elogind problem

William Kenworthy
Hi,

    I have just replaced console-kit with elogind and while its fixed my
X server problems, its brought some downsides as well.  Primarily, I
used to use acpi to hibernate but elogind has coopted the power button
so acpid doesnt get the signal, and added a suspend to lid closure but
then I cant run scripts to recover the touch screen etc.
(MSsurfacePro4).  I could deal with that except the docs for
systemd-logind (the elogind docs refer there) say they have removed the
possibility run arbitrary scripts from logind (and so I assume also
elogind).

So how can I recover the hardware to a working state using elogind?
Worst case would seem to be disable elogind hibernate/suspend in its
config file and handle it old school but is there a better way using
elogind?

Bill K.

Re: elogind problem

Michael Palimaka
Hi Bill,,

On 4/25/19 12:51 PM, Bill Kenworthy wrote:

> Hi,
>
>      I have just replaced console-kit with elogind and while its fixed my
> X server problems, its brought some downsides as well.  Primarily, I
> used to use acpi to hibernate but elogind has coopted the power button
> so acpid doesnt get the signal, and added a suspend to lid closure but
> then I cant run scripts to recover the touch screen etc.
> (MSsurfacePro4).  I could deal with that except the docs for
> systemd-logind (the elogind docs refer there) say they have removed the
> possibility run arbitrary scripts from logind (and so I assume also
> elogind).
>
> So how can I recover the hardware to a working state using elogind?
> Worst case would seem to be disable elogind hibernate/suspend in its
> config file and handle it old school but is there a better way using
> elogind?
>
> Bill K.

While I don't have an answer, I suggest to discuss with upstream at
https://github.com/elogind/elogind/issues or
https://forums.prydeworx.com/. Sven is extremely knowledgeable and
responsive (and also happens to be a fellow Gentoo-er).

Kind regards,

Michael

Re: elogind problem

Przemek Socha
Dnia czwartek, 25 kwietnia 2019 06:39:20 CEST Michael Palimaka pisze:

> Hi Bill,,
>
> On 4/25/19 12:51 PM, Bill Kenworthy wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> >      I have just replaced console-kit with elogind and while its fixed my
> >
> > X server problems, its brought some downsides as well.  Primarily, I
> > used to use acpi to hibernate but elogind has coopted the power button
> > so acpid doesnt get the signal, and added a suspend to lid closure but
> > then I cant run scripts to recover the touch screen etc.
> > (MSsurfacePro4).  I could deal with that except the docs for
> > systemd-logind (the elogind docs refer there) say they have removed the
> > possibility run arbitrary scripts from logind (and so I assume also
> > elogind).
> >
> > So how can I recover the hardware to a working state using elogind?
> > Worst case would seem to be disable elogind hibernate/suspend in its
> > config file and handle it old school but is there a better way using
> > elogind?
> >
> > Bill K.
>
> While I don't have an answer, I suggest to discuss with upstream at
> https://github.com/elogind/elogind/issues or
> https://forums.prydeworx.com/. Sven is extremely knowledgeable and
> responsive (and also happens to be a fellow Gentoo-er).
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Michael
I am using elogind with openrc.
When there is a need to run custom scripts on my netbook I place those in
respectively:
 - for suspend: /lib64/elogind/system-suspend/
 - for resume: /lib64/elogind/system-resume/
 - for shutdown: /lib64/elogind/system-shutdown/
I made them executable with chmod + x [name of the script].
On some systems it is necessary to create those folders manually.

I hope this helps.
Przemek.

Re: elogind problem

Przemek Socha
Dnia czwartek, 25 kwietnia 2019 06:39:20 CEST Michael Palimaka pisze:

> Hi Bill,,
>
> On 4/25/19 12:51 PM, Bill Kenworthy wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> >      I have just replaced console-kit with elogind and while its fixed my
> >
> > X server problems, its brought some downsides as well.  Primarily, I
> > used to use acpi to hibernate but elogind has coopted the power button
> > so acpid doesnt get the signal, and added a suspend to lid closure but
> > then I cant run scripts to recover the touch screen etc.
> > (MSsurfacePro4).  I could deal with that except the docs for
> > systemd-logind (the elogind docs refer there) say they have removed the
> > possibility run arbitrary scripts from logind (and so I assume also
> > elogind).
> >
> > So how can I recover the hardware to a working state using elogind?
> > Worst case would seem to be disable elogind hibernate/suspend in its
> > config file and handle it old school but is there a better way using
> > elogind?
> >
> > Bill K.
>
> While I don't have an answer, I suggest to discuss with upstream at
> https://github.com/elogind/elogind/issues or
> https://forums.prydeworx.com/. Sven is extremely knowledgeable and
> responsive (and also happens to be a fellow Gentoo-er).
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Michael
Sorry,
I've just checked and as an erratum:
folder name for suspend action should be: /lib64/elogind/system-sleep/

Bests,
Przemek.