glibc-2.27 segfaults

Stefan G. Weichinger-3

I see

[27905442.641298] amcheck-device[8581]: segfault at 8 ip
00007f36788986e6 sp 00007ffc67faf2f8 error 4 in
libc-2.27.so[7f36787fa000+1be000]
[27905718.857330] amcheck-device[8733]: segfault at 8 ip
00007f143d7ae6e6 sp 00007ffeb709f728 error 4 in
libc-2.27.so[7f143d710000+1be000]

when I run amcheck of the AMANDA backup suite.

I posted there already but found complaints around this glibc-release
with debian etc as well ... so I wonder if more people might be affected.

I rebuilt the toolchain already, system is on profile 17 ... I also
rebuilt glibc, amanda ...

hints welcome

Re: glibc-2.27 segfaults

J. Roeleveld
On December 18, 2018 1:48:42 PM UTC, "Stefan G. Weichinger" <[hidden email]> wrote:

I see

[27905442.641298] amcheck-device[8581]: segfault at 8 ip
00007f36788986e6 sp 00007ffc67faf2f8 error 4 in
libc-2.27.so[7f36787fa000+1be000]
[27905718.857330] amcheck-device[8733]: segfault at 8 ip
00007f143d7ae6e6 sp 00007ffeb709f728 error 4 in
libc-2.27.so[7f143d710000+1be000]

when I run amcheck of the AMANDA backup suite.

I posted there already but found complaints around this glibc-release
with debian etc as well ... so I wonder if more people might be affected.

I rebuilt the toolchain already, system is on profile 17 ... I also
rebuilt glibc, amanda ...

hints welcome

I had similar issues with multiple packages.
Solved by updating the kernel, are you using latest stable gentoo sources?

--
Joost

Re: glibc-2.27 segfaults

Stefan G. Weichinger-3
Am 18.12.18 um 15:37 schrieb J. Roeleveld:

> I had similar issues with multiple packages.
> Solved by updating the kernel, are you using latest stable gentoo sources?

far from ...
4.14.12-gentoo ... uptime 323 days

I will have to check that IRMC-like KVM-box with outdated Java before I
dare a reboot. The box is a few hundred kms away from me.

Re: glibc-2.27 segfaults

J. Roeleveld
On December 18, 2018 8:09:47 PM UTC, "Stefan G. Weichinger" <[hidden email]> wrote:
Am 18.12.18 um 15:37 schrieb J. Roeleveld:

I had similar issues with multiple packages.
Solved by updating the kernel, are you using latest stable gentoo sources?

far from ...
4.14.12-gentoo ... uptime 323 days

I will have to check that IRMC-like KVM-box with outdated Java before I
dare a reboot. The box is a few hundred kms away from me.

The 4.14.x range has a few dodgy ones causing issues along the way. The ones currently marked stable allow me to do a full rebuild. Some of the older ones in there caused all kinds of weird issues like segfaults during compile. Corrupt libraries.
Ended up with 4.14.65 and doing a full rebuild (emerge --empty @world) before trusting it again.

--
Joost

Re: glibc-2.27 segfaults

Stefan G. Weichinger-3
Am 19.12.18 um 19:25 schrieb J. Roeleveld:

> The 4.14.x range has a few dodgy ones causing issues along the way. The
> ones currently marked stable allow me to do a full rebuild. Some of the
> older ones in there caused all kinds of weird issues like segfaults
> during compile. Corrupt libraries.
> Ended up with 4.14.65 and doing a full rebuild (emerge --empty @world)
> before trusting it again.

I wonder what happened *now* ... no updates or rebuilds in the last days.

Will attempt kernel update but have to get access first ...

thx, s

Re: glibc-2.27 segfaults

Stefan G. Weichinger-3
Am 19.12.18 um 23:11 schrieb Stefan G. Weichinger:

> Am 19.12.18 um 19:25 schrieb J. Roeleveld:
>
>> The 4.14.x range has a few dodgy ones causing issues along the way. The
>> ones currently marked stable allow me to do a full rebuild. Some of the
>> older ones in there caused all kinds of weird issues like segfaults
>> during compile. Corrupt libraries.
>> Ended up with 4.14.65 and doing a full rebuild (emerge --empty @world)
>> before trusting it again.
>
> I wonder what happened *now* ... no updates or rebuilds in the last days.
>
> Will attempt kernel update but have to get access first ...

We now have a non-booting gentoo (going into systemd emergency mode) ...
something around LVM fails and so it stops booting. I remember this
issue from a year ago ... but can't access the server because of an
outdated KVM-over-IP. Wonderful xmas present ;-)

hints for cheap KVM-over-IP-boxes welcome (for one server, with VGA still)

Have a nice weekend and holidays, folks

Re: glibc-2.27 segfaults

Stefan G. Weichinger-3
Am 21.12.18 um 08:53 schrieb Stefan G. Weichinger:

> We now have a non-booting gentoo (going into systemd emergency mode) ...
> something around LVM fails and so it stops booting.
Is it possible that related to the rebuilds related to the
profile-changes somehow LVM got "incompatible" to the old kernel?

And only at reboot this hits me?

systemd fails at "waiting for LV xy" .. I have the former SUSE Linux
booted up already and think of editing the gentoo fstab to skip the 3 LV
mounts ... just to get it booted

Re: glibc-2.27 segfaults

J. Roeleveld
On December 21, 2018 8:42:17 AM UTC, "Stefan G. Weichinger" <[hidden email]> wrote:
Am 21.12.18 um 08:53 schrieb Stefan G. Weichinger:

We now have a non-booting gentoo (going into systemd emergency mode) ...
something around LVM fails and so it stops booting.
Is it possible that related to the rebuilds related to the
profile-changes somehow LVM got "incompatible" to the old kernel?

And only at reboot this hits me?

systemd fails at "waiting for LV xy" .. I have the former SUSE Linux
booted up already and think of editing the gentoo fstab to skip the 3 LV
mounts ... just to get it booted

That could easily be the case.

And if you find a decent KVM over IP option with VGA amd USB support, I would be interested as well. Got one remote system without a built-in KVM myself.

--
Joost

Re: glibc-2.27 segfaults

Stefan G. Weichinger-3
Am 21.12.18 um 09:54 schrieb J. Roeleveld:
>     systemd fails at "waiting for LV xy" .. I have the former SUSE Linux
>     booted up already and think of editing the gentoo fstab to skip the 3 LV
>     mounts ... just to get it booted
>
> That could easily be the case.

Disabled the 3 lines and/or added "noauto" just to get on with it.

> And if you find a decent KVM over IP option with VGA amd USB support, I
> would be interested as well. Got one remote system without a built-in
> KVM myself.

rebooted now with a new 4.14.83

Still that amanda-error ... could be their bug as well.

That KVM ... I will research something and let you know.

The current one is a "Guardian KVM 101" or so ... outdated firmware,
buggy Java, I get errors with old IE etc

Re: glibc-2.27 segfaults

Stefan G. Weichinger-3

https://bugs.gentoo.org/674864