cfengine with emerge...

Alexandre Racine-2

Hi all,

Is there someone here that use cfengine with emerge? The idea would be to put a new machine in place, run cfengine and all programs would be emerge just like all the other machines. But how would you do it to test if the program is installed? The worst thing I can think of  is to “eix program | grep program | grep installed or not” and I don’t want that J

Have a nice day.

Alexandre Racine

[hidden email]

514-461-1300 poste 3304

Re: cfengine with emerge...

Bugzilla from kyron@neuralbs.com

Alexandre Racine wrote:

Hi all,

Is there someone here that use cfengine with emerge? The idea would be to put a new machine in place, run cfengine and all programs would be emerge just like all the other machines. But how would you do it to test if the program is installed? The worst thing I can think of  is to “eix program | grep program | grep installed or not” and I don’t want that J

eix isn't bad and it's the fastest I know. I don't use cfengine so I can't tell you if there are adverse effects to using it with portage. You're maybe just not calling eix in the right way tog et the info you want, here are a few examples:

kyron linux-2.6.26-rc5-mm3 # eix -Ic c3
No matches found.
kyron linux-2.6.26-rc5-mm3 # eix -Ic portage

[I] app-portage/portage-utils (0.1.29@04/13/2008): small and fast portage helper tools written in C
[I] sys-apps/portage (2.1.4.4@06/11/2008): Portage is the package management and distribution system for Gentoo
Found 2 matches.
kyron linux-2.6.26-rc5-mm3 # eix -Ic sys-apps/portage
[I] sys-apps/portage (2.1.4.4@06/11/2008): Portage is the package management and distribution system for Gentoo

Have a nice day.

Alexandre Racine

[hidden email]

514-461-1300 poste 3304

PS: ptêtre que mon projet pourraît t'intéresser: http://soc.gentooexperimental.org/projects/show/gentoo-cluster-seed ;)

Eric Thibodeau
514-736-1436

Re: cfengine with emerge...

Daniel van Ham Colchete
Alexandre,

I'm using cfengine with it. There is a module called "cfportage" (it's at /var/cfengine/modules) that will define a class if you don't have a package installed or if you have an older version. If the class defined I'll do a shell command to install it.

I'm also using catalyst to automate the building, I also have a standard Gentoo replicas on all my servers.

I just all my servers last week (new catalyst build), so I lost my cfengine scripts. Otherwise I would post them here.

If you find a better way of doing it (like installing without a shell script) please let me know.

Best,
Daniel

On Mon, Jul 14, 2008 at 11:51 AM, Alexandre Racine <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi all,

Is there someone here that use cfengine with emerge? The idea would be to put a new machine in place, run cfengine and all programs would be emerge just like all the other machines. But how would you do it to test if the program is installed? The worst thing I can think of  is to "eix program | grep program | grep installed or not" and I don't want that J

Have a nice day.

Alexandre Racine

[hidden email]

514-461-1300 poste 3304

RE: cfengine with emerge...

Alexandre Racine-2

Thanks, I am looking at it. It look like the latest version has integrated this module. So you can add one line and after that simply do a “action=install”. I did not try it yet, but I am getting there J

http://www.cfengine.org/docs/cfengine-Reference.html#PortageInstallCommand

Thanks for the hint.

Alexandre Racine

[hidden email]