getting login prompt when generating an install-minimalcd

getting login prompt when generating an install-minimalcd

John Covici
Hi.  I am trying to generate an installcd-minimal using a recent
stage3 and portage snapshot.  I am doing this primarily because I want
zfs support and using a different version of speakup along with a few
other packages.

Now what  happens is that instead of getting a root prompt, as I did
last year when I did this, I now get a login prompt and no password I
use works.  I even typed password=foo in the boot command line and
still no joy.  What am I doing wrong here, or what has changed that I
have to do differently.  I am using the releng repository with some
modifications.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

--
Your life is like a penny.  You're going to lose it.  The question is:
How do

         John Covici
         [hidden email]