default gateway problem

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

default gateway problem

tcoulon
Hello,

I had tried Gentoo two years ago and now I'm back after some time using a
Debian derivate (is still my main system for the time being).

I spent quite a time emerging and compiling from a stage 2 and most things
seem to work well. There are two little things that don't work just the way
I'd like however and I could not figure out how to cure them so far:

- I have a Ti4200 Nvidia card. I compiled my kernel with genkernel --configure
and (I think) did everything required to have framebuffer support but I can't
get a splash screen to work. Well, that's not important so I go for a text
boot, no problem, but I'd love to have a good information about
framebuffers.... anyone know where I should look?

- my main problem was that, while my netwrok would start OK, the default
gateway would not be set, I had to do it by hand. The informations I found
were about /etc/conf.d/net but this file seems ok:

config_eth0=( "192.168.1.31 netmask 255.255.255.0" )
route_eth0=( "default gw 192.168.1.51" )

other sources talked from an /etc/conf.d/route , but that file does not exist
and I have no clue as to its syntax.

What I did now was to add he following into local.start:

route add default gateway <IP>

But I think this is not the best way to do. Were should I put that default
gateway information so that it works?

Thierry

--
The problem with the world is stupidity. Not saying there should be a
capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the
safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?
Frank Zappa
--
[hidden email] mailing list

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: default gateway problem

John Jolet
I do it in the /etc/conf.d/net.  "default gw 192.168.0.1" is the entry and it
goes in fine.  however, the entry I have is "routes_eth0" not "route_eth0".  

On Sunday 06 November 2005 16:25, Thierry de Coulon wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I had tried Gentoo two years ago and now I'm back after some time using a
> Debian derivate (is still my main system for the time being).
>
> I spent quite a time emerging and compiling from a stage 2 and most things
> seem to work well. There are two little things that don't work just the way
> I'd like however and I could not figure out how to cure them so far:
>
> - I have a Ti4200 Nvidia card. I compiled my kernel with genkernel
> --configure and (I think) did everything required to have framebuffer
> support but I can't get a splash screen to work. Well, that's not important
> so I go for a text boot, no problem, but I'd love to have a good
> information about
> framebuffers.... anyone know where I should look?
>
> - my main problem was that, while my netwrok would start OK, the default
> gateway would not be set, I had to do it by hand. The informations I found
> were about /etc/conf.d/net but this file seems ok:
>
> config_eth0=( "192.168.1.31 netmask 255.255.255.0" )
> route_eth0=( "default gw 192.168.1.51" )
>
> other sources talked from an /etc/conf.d/route , but that file does not
> exist and I have no clue as to its syntax.
>
> What I did now was to add he following into local.start:
>
> route add default gateway <IP>
>
> But I think this is not the best way to do. Were should I put that default
> gateway information so that it works?
>
> Thierry
>
> --
> The problem with the world is stupidity. Not saying there should be a
> capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the
> safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?
> Frank Zappa

--
John Jolet
Your On-Demand IT Department
512-762-0729
www.jolet.net
[hidden email]
--
[hidden email] mailing list

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: default gateway problem

tcoulon
On Sunday, 6 November 2005 21:30, John Jolet wrote:
> I do it in the /etc/conf.d/net.  "default gw 192.168.0.1" is the entry and
> it goes in fine.  however, the entry I have is "routes_eth0" not
> "route_eth0".

Thanks, that was it - I must have made a typo...

Thierry

--
The problem with the world is stupidity. Not saying there should be a
capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the
safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?
Frank Zappa
--
[hidden email] mailing list

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: default gateway problem

John Jolet
that's one of those things that you can stare at ALL day and ever see the
missing "s". I usually call another admin over after 30 minutes of that sort
of thing. :)

On Sunday 06 November 2005 17:09, Thierry de Coulon wrote:

> On Sunday, 6 November 2005 21:30, John Jolet wrote:
> > I do it in the /etc/conf.d/net.  "default gw 192.168.0.1" is the entry
> > and it goes in fine.  however, the entry I have is "routes_eth0" not
> > "route_eth0".
>
> Thanks, that was it - I must have made a typo...
>
> Thierry
>
> --
> The problem with the world is stupidity. Not saying there should be a
> capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the
> safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?
> Frank Zappa

--
John Jolet
Your On-Demand IT Department
512-762-0729
www.jolet.net
[hidden email]

--
[hidden email] mailing list