binary package installation problem

askar k-2
Hello!

I have packages CD. Mounted it and did #export PKGDIR="/mnt/cdrom"

When I do #emerge --usepkg <packagename> - sometimes it works, but sometimes it doesn't work and bedins compiling.
For example, I wanted to install kde from package CD but it goes to compiling, though I see a lot of tbz files for kde.
Can anybody tell what do I do wrong?

Thanks,
askar

Re: binary package installation problem

Nagatoro
askar k wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I have packages CD. Mounted it and did #export PKGDIR="/mnt/cdrom"
>
> When I do #emerge --usepkg <packagename> - sometimes it works, but
> sometimes it doesn't work and bedins compiling.
> For example, I wanted to install kde from package CD but it goes to
> compiling, though I see a lot of tbz files for kde.
> Can anybody tell what do I do wrong?

A guess would be that the packages that portage want's to compile
isn't on the CD. Not all packages from portage is there... Check tha
package names and versions that want's to compile against the CD.

--
Naga

Re: binary package installation problem

Neil Bothwick
On Thu, 17 Nov 2005 10:27:40 +0000, askar k wrote:

> When I do #emerge --usepkg <packagename> - sometimes it works, but
> sometimes it doesn't work and bedins compiling.
> For example, I wanted to install kde from package CD but it goes to
> compiling, though I see a lot of tbz files for kde.
> Can anybody tell what do I do wrong?

Because you have emerge sync'd since the packages CD was built, your
portage tree contains newer versions of many of the packages, so emerge
tries to install those. As there is no package available for the newer
versions, it tries to download the source and compile.

You need to use --usepkgonly (-K), --usepkg (-k) means "use a package if
one is available, otherwise build from source. If that doesn't work, use
specific version numbers to ensure the version on the CD is installed

emerge -Kav =cate-gory/package-x.y.z-rN

--
Neil Bothwick

I am neither for nor against apathy.

Re: binary package installation problem

askar k-2
> A guess would be that the packages that portage want's to compile
> isn't on the CD. Not all packages from portage is there... Check tha
> package names and versions that want's to compile against the CD.
>
> --
> Naga
Thanks. Seems there's no kde itself, but many its components.
How is the package CD useful then??? Can't understand. Very sad.

askar

Re: binary package installation problem

Chris Cox-3
On Thursday 17 November 2005 05:18, askar k wrote:

> > A guess would be that the packages that portage want's to compile
> > isn't on the CD. Not all packages from portage is there... Check tha
> > package names and versions that want's to compile against the CD.
> >
> > --
> > Naga
>
> Thanks. Seems there's no kde itself, but many its components.
> How is the package CD useful then??? Can't understand. Very sad.
>
> askar

So many different ways to build packages with many different USE flags.
Besides, why would you want to use someone elses pre-compiled package?  You
have a lot more control over it by building it from source and  Gentoo *is
not* a binary distro.
--
Chris
Linux 2.6.14-gentoo-r2 i686 AMD Athlon(tm) XP

On Thu, 17 Nov 2005 05:28:32 -0600, Chris Cox wrote:

> Besides, why would you want to use someone elses pre-compiled package?
> You have a lot more control over it by building it from source

To get a working desktop as quickly as possible. It is no different from
doing a stage 3 installation, it gets you working faster, then you can
optimise at your leisure.

--
Neil Bothwick

Never get into fights with ugly people because they have nothing to lose.

On 11/17/05, Neil Bothwick <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Thu, 17 Nov 2005 05:28:32 -0600, Chris Cox wrote:
> To get a working desktop as quickly as possible. It is no different from
> doing a stage 3 installation, it gets you working faster, then you can
> optimise at your leisure.
But, they say you can optimize your system when you use 1st or 2nd stage...
Is it possible optimize after using 3rd stage for installation?

askar

Re: binary package installation problem

askar k-2
On 11/17/05, Neil Bothwick <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Thu, 17 Nov 2005 10:27:40 +0000, askar k wrote:
>
> Because you have emerge sync'd since the packages CD was built, your
> portage tree contains newer versions of many of the packages, so emerge
> tries to install those. As there is no package available for the newer
> versions, it tries to download the source and compile.

I think in package CD there was no kde itself at all. I didn't emerge
sync before using Package CD.

On Fri, 18 Nov 2005 13:12:22 +0500, askar k wrote:

> But, they say you can optimize your system when you use 1st or 2nd
> stage... Is it possible optimize after using 3rd stage for installation?

Yes. Set up your USE and compiler flags as you want and do emerge -e
world. Some say you should run it twice, or there are scripts on the
forums that will take care of the few packages that do need to be
compiled twice for full optimisation. Whether it is worth the extra time
of compiling twice is arguable as most packages will be recompiled in due
course anyway.

The only difference between doing it this way and a stage 1 is
that you can use the computer while everything is compiling.

--
Neil Bothwick

There's an old proverb that says just about whatever you want it to

On 11/18/05, Neil Bothwick <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Fri, 18 Nov 2005 13:12:22 +0500, askar k wrote:
>
> > But, they say you can optimize your system when you use 1st or 2nd
> > stage... Is it possible optimize after using 3rd stage for installation?
>
> Yes. Set up your USE and compiler flags as you want and do emerge -e
> world. Some say you should run it twice, or there are scripts on the
> forums that will take care of the few packages that do need to be
> compiled twice for full optimisation. Whether it is worth the extra time
> of compiling twice is arguable as most packages will be recompiled in due
> course anyway.
>
> The only difference between doing it this way and a stage 1 is
> that you can use the computer while everything is compiling.

Thanks.

Re: binary package installation problem

Nick Rout
askar k <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 11/17/05, Neil Bothwick <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > On Thu, 17 Nov 2005 05:28:32 -0600, Chris Cox wrote:
> > To get a working desktop as quickly as possible. It is no different from
> > doing a stage 3 installation, it gets you working faster, then you can
> > optimise at your leisure.
> But, they say you can optimize your system when you use 1st or 2nd stage...
> Is it possible optimize after using 3rd stage for installation?
>
> askar

you want to emerge kde-meta, not emerge kde. The binary packages on the
latest CD use the new kde individual builds. Foled me too the first
time.