gnome 3.6 ... and related thoughts

Stefan G. Weichinger-3

greets ...

today (at least in my timezone ;-) ) I saw gnome-3.6-related ebuilds
coming up on my ~amd64 box ...

I ran a backup (yes, experience ...) and emerged stuff ... so far it
runs OK.

There are changes and new features and I am still exploring stuff.

The general question: is it a bug or a feature? ;-)

for example Alt-leftclick doesn't allow me to move windows right now.

bug?

-

What I'd like to discuss:

how to start over for a given user? For example, I want to get rid of
old stuff from gnome-1.x/2.x or so (I think of my ~-directory, not the
overall system). Or even bigger, does it make sense to drop stuff from
all those dot-directories in ~ from time to time (e.g. at bigger
GUI-upgrades) and only keep some important ones?

For example I would keep core stuff like .gnupg .ssh .bashrc
.thunderbird (in my case) ... but I am sure there is loads of stuff to
get rid of.

Maybe most of it doesn't make a difference (hdd-space is cheap anyways)
and isn't even read anymore by recent versions of software. But maybe
some files/dirs should get dumped and forgotten.

Do you gentoo-users have any opinions on this?

Does it make any sense to re-create my main user(-dir)?

Stefan

Re: gnome 3.6 ... and related thoughts

Canek Peláez Valdés
On Thu, Dec 27, 2012 at 3:46 PM, Stefan G. Weichinger <[hidden email]> wrote:

> greets ...
>
> today (at least in my timezone ;-) ) I saw gnome-3.6-related ebuilds
> coming up on my ~amd64 box ...
>
> I ran a backup (yes, experience ...) and emerged stuff ... so far it
> runs OK.
>
> There are changes and new features and I am still exploring stuff.
>
> The general question: is it a bug or a feature? ;-)
>
> for example Alt-leftclick doesn't allow me to move windows right now.
>
> bug?

No, it works that way. You could changed in previous versions with the
/apps/metacity/general/mouse_button_modifier key in gconftool-2, but
now it's gone. I don't know if anyone is working on bring it back.

> What I'd like to discuss:
>
> how to start over for a given user? For example, I want to get rid of
> old stuff from gnome-1.x/2.x or so (I think of my ~-directory, not the
> overall system). Or even bigger, does it make sense to drop stuff from
> all those dot-directories in ~ from time to time (e.g. at bigger
> GUI-upgrades) and only keep some important ones?
>
> For example I would keep core stuff like .gnupg .ssh .bashrc
> .thunderbird (in my case) ... but I am sure there is loads of stuff to
> get rid of.
>
> Maybe most of it doesn't make a difference (hdd-space is cheap anyways)
> and isn't even read anymore by recent versions of software. But maybe
> some files/dirs should get dumped and forgotten.
>
> Do you gentoo-users have any opinions on this?
>
> Does it make any sense to re-create my main user(-dir)?

I started over with a clean $HOME, and I moved back the non-GNOME
stuff (.ssh, .gnupg, .bash*, etc). But maybe it was overkill.

Regards.
--
Canek Peláez Valdés
Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México

Am 28.12.2012 00:45, schrieb Canek Peláez Valdés:

> No, it works that way. You could changed in previous versions with
> the /apps/metacity/general/mouse_button_modifier key in gconftool-2,
> but now it's gone. I don't know if anyone is working on bring it
> back.

I *liked* the "old way" ... is there any explanation why removing this
improves things? How is it supposed to work now?

Sorry, I could browse docs, sure ...

> I started over with a clean $HOME, and I moved back the non-GNOME
> stuff (.ssh, .gnupg, .bash*, etc). But maybe it was overkill.

Thanks for sharing. I will maybe try that tomorrow (late here).

usermod -l ... ? ;-)

Re: gnome 3.6 ... and related thoughts

Randolph Maaßen

2012/12/28 Stefan G. Weichinger <[hidden email]>
Am 28.12.2012 00:45, schrieb Canek Peláez Valdés:

> No, it works that way. You could changed in previous versions with
> the /apps/metacity/general/mouse_button_modifier key in gconftool-2,
> but now it's gone. I don't know if anyone is working on bring it
> back.

I *liked* the "old way" ... is there any explanation why removing this
improves things? How is it supposed to work now?

Sorry, I could browse docs, sure ...

I can't tell you how the window move works now. The "old way" of configuring was removed and won't be included in the new 3.X branch anymore, Somehow the GNOME people don't like that the user can configure his/her GNOME experience. They want that every GNOME 3 looks and feels the same.

I think we had this before in the list

> I started over with a clean $HOME, and I moved back the non-GNOME
> stuff (.ssh, .gnupg, .bash*, etc). But maybe it was overkill.

Thanks for sharing. I will maybe try that tomorrow (late here).

usermod -l ... ? ;-)

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Best regards

Randolph Maaßen

Re: gnome 3.6 ... and related thoughts

Keith Dart ♂
Re
50DCE1AD.9060400@xunil.at50DCE1AD.9060400@[hidden email].[hidden email],
Randolph Maaßen said:
> Maybe interesting to read:
> http://igurublog.wordpress.com/2012/11/05/gnome-et-al-rotting-in-threes/
> I think we had this before in the list

Thank goodness for XFCE. I ditched Gnome at 3.0. Well, I was using XFCE
even before that but still had gnome installed for other users of my
system. Now, everyone uses XFCE. That's my own BOFH attitude right
now. :)

-- Keith

--

-- ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
   Keith Dart <[hidden email]>

Re: gnome 3.6 ... and related thoughts

Marc Stuermer
Am 28.12.2012 01:02, schrieb Stefan G. Weichinger:

> I *liked* the "old way" ... is there any explanation why removing this
> improves things? How is it supposed to work now?

That's the sane question to ask, unfortunately you won't get a real
answer from the GNOME developers themselves. They are still happy for
mistreating the desktop as a tablet and to continue alienating their
loyal user base with that shitty piece of crap they call GNOME 3.X,
praising themselves still that every remove of a beloved feature is a
mile stone in terms of usability and not facing the reality.

Also knowing better than the user himself what bells and whistles he
needs to configure his computer and not has also a long tradition in GNOME.

It is really no wonder, that quite some major distributions ditched
GNOME 3.X vanilla either for their own homegrown stuff or MATE/Cinnamon.
So it is really no wonder either, that GNOME 3.X ruined it for a large
part of their former user base and they switched to other desktop
environments.

Am 28.12.2012 01:23, schrieb Randolph Maaßen:

> Maybe interesting to read:
> http://igurublog.wordpress.com/2012/11/05/gnome-et-al-rotting-in-threes/
> I think we had this before in the list

Thanks for that pointer ... interesting read.

Stefan

Re: gnome 3.6 ... and related thoughts

walter s
On 12/27/2012 01:46 PM, Stefan G. Weichinger wrote:

> greets ...
>
> today (at least in my timezone ;-) ) I saw gnome-3.6-related ebuilds
> coming up on my ~amd64 box ...
>
> I ran a backup (yes, experience ...) and emerged stuff ... so far it
> runs OK.
>
> There are changes and new features and I am still exploring stuff.
>
> The general question: is it a bug or a feature? ;-)

Heh.  Good question :)  I'm still asking the same question about gnome3
in general, and the more I see the more I don't like what I see.

I get the feeling that there is a tsunami of younger devs who are making
changes driven by testosterone more than anything else, and us old farts
are watching their adolescent hijinks with dismay based on sad experience.

But, hey, our fathers watched us with the same dismay, and look how well
we all turned out!

Re: gnome 3.6 ... and related thoughts

Stefan G. Weichinger-3
Am 28.12.2012 00:45, schrieb Canek Peláez Valdés:

> No, it works that way. You could changed in previous versions with the
> /apps/metacity/general/mouse_button_modifier key in gconftool-2, but
> now it's gone. I don't know if anyone is working on bring it back.

found this:

https://twitter.com/schmichael/status/262982638653022208

On Tue, Jan 1, 2013 at 1:55 PM, Stefan G. Weichinger <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Am 28.12.2012 00:45, schrieb Canek Peláez Valdés:
>
>> No, it works that way. You could changed in previous versions with the
>> /apps/metacity/general/mouse_button_modifier key in gconftool-2, but
>> now it's gone. I don't know if anyone is working on bring it back.
>
> found this:
>
> https://twitter.com/schmichael/status/262982638653022208

Thanks for sharing it; I had no idea that was available.

Regards.
--
Canek Peláez Valdés
Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México

Re: gnome 3.6 ... and related thoughts

Michael Mol
On Tue, Jan 1, 2013 at 2:55 PM, Stefan G. Weichinger <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Am 28.12.2012 00:45, schrieb Canek Peláez Valdés:
>
>> No, it works that way. You could changed in previous versions with the
>> /apps/metacity/general/mouse_button_modifier key in gconftool-2, but
>> now it's gone. I don't know if anyone is working on bring it back.
>
> found this:
>
> https://twitter.com/schmichael/status/262982638653022208

For the sake of mailing list archives, that's:

"Aha! mouse-button-modifier changed from <Alt> to <Super> in Gnome 3.6
(at least on Ubuntu 12.10). That took forever to figure out." -
Michael Schurter <@schmichael>

--
:wq