eselect-mpi and boost mpi

Bryan Green-3
Hello,

Now that I am using empi/eselect-mpi, I would like to install boost-1.35.0
with its MPI library (it has an 'mpi' use flag).
When I try to emerge it, it trys to pull in sys-cluster/openmpi as a
dependency.  I tried adding sys-cluster/openmpi to
/etc/portage/package.provided, but for some reason that does not work.

Any suggestions on how to get boost-mpi to build against my eselected
MPI?  I also wonder if it would really be necessary build a version of boost
for each MPI package installed, using 'empi --add ...'.  That seems like
overkill.

Thanks,
-bgreen

Re: eselect-mpi and boost mpi

Alli Quaknaa
Isn't it /etc/portage/profile/package.provided? At least on my system it is ;)
al-Quaknaa

Re: eselect-mpi and boost mpi

Bryan Green-3
"Alli Quaknaa" writes:
> Isn't it /etc/portage/profile/package.provided? At least on my system it is ;
> )

Ah, you are correct sir.  :)

Thanks.
-bryan

Re: eselect-mpi and boost mpi

Bryan Green-3
Bryan Green writes:

> Hello,
>
> Now that I am using empi/eselect-mpi, I would like to install boost-1.35.0
> with its MPI library (it has an 'mpi' use flag).
> When I try to emerge it, it trys to pull in sys-cluster/openmpi as a
> dependency.  I tried adding sys-cluster/openmpi to
> /etc/portage/package.provided, but for some reason that does not work.
>
> Any suggestions on how to get boost-mpi to build against my eselected
> MPI?  I also wonder if it would really be necessary build a version of boost
> for each MPI package installed, using 'empi --add ...'.  That seems like
> overkill.

Having added openmpi to /etc/portage/profile/package.provided,
I can emerge boost with mpi, but the mpi autodetect fails during the
compilation with this message:

MPI auto-detection failed: unknown wrapper compiler mpic++

The same occurs if I run 'ebuild ... compile'.
But if I run the same command as root from the resulting /var/tmp/.../work
directory, the detection is successful.

Any ideas what might be going on here?  What part of the ebuild environment
changes such that it does not see mpic++ anymore?

-bryan

Re: eselect-mpi and boost mpi

Justin Bronder-2
On 13/06/08 14:29 -0700, Bryan Green wrote:

> Bryan Green writes:
> > Hello,
> >
> > Now that I am using empi/eselect-mpi, I would like to install boost-1.35.0
> > with its MPI library (it has an 'mpi' use flag).
> > When I try to emerge it, it trys to pull in sys-cluster/openmpi as a
> > dependency.  I tried adding sys-cluster/openmpi to
> > /etc/portage/package.provided, but for some reason that does not work.
> >
> > Any suggestions on how to get boost-mpi to build against my eselected
> > MPI?  I also wonder if it would really be necessary build a version of boost
> > for each MPI package installed, using 'empi --add ...'.  That seems like
> > overkill.
>
> Having added openmpi to /etc/portage/profile/package.provided,
> I can emerge boost with mpi, but the mpi autodetect fails during the
> compilation with this message:
>
> MPI auto-detection failed: unknown wrapper compiler mpic++
>
> The same occurs if I run 'ebuild ... compile'.
> But if I run the same command as root from the resulting /var/tmp/.../work
> directory, the detection is successful.
>
> Any ideas what might be going on here?  What part of the ebuild environment
> changes such that it does not see mpic++ anymore?
>
> -bryan

I haven't looked at this, but if you only have openmpi as installed by empi,
then that's the missing part.  The emerge environment isn't getting the
variables set with eselect-mpi.

Also, if boost is actually linking against mpi, then you will need to get an
mpi.eclass enabled ebuild to use it, which does mean building it for each
implementation you have installed.

I can take a look at the ebuild this weekend or early next week, and
hopefully a port wouldn't be too much work.

--
Justin Bronder