usually use ext2 for
those old CF, but I'm feeling adventuresome with bcachefs. Maybe playing
around with bcachefs, will illuminate a btrfs pathway.....

James

[1] http://bcache.evilpiepirate.org/

Re: bcachefs

Marc Stuermer

Zitat von James <[hidden email]>:

> Hello,
> Anyone tested/ deployed bcachefs on gentoo yet?

Phorononix already ran some benchmarks on it. As to be expected,
there's of course much work left to do.

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=bcache-fs-linux&num=1