catalyst-2.0-rc31 Unable to auto-bind /dev

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

catalyst-2.0-rc31 Unable to auto-bind /dev

landru
Hi,

Trying to build my viminal livecd using catalyst 2 (rc31).
Livecd-stage1 step compiles all the packages defined in the spec file
but ended with error "!!! catalyst: Unable to auto-bind /dev"

/dev and /var/tmp/catalyst2/snapshot-cache/viminal-20060206/portage
remained mounted. Unable to manually unmount these dirs, as devices
are busy.
What's wrong ?

- Is there sommething missing in my  catalyst2 livecd-stage1 spec
file.Since catalyst1 I only made a minor change, as portdir-overlay
is no longer supported in my snapshot spec file, I added
portage-overlay statement in my livecd-stage1 spec file.

- Other change since catalyst1 :  As my /var partition is near full.
/var/tmp/catalyst2 is a symlink on /extra/catalyst2

Any idea ?

Thank you

Jacques Landru

Below, end of the catalyst 2 output (sorry if it's long).

============ catalyst 2 output ==============
.
.
.
>>> No outdated packages were found on your system.


 * Regenerating GNU info directory index...
 * Processed 111 info files.
removing
/var/tmp/catalyst2/tmp/default-linux/livecd-stage1-x86-2005.1-r1/tmp/c
hroot-functions.sh from the chroot
Running action sequence: unbind
umount:
/extra/catalyst2/tmp/default-linux/livecd-stage1-x86-2005.1-r1/dev:
device is busy
umount:
/extra/catalyst2/tmp/default-linux/livecd-stage1-x86-2005.1-r1/dev:
device is busy
!!! catalyst: First attempt to unmount:
/var/tmp/catalyst2/tmp/default-linux/livecd-stage1-x86-2005.1-r1//dev
failed.
!!! catalyst: Killing any pids still running in the chroot
Checking for processes running in chroot and killing them.
umount:
/extra/catalyst2/tmp/default-linux/livecd-stage1-x86-2005.1-r1/dev:
device is busy
umount:
/extra/catalyst2/tmp/default-linux/livecd-stage1-x86-2005.1-r1/dev:
device is busy
!!! catalyst: Couldn't umount bind mount:
/var/tmp/catalyst2/tmp/default-linux/livecd-stage1-x86-2005.1-r1//dev

!!! catalyst: Couldn't umount one or more bind-mounts; aborting for
safety.

umount:
/extra/catalyst2/tmp/default-linux/livecd-stage1-x86-2005.1-r1/dev:
device is busy
umount:
/extra/catalyst2/tmp/default-linux/livecd-stage1-x86-2005.1-r1/dev:
device is busy
/dev is still mounted; performing auto-bind-umount... !!! catalyst:
First attempt to unmount:
/var/tmp/catalyst2/tmp/default-linux/livecd-stage1-x86-2005.1-r1//dev
failed.
!!! catalyst: Killing any pids still running in the chroot
Checking for processes running in chroot and killing them.
umount:
/extra/catalyst2/tmp/default-linux/livecd-stage1-x86-2005.1-r1/dev:
device is busy
umount:
/extra/catalyst2/tmp/default-linux/livecd-stage1-x86-2005.1-r1/dev:
device is busy
!!! catalyst: Couldn't umount bind mount:
/var/tmp/catalyst2/tmp/default-linux/livecd-stage1-x86-2005.1-r1//dev

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "modules/generic_stage_target.py", line 1064, in run
    apply(getattr(self,x))
  File "modules/generic_stage_target.py", line 819, in unbind
    raise CatalystError,"Couldn't umount one or more bind-mounts;
aborting for safety."
CatalystError: <unprintable instance object>
None

!!! catalyst: Couldn't umount one or more bind-mounts; aborting for
safety.


Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "modules/generic_stage_target.py", line 547, in
mount_safety_check
    self.unbind()
  File "modules/generic_stage_target.py", line 819, in unbind
    raise CatalystError,"Couldn't umount one or more bind-mounts;
aborting for safety."
CatalystError: <unprintable instance object>
None

!!! catalyst: Unable to auto-unbind /dev


Catalyst aborting....

============ catalyst 2 output ==============


--
[hidden email] mailing list

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: catalyst-2.0-rc31 Unable to auto-bind /dev

Chris Gianelloni
On Wed, 2006-02-08 at 15:04 +0100, [hidden email] wrote:
> /dev and /var/tmp/catalyst2/snapshot-cache/viminal-20060206/portage
> remained mounted. Unable to manually unmount these dirs, as devices
> are busy.
> What's wrong ?

Are you using udev?

--
Chris Gianelloni
Release Engineering - Strategic Lead
x86 Architecture Team
Games - Developer
Gentoo Linux

signature.asc (196 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: catalyst-2.0-rc31 Unable to auto-bind /dev

landru
Chris Gianelloni wrote:

> On Wed, 2006-02-08 at 15:04 +0100, [hidden email] wrote:
>  
>> /dev and /var/tmp/catalyst2/snapshot-cache/viminal-20060206/portage
>> remained mounted. Unable to manually unmount these dirs, as devices
>> are busy.
>> What's wrong ?
>>    
>
> Are you using udev?
>
>  
I am on a 2.6.15-gentoo-r1-skas3-v8.2 kernel
It's a gentoo-sources-2.6.15-r1 with Blaisorblade's  2.6.15 skas3-v8.2
patch.
devfs is not yet supported since 2.6.13 or 2.6.14
My sys-fs/udev package is 079-r1

Before 2.6.13 in my kernel config file devfs was still set and
"automatically mounted at boot". was also set.
So I don't know exactly if my system is a pure udev system.

Jacques Landru

    -----oOo-----
 Jacques Landru
   mel:  [hidden email]
   web:  http://www.enic.fr/people/landru
   tel:  +33 (0)3 2033 5556
   fax:  +33 (0)3 2033 5598

 E.N.I.C. Telecom Lille I
 Cite scientifique, rue G. Marconi
 59658 VILLENEUVE D'ASCQ  Cedex
  web: http://www.enic.fr
  Tel: +33 (0)3 2033 5577
  Fax: +33 (0)3 2033 5599
    -----oOo-----

--
[hidden email] mailing list

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: catalyst-2.0-rc31 Unable to auto-bind /dev

Chris Gianelloni
On Wed, 2006-02-08 at 17:36 +0100, Jacques Landru wrote:

> Chris Gianelloni wrote:
> > On Wed, 2006-02-08 at 15:04 +0100, [hidden email] wrote:
> >  
> >> /dev and /var/tmp/catalyst2/snapshot-cache/viminal-20060206/portage
> >> remained mounted. Unable to manually unmount these dirs, as devices
> >> are busy.
> >> What's wrong ?
> >>    
> >
> > Are you using udev?
> >
> >  
> I am on a 2.6.15-gentoo-r1-skas3-v8.2 kernel
> It's a gentoo-sources-2.6.15-r1 with Blaisorblade's  2.6.15 skas3-v8.2
> patch.
> devfs is not yet supported since 2.6.13 or 2.6.14
> My sys-fs/udev package is 079-r1
>
> Before 2.6.13 in my kernel config file devfs was still set and
> "automatically mounted at boot". was also set.
> So I don't know exactly if my system is a pure udev system.
So before 2.6.13 you were using devfs.  Anyway, not really the main
problem.  Have you tried upgrading your udev version?  I am thinking
that using a newer version might resolve it.  There are specific
versions of udev (unfortunately, I don't know which, as I have never
experienced the problem myself) where this appears to be happening for
some users.

Also, if you're using reiser4, it is known to not work with
catalyst/genkernel properly.

--
Chris Gianelloni
Release Engineering - Strategic Lead
x86 Architecture Team
Games - Developer
Gentoo Linux

signature.asc (196 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: catalyst-2.0-rc31 Unable to auto-bind /dev

landru
Chris Gianelloni wrote:
> O
> So before 2.6.13 you were using devfs.  Anyway, not really the main
> problem.  Have you tried upgrading your udev version?  I am thinking
> that using a newer version might resolve it.  There are specific
> versions of udev (unfortunately, I don't know which, as I have never
> experienced the problem myself) where this appears to be happening for
> some users.
>  
Upgraded to udev 084 : No change, still have the umount problem
> Also, if you're using reiser4, it is known to not work with
> catalyst/genkernel properly.
>
>  
No only ext3 and reiserfs



Jacques Landru

--

    -----oOo-----
 Jacques Landru
   mel:  [hidden email]
   web:  http://www.enic.fr/people/landru
   tel:  +33 (0)3 2033 5556
   fax:  +33 (0)3 2033 5598

 E.N.I.C. Telecom Lille I
 Cite scientifique, rue G. Marconi
 59658 VILLENEUVE D'ASCQ  Cedex
  web: http://www.enic.fr
  Tel: +33 (0)3 2033 5577
  Fax: +33 (0)3 2033 5599
    -----oOo-----

--
[hidden email] mailing list

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

catalyst-2.0-rc39, Problem creating snapshot

Heiko Kopp
Hi,

In rc39, file /usr/lib/catalyst2/modules/snapshot_target.py the
Corresponding class should inherit generic_stage_target and not
Generic_target, else a call

    self.gen_digest_file(self.settings ...) line 63

fails.

Could someone please check if I'm correct, at least the snapshot
Generation worked again after changing this.

Best regards,

Heiko Kopp


--
[hidden email] mailing list