catalyst 2.0 problem

Jon Hood
I was just informed wolf went out of town for today and therefore can't
be my personal support technician. hopefully there are some friendly
people on this mailing list who can answer my question:

After building my livecd with catalyst 2.0_rc11, I receive the following
message:
"mount: Mounting /newroot/mnt/cdrom/image.squashfs on
/newroot/mnt/livecd failed: No such device"
I then receive a kernel panic since it wasn't able to mount the squashfs
image. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated!

-Jon

Re: catalyst 2.0 problem

Mikey-4
On Thursday 22 December 2005 09:25, Jon Hood spammed:

> After building my livecd with catalyst 2.0_rc11, I receive the following
> message:
> "mount: Mounting /newroot/mnt/cdrom/image.squashfs on
> /newroot/mnt/livecd failed: No such device"
> I then receive a kernel panic since it wasn't able to mount the squashfs
> image. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated!

Jon, I am not terribly familiar with creating livecds, but I will take a
swag :)

I assume you are attempting to boot the livecd?  If so, perhaps squashfs is
not compiled into the initrd modules or the actual livecd boot kernel?
Could be bad media?

Have you tried directly mounting the livecd.squashfs that resides on the
cdrom from a running box to verify it is sane?

I.e mount the cdrom at /mnt/cdrom, then:

mount -o loop -t squashfs /mnt/cdrom/livecd.squashfs /mnt/wherever

Re: catalyst 2.0 problem

Jon Hood
Mikey wrote:

>I assume you are attempting to boot the livecd?  If so, perhaps squashfs is
>not compiled into the initrd modules or the actual livecd boot kernel?
>Could be bad media?

using vmware on the iso image I built; you may be right that the kernel
does not have squashfs support. How do I build that in? I see no option
in the kernel configuration to enable squashfs support, but it seems
like I saw that option before...

>Have you tried directly mounting the livecd.squashfs that resides on the
>cdrom from a running box to verify it is sane?

yep, it's sane

Thanks,
Jon

Re: catalyst 2.0 problem

Jon Hood
Paul Kessler wrote:

"For some reason my e-mail isn’t hitting the list. Do this: cat <kernel
config file> | grep SQUASHFS
If is says no then you need to fix your kernel config and enable squashfs."

yet when I "grep -i SQUASH .config" I get nothing back. How can I add
squashfs support to my kernel? Is it that much better than zisofs?

-Jon

Re: catalyst 2.0 problem

Mikey-4
On Thursday 22 December 2005 09:50, Jon Hood spammed:

> using vmware on the iso image I built; you may be right that the kernel
> does not have squashfs support. How do I build that in? I see no option
> in the kernel configuration to enable squashfs support, but it seems
> like I saw that option before...

For the 2.6 kernel, I believe you need:

File Systems -> Miscellaneous filesystems -> SquashFS

Re: catalyst 2.0 problem

Jon Hood
Mikey wrote:

>For the 2.6 kernel, I believe you need:
>
>File Systems -> Miscellaneous filesystems -> SquashFS

Ah, I'm using vanilla-sources (we are currently working with Dell to
solve a problem with how their motherboard doesn't work right with the
gentoo-sources on poweredge sc420 servers with certain hardware
installed- it is a dell problem, not a gentoo problem) which doesn't
have the squashfs patch- that's what was so confusing. Thank you guys
for the help; I'll have to patch the livecd kernel manually to work with
the special hardware we need.

-Jon