getting started with gentoo + opensolaris

getting started with gentoo + opensolaris

telecomtom
greetings gentoosparc users,
I've got a sunblade 100 with 80GB HD left over from a move last year.
I'd like to get it up and running, with dual boot of gentoosparc and
opensolaris, and to use some of the files like email in
slices/partitions that will be accessed by both operating systems. Has
anyone done this? successfully? are there any gotchas to watch out for?

I remember something about slice 3 being for the "whole system". Is that
still necessary with new operating systems like gentoo and opensolaris,
or is it an issue with sun hardware?

-- TIA, TT

Re: getting started with gentoo + opensolaris

Ferris McCormick
On Fri, 2006-03-10 at 07:31 -0700, [hidden email] wrote:
> greetings gentoosparc users,
> I've got a sunblade 100 with 80GB HD left over from a move last year.
> I'd like to get it up and running, with dual boot of gentoosparc and
> opensolaris, and to use some of the files like email in
> slices/partitions that will be accessed by both operating systems. Has
> anyone done this? successfully? are there any gotchas to watch out for?

It might be possible with care.  I doubt if solaris will be able to
handle Linux file systems.  In Linux, you need to configure the kernel
with
CONFIG_UFS_FS=y
but I seem to recall that if you do this and mount such a file system,
if you don't use it read-only, your results will be unpleasant.  Others
will have more current information.

> I remember something about slice 3 being for the "whole system". Is that
> still necessary with new operating systems like gentoo and opensolaris,
> or is it an issue with sun hardware?

Sun hardware.  Slice 3 (/dev/[sh]da3) must be the entire disk, for
example:
   Device Flag    Start       End    Blocks   Id  System
/dev/sdb1             0        22     31779   83  Linux native
/dev/sdb2  u         22       698    976482   82  Linux swap
/dev/sdb3  u          0     24620  35563590    5  Whole disk
/dev/sdb4           698     24620  34555329   83  Linux native

(second disk on one of my systems.)

Regards,
Ferris
--
Ferris McCormick (P44646, MI) <[hidden email]>
Developer, Gentoo Linux (Sparc, Devrel)

Re: getting started with gentoo + opensolaris

Jeff Cole
On Fri, Mar 10, 2006 at 02:52:46PM +0000, Ferris McCormick wrote:
> Sun hardware.  Slice 3 (/dev/[sh]da3) must be the entire disk

Just a quick note, Solaris numbers slices starting with 0, so, under
Solaris, slice 2 is the whole disk. Just something to keep in mind if
you're in Solaris looking at disk slices.

Jeff

--
It's not working because:  Backbone adjustment

Re: getting started with gentoo + opensolaris

Mike Owen

> greetings gentoosparc users,
> I've got a sunblade 100 with 80GB HD left over from a move last year.
> I'd like to get it up and running, with dual boot of gentoosparc and
> opensolaris, and to use some of the files like email in
> slices/partitions that will be accessed by both operating systems. Has
> anyone done this? successfully? are there any gotchas to watch out for?
>
> I remember something about slice 3 being for the "whole system". Is that
> still necessary with new operating systems like gentoo and opensolaris,
> or is it an issue with sun hardware?
>
> -- TIA, TT

It's certainly possible, but it won't be the easiest thing. To make
life a little saner, I recommend using 1 big root partition, because
it's a lot harder to forget which partition is which that way :)

Do something like:

/dev/hda1 - solaris /
/dev/hda2 - common swap
/dev/hda3 - whole disk
/dev/hda4 - linux /

Partition and install with Solaris, and make sure it runs. Install
Gentoo on hda4, and setup SILO to load linux off of hda4 and Solaris
off of hda1. The example silo.conf has details on how to boot a
Solaris partition.

It's possible to compile ufs support into the kernel, and with 2.6.15
I had no read/write problems. However, I was unable to ever get the
Debian ufs.fsck to build properly, so if the ufs partition needs a
fsck done, you won't be able to mount it rw.

HTH,
Mike

RE: getting started with gentoo + opensolaris

telecomtom
Mike etal.
i appreciate the suggestions and the reminder that the slice numbering
starts with 0, making the "whole disk" hda2. i plan to do some
experimentation when my schedule loosens up. i'm really curious to see
if sol10 can run some of the linux-compiled software. i can't imagine
it'll do it with no problems, but who knows ...

-- thanks, TT