gcc 4.1.1-r3?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
8 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

gcc 4.1.1-r3?

Davide Cittaro-2
Hi all, I'm trying to upgrade to alpha profile for gentoo 2007. Since gcc 4.1.1 has been considered stable, it is included in my system emerge process. BTW I cannot compile it. Before posting the bug report on bugs.gentoo.org, I would like to know if somebody here has gcc 4.1.1 working on gentoo alpha 


# emerge --info
Portage 2.1.2.2 (default-linux/alpha/2007.0, gcc-3.4.6, glibc-2.3.5-r3, 2.4.30 alpha)
=================================================================
System uname: 2.4.30 alpha EV68CB
Gentoo Base System release 1.12.9
Timestamp of tree: Mon, 14 May 2007 08:00:11 +0000
dev-lang/python:     2.3.5-r3, 2.4.4
dev-python/pycrypto: 2.0.1-r5
sys-apps/sandbox:    1.2.17
sys-devel/autoconf:  2.13, 2.61
sys-devel/automake:  1.4_p6, 1.5, 1.6.3, 1.7.9-r1, 1.8.5-r3, 1.9.6-r2, 1.10
sys-devel/binutils:  2.17
sys-devel/gcc-config: 1.3.15-r1
sys-devel/libtool:   1.5.22
virtual/os-headers:  2.6.11-r4
ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="alpha"
AUTOCLEAN="yes"
CBUILD="alphaev67-unknown-linux-gnu"
CFLAGS="-mieee -mcpu=ev6 -O2 -pipe "
CHOST="alphaev67-unknown-linux-gnu"
CONFIG_PROTECT="/etc /usr/share/texmf/dvipdfm/config/ /usr/share/texmf/dvips/config/ /usr/share/texmf/tex/generic/config/ /usr/share/texmf/tex/platex/config/ /usr/share/texmf/xdvi/"
CONFIG_PROTECT_MASK="/etc/env.d /etc/gconf /etc/revdep-rebuild /etc/terminfo"
CXXFLAGS="-mieee -mcpu=ev6 -O2 -pipe "
DISTDIR="/usr/portage/distfiles"
FEATURES="distlocks metadata-transfer sandbox sfperms strict"
MAKEOPTS="-j3"
PKGDIR="/usr/portage/packages"
PORTAGE_RSYNC_OPTS="--recursive --links --safe-links --perms --times --compress --force --whole-file --delete --delete-after --stats --timeout=180 --exclude=/distfiles --exclude=/local --exclude=/packages --filter=H_**/files/digest-*"
PORTAGE_TMPDIR="/var/tmp"
PORTDIR="/usr/portage"
PORTDIR_OVERLAY="/usr/local/portage"
SYNC="rsync://rsync.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage"
USE="acl alpha berkdb bitmap-fonts cli cracklib crypt cups dri fortran gdbm gpm iconv ipv6 isdnlog libg++ midi mysql ncurses nls nptl nptlonly pam pcre perl pppd python readline reflection session spl ssl tcpd threads truetype-fonts type1-fonts unicode xorg zlib" ALSA_CARDS="ali5451 als4000 bt87x ca0106 cmipci emu10k1 ens1370 ens1371 es1938 es1968 fm801 hda-intel intel8x0 maestro3 trident usb-audio via82xx ymfpci" ALSA_PCM_PLUGINS="adpcm alaw asym copy dmix dshare dsnoop empty extplug file hooks iec958 ioplug ladspa lfloat linear meter mulaw multi null plug rate route share shm softvol" ELIBC="glibc" INPUT_DEVICES="keyboard mouse evdev" KERNEL="linux" LCD_DEVICES="bayrad cfontz cfontz633 glk hd44780 lb216 lcdm001 mtxorb ncurses text" USERLAND="GNU" VIDEO_CARDS="cirrus ati dummy fbdev glint mga nv rendition s3 s3virge savage siliconmotion sisusb tdfx tga v4l vga voodoo"
Unset:  CTARGET, EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS, INSTALL_MASK, LANG, LC_ALL, LDFLAGS, LINGUAS, PORTAGE_COMPRESS, PORTAGE_COMPRESS_FLAGS, PORTAGE_RSYNC_EXTRA_OPTS


d
/*
Davide Cittaro
HPC and Bioinformatics Systems @ Informatics Core

IFOM - Istituto FIRC di Oncologia Molecolare
via adamello, 16
20139 Milano
Italy

tel.: +39(02)574303007
*/


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: gcc 4.1.1-r3?

Jose Luis Rivero
Hello Davide:

Davide Cittaro escribió:
> Hi all, I'm trying to upgrade to alpha profile for gentoo 2007. Since
> gcc 4.1.1 has been considered stable, it is included in my system emerge
> process. BTW I cannot compile it. Before posting the bug report on
> bugs.gentoo.org, I would like to know if somebody here has gcc 4.1.1
> working on gentoo alpha
>
>

In Gentoo/Alpha gcc is usually well tested before it goes to stable (due
to the nature of our distribution). So yes, some of us have gcc 4.1.1
working on alpha.

Anyway, it's quite difficult to check every combination present in each
system, so probably something in your system is triggering the error.
Best thing to do is file a bug and attach there your emerge --info and
the error.

We'll be happy to take care of it.

Thanks.
Kind Regards.

--
Jose Luis Rivero <[hidden email]>
Gentoo/Doc Gentoo/Alpha
--
[hidden email] mailing list

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: gcc 4.1.1-r3?

Davide Cittaro-2
Hi

On May 14, 2007, at 11:42 AM, José Luis Rivero (yoswink) wrote:

Hello Davide:

Davide Cittaro escribió:
Hi all, I'm trying to upgrade to alpha profile for gentoo 2007. Since gcc 4.1.1 has been considered stable, it is included in my system emerge process. BTW I cannot compile it. Before posting the bug report on bugs.gentoo.org, I would like to know if somebody here has gcc 4.1.1 working on gentoo alpha 

In Gentoo/Alpha gcc is usually well tested before it goes to stable (due to the nature of our distribution). So yes, some of us have gcc 4.1.1 working on alpha.

Anyway, it's quite difficult to check every combination present in each system, so probably something in your system is triggering the error. Best thing to do is file a bug and attach there your emerge --info and the error.


done. it's bug 178482


in the meantime, do you have any hint? It is a DS25 (ev68 processor). I've tried to change -march flag from ev67 to ev6, I've tried to remove -j3 make option... no way!
I'm in the middle of a general upgrading, so it would be great to have a system working in a few time. Do you think I can go on in emerging system? I still miss these packages:

# emerge -Dup system

These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

Calculating system dependencies... done!
[ebuild  NS   ] sys-devel/gcc-4.1.1-r3  USE="fortran nls (-altivec) -bootstrap -build -doc -gcj -gtk (-hardened) -ip28 -ip32r10k -mudflap (-multilib) -multislot (-n32) (-n64) -nocxx -objc -objc++ -objc-gc -test -vanilla"
[ebuild     U ] sys-fs/e2fsprogs-1.39 [1.38-r1]
[ebuild  N    ] sys-apps/acl-2.2.39-r1  USE="nls -nfs"
[ebuild     U ] sys-libs/glibc-2.5-r2 [2.3.5-r3] USE="nptl* nptlonly* -debug%"
[ebuild     U ] net-misc/rsync-2.6.9-r1 [2.6.8-r2] USE="acl*"
[ebuild     U ] sys-apps/util-linux-2.12r-r5 [2.12r-r3]
[ebuild     U ] sys-devel/gcc-3.4.6-r2 [3.4.6-r1] USE="-d% -gtk* -test%"
[ebuild     U ] sys-fs/udev-104-r12 [070-r1]
[ebuild     U ] sys-apps/module-init-tools-3.2.2-r3 [3.2.1] USE="-no-old-linux%"
[ebuild     U ] sys-libs/pam-0.78-r5 [0.78-r3]
[ebuild     U ] sys-apps/shadow-4.0.18.1 [4.0.15-r2] USE="cracklib%*"
[ebuild     U ] net-misc/openssh-4.5_p1-r1 [4.3_p2-r5]

and a 2.6 kernel (of course). I was afraid that new kernel wouldn't work, but I have a bigger problem if neither gcc compiles... :-(

d

/*
Davide Cittaro
HPC and Bioinformatics Systems @ Informatics Core

IFOM - Istituto FIRC di Oncologia Molecolare
via adamello, 16
20139 Milano
Italy

tel.: +39(02)574303007
*/


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: gcc 4.1.1-r3?

Davide Cittaro-2
In reply to this post by Jose Luis Rivero
Hi again, I'm trying to compile it on my own, without portage and following portage "econf" value.
So, it seems I can compile (well, it hasn't ended yet, but seems to go on on stage2....)
I've noticed a thing. My CFLAGS are 

CFLAGS="-mieee -mcpu=ev67 -Wa,-mev6 -O2 -pipe "

as defined in /etc/make.conf, but as I emerge gcc, the CFLAGS that appear at the top (and used during gcc build) are

CFLAGS="-mieee -mcpu=ev67 -O2 -pipe "

so the "-Wa,-mev6" has been blown away.... In past times I've found that on ev68 processors this flag was necessary for compiling many things (including gcc), I can't recall where I found this, but I've posted it on safe cflags wiki on gentoo wiki.
Now I wonder how can I modify the gcc ebuild to prevent this (I prefer the use of ebuilds in place of manual installation), but gcc ebuild are pretty strange and fcc-4.1.1-r3 ebuild (like others, I presume) calls some emerge functions that are not within the ebuild itself. Can anybody help me on this?

Thanks

d

/*
Davide Cittaro
HPC and Bioinformatics Systems @ Informatics Core

IFOM - Istituto FIRC di Oncologia Molecolare
via adamello, 16
20139 Milano
Italy

tel.: +39(02)574303007
*/


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: gcc 4.1.1-r3?

Davide Cittaro-2

On May 14, 2007, at 12:26 PM, Davide Cittaro wrote:

Hi again, I'm trying to compile it on my own, without portage and following portage "econf" value.
So, it seems I can compile (well, it hasn't ended yet, but seems to go on on stage2....)

Ok, it compiles

I've noticed a thing. My CFLAGS are 

CFLAGS="-mieee -mcpu=ev67 -Wa,-mev6 -O2 -pipe "

as defined in /etc/make.conf, but as I emerge gcc, the CFLAGS that appear at the top (and used during gcc build) are

CFLAGS="-mieee -mcpu=ev67 -O2 -pipe "

so the "-Wa,-mev6" has been blown away.... 

I've tried this:

# ALLOWED_FLAGS='-mieee -march -Wa,-mev6 -O2 -pipe' emerge -O gcc

it inserts the '-Wa,-mev6' flag into the configure script but it segfaults the same... :-(
I wonder if configure/make/make install will be ok and if eselect utility understands that gcc-4.1.1 has been installed (manually). I'm going to add it into /etc/portage/package.provided...

d

/*
Davide Cittaro
HPC and Bioinformatics Systems @ Informatics Core

IFOM - Istituto FIRC di Oncologia Molecolare
via adamello, 16
20139 Milano
Italy

tel.: +39(02)574303007
*/


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: gcc 4.1.1-r3? [last update]

Davide Cittaro-2
Hi all again! I'm sorry for this but I would like to give you an update on what's happening here.
I've done with gcc emerging, at least. I had to compile and install it manually, add a proper /etc/env.d/gcc config file, let gcc-config select the new gcc-4.1.1 and then reemerge it. It seems to work fine. I can go on with emerging an updated system, I hope.

BTW, I'm courious: how many people in this list have a DS25 or at least an ev68 processor? It seems we are very few people and it is hard to fix errors...

Cheers

d

/*
Davide Cittaro
HPC and Bioinformatics Systems @ Informatics Core

IFOM - Istituto FIRC di Oncologia Molecolare
via adamello, 16
20139 Milano
Italy

tel.: +39(02)574303007
*/


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: gcc 4.1.1-r3? [last update]

Bryan Østergaard
On Mon, May 14, 2007 at 02:57:08PM +0200, Davide Cittaro wrote:

> Hi all again! I'm sorry for this but I would like to give you an  
> update on what's happening here.
> I've done with gcc emerging, at least. I had to compile and install  
> it manually, add a proper /etc/env.d/gcc config file, let gcc-config  
> select the new gcc-4.1.1 and then reemerge it. It seems to work fine.  
> I can go on with emerging an updated system, I hope.
>
> BTW, I'm courious: how many people in this list have a DS25 or at  
> least an ev68 processor? It seems we are very few people and it is  
> hard to fix errors...
>
Couple of things here..

First, adding -Wa,-mev6 to CFLAGS and CXXFLAGS is definitely not needed
and I would expect it break a few things personally.

Second, I've been using gcc-4.1.1-r3 for months on EV68 system(s) with
no problem at all. I'm maintaining all the toolchain stuff on alpha as
so far testing and keywording goes and I do most of my work on a CS20
(dual ev68AL so fairly close to your DS25 regarding specs). I haven't
seen any gcc related problems personally.

So I expect your problems either stems from your CFLAGS or perhaps from
glibc that. Which version of glibc are you using and what USE flags are
enabled?

Regards,
Bryan Østergaard
--
[hidden email] mailing list

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: gcc 4.1.1-r3? [last update]

Davide Cittaro-2

On May 14, 2007, at 5:09 PM, Bryan Østergaard wrote:
First, adding -Wa,-mev6 to CFLAGS and CXXFLAGS is definitely not needed
and I would expect it break a few things personally.


In fact I've seen that the final attempt of emerging the flag is kept apart and gcc compiles.


So I expect your problems either stems from your CFLAGS or perhaps from
glibc that. Which version of glibc are you using and what USE flags are
enabled?

mmm, glibc 2.3.5. About USE flags:

USE="-X -alsa threads mysql ldap"

Since you are here, do you have a .config file for gentoo-sources-2.6.19-r5 that allows a stable kernel for a DS25? I can't boot at all. Actually I'm still on 2.4.30 since I never was able to compile a working kernel on this machine (whereas an ES40 I have here runs on 2.6.xx).

cheers

d
/*
Davide Cittaro
HPC and Bioinformatics Systems @ Informatics Core

IFOM - Istituto FIRC di Oncologia Molecolare
via adamello, 16
20139 Milano
Italy

tel.: +39(02)574303007
*/