ephemeral keyword override?

Ian Zimmerman-3
When I'm thinking about installing a package, I can say

USE='foo' emerge -p some-cat/some-package

to see what would happen, without changing any /etc files.  Is there a
similar way to specify a keyword override, without changing
/etc/portage/package.accept_keywords?  Something along the lines of

ACCEPT_KEYWORDS='<=some-cat/some-package-9999 ~amd64' \
USE='foo' emerge -p some-cat/some-package

or am I dreaming?

Do obvious transformation on domain to reply privately _only_ on Usenet.

Re: ephemeral keyword override?

Neil Bothwick
On Tue, 3 Oct 2017 09:03:06 -0700, Ian Zimmerman wrote:

> When I'm thinking about installing a package, I can say
>
> USE='foo' emerge -p some-cat/some-package
>
> to see what would happen, without changing any /etc files.  Is there a
> similar way to specify a keyword override, without changing
> /etc/portage/package.accept_keywords?  Something along the lines of
>
> ACCEPT_KEYWORDS='<=some-cat/some-package-9999 ~amd64' \
> USE='foo' emerge -p some-cat/some-package
ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~amd64" emerge somepkg

--
Neil Bothwick

Growing old is mandatory; growing up is optional!!

On 2017-10-03 17:51, Neil Bothwick wrote:

> > When I'm thinking about installing a package, I can say
> >
> > USE='foo' emerge -p some-cat/some-package
> >
> > to see what would happen, without changing any /etc files.  Is there a
> > similar way to specify a keyword override, without changing
> > /etc/portage/package.accept_keywords?  Something along the lines of
> >
> > ACCEPT_KEYWORDS='<=some-cat/some-package-9999 ~amd64' \
> > USE='foo' emerge -p some-cat/some-package
>
> ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~amd64" emerge somepkg

Thanks for the reply, I did learn something new from it.  Nonetheless it
should be quite obvious that it does something different from what I was

On Tue, 3 Oct 2017 11:13:31 -0700, Ian Zimmerman wrote:

> > > When I'm thinking about installing a package, I can say
> > >
> > > USE='foo' emerge -p some-cat/some-package
> > >
> > > to see what would happen, without changing any /etc files.  Is
> > > there a similar way to specify a keyword override, without changing
> > > /etc/portage/package.accept_keywords?  Something along the lines of
> > >
> > > ACCEPT_KEYWORDS='<=some-cat/some-package-9999 ~amd64' \
> > > USE='foo' emerge -p some-cat/some-package
> >
> > ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~amd64" emerge somepkg
>
> Thanks for the reply, I did learn something new from it.  Nonetheless it
> should be quite obvious that it does something different from what I was
> "dreaming".
You included the package atom on the env var, al la /etc/portage/package.*
syntax, which you should have included only the setting.

The trouble with setting this on the command line is that it will be
changed on your next update. I prefer you have /etc/portage/package.* as
directories, then I have a fail called temp in each that included the
settings I am only trying out. When I have finished experimenting I can
delete the file.

--
Neil Bothwick

"Do not handicap your children by making their lives easy."
 -- Robert Heinlein

On 2017-10-03 21:14, Neil Bothwick wrote:

> > > ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~amd64" emerge somepkg
>
> You included the package atom on the env var, al la
> /etc/portage/package.* syntax, which you should have included only the
> setting.

The difference is that in my hypothetical syntax, the unfiltering is
scoped _only_ to the specific package I am installing, and not to any of
the dependencies.  I should have said so explicitly, sorry for that.

On Tue, 3 Oct 2017 15:00:13 -0700, Ian Zimmerman wrote:

> > You included the package atom on the env var, al la
> > /etc/portage/package.* syntax, which you should have included only the
> > setting.
>
> The difference is that in my hypothetical syntax, the unfiltering is
> scoped _only_ to the specific package I am installing, and not to any of
> the dependencies.  I should have said so explicitly, sorry for that.
The ACCEPT_KEYWORDS variable doesn't work like that, any more than USE
does. It only contains the keywords to accept. To do what you want, use
package.accept_keywords.

--
Neil Bothwick

Member, National Association For Tagline Assimilators (NAFTA)