/etc/profile is gone - how to chroot

Helmut Jarausch
Hi,

previously and still documented nearly everywhere

one has to do

env-update
source /etc/profile

after chroot

but in recent systems, the file /etc/profile is gone.

How to adapt the environment in a new system?

Many thanks for a hint,
Helmut.

Re: /etc/profile is gone - how to chroot

Paul Hartman-3

Do you have baselayout installed? /etc/profile should be included in baselayout.

On 07/24/13 16:34:46, Paul Hartman wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 24, 2013 at 9:25 AM, Helmut Jarausch
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > previously and still documented nearly everywhere
> >
> > one has to do
> >
> > env-update
> > source /etc/profile
> >
> > after chroot
> >
> > but in recent systems, the file /etc/profile is gone.
> >
> > How to adapt the environment in a new system?
>
> Hi,
>
> Do you have baselayout installed? /etc/profile should be included in
> baselayout.

Thanks, I had to reinstall baselayout (2.2). I wonder which package
(systemd?) has removed /etc/profile
since I didn't do it myself.
Helmut.

Re: /etc/profile is gone - how to chroot

Paul Hartman-3
On Wed, Jul 24, 2013 at 10:16 AM, Helmut Jarausch
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 07/24/13 16:34:46, Paul Hartman wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Jul 24, 2013 at 9:25 AM, Helmut Jarausch
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > previously and still documented nearly everywhere
>> >
>> > one has to do
>> >
>> > env-update
>> > source /etc/profile
>> >
>> > after chroot
>> >
>> > but in recent systems, the file /etc/profile is gone.
>> >
>> > How to adapt the environment in a new system?
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Do you have baselayout installed? /etc/profile should be included in
>> baselayout.
>>

> Thanks, I had to reinstall baselayout (2.2). I wonder which package
> (systemd?) has removed /etc/profile
> since I didn't do it myself.
> Helmut.

looks like both openrc and systemd should depend on baselayout, so
that is very strange... Maybe you should file a bug about it.