gnome/gdm hangs after emerge

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

gnome/gdm hangs after emerge

Gmail
Hi, yesterday I've upgrade portage (about 30 upgrades) and now I can't
login gnome..."Oh no something was gone wrong".
After some changes and emerge (gdm, xorg and nvidia-drivers basically),
if I start one clear tty and restart gdm, I have half desktop like gnome
and half desktop like X

To understand this you can look a picture at
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3UY2_LU1HQOMIpmTGM4bTFzRDQ/view

To see my system with its errors look the last journalctl -rb at
https://bpaste.net/show/2f39d32de702 and emerge --info at
https://bpaste.net/show/93440bc84788

I'm being crazy to understand what's happen.

Kind Regards

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: gnome/gdm hangs after emerge

Duncan-42
Gmail posted on Sun, 02 Oct 2016 13:17:14 +0200 as excerpted:

> To understand this you can look a picture at
> https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3UY2_LU1HQOMIpmTGM4bTFzRDQ/view

Hi "Gmail" =:^)

That give me a 404 (not found) error.  I've not used google drive, but
maybe you didn't set the file to public so nobody else can see it?

(I do kde not gnome and haven't the foggiest on your problem, but I
thought I would mention the 404.)

--
Duncan - List replies preferred.   No HTML msgs.
"Every nonfree program has a lord, a master --
and if you use the program, he is your master."  Richard Stallman


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: gnome/gdm hangs after emerge

Gmail

2016-10-03 3:12 GMT+02:00 Duncan <[hidden email]>:
Gmail posted on Sun, 02 Oct 2016 13:17:14 +0200 as excerpted:

> To understand this you can look a picture at
> https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3UY2_LU1HQOMIpmTGM4bTFzRDQ/view

Hi "Gmail" =:^)

That give me a 404 (not found) error.  I've not used google drive, but
maybe you didn't set the file to public so nobody else can see it?

(I do kde not gnome and haven't the foggiest on your problem, but I
thought I would mention the 404.)

--
Duncan - List replies preferred.   No HTML msgs.
"Every nonfree program has a lord, a master --
and if you use the program, he is your master."  Richard Stallman



Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: gnome/gdm hangs after emerge

Duncan-42
mr_L4N posted on Mon, 03 Oct 2016 10:42:27 +0200 as excerpted:

> https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3UY2_LU1HQOMlpmTGM4bTFzRDQ/view?usp=sharing

> this works,

Thanks, yes.

Again with the disclaimer that I do kde not gnome and thus am unlikely to
have a clue on gnome-specific issues, so the below is pretty general
gentoo boilerplate, not really specific to your issue...

The immediately obvious question is that given the problem appeared right
after an update, did you do a revdep-rebuild and an emerge --depclean
after your update?

It's possible you need to rebuild something else against the newly
installed package, and portage didn't catch it and do the rebuild
automatically as the version deps for what you need to rebuild aren't yet
that strict.  Revdep-rebuild can catch and rebuild many such packages, tho
it's gradually becoming less and less necessary as version deps are
updated to include the previously missing deps information (only newer
EAPIs allow specifying it properly, and particularly people on stable will
likely still have a number of older packages that don't have the newer and
stricter deps specified).

Depclean simply tells portage to clean up any old packages that are no
longer required by anything in @world but that haven't been uninstalled
yet.  As long as you run it regularly, you should have everything you want
in @world and it won't clean up anything you obviously need, but if you
have an install you've been updating for awhile without running depclean,
be sure to do a --pretend or --ask first, and carefully check what it
wants to remove, in case there's something in there you actually do want
to keep.  If so, you can add that to @world, and depclean won't try to
remove it any longer.

Also, do you do --deep updates, or not?  Skipping --deep will mean less
normally unnecessary updates to dependencies, but will occasionally miss a
necessary one, if there's a mistake in the specified deps for a package.
Be aware that if you don't normally do --deep and try it, you'll likely
have quite a long list of updates.  You can either just let them happen,
or pick thru the list manually, updating anything that looks like it might
be related to your problem, while leaving the rest alone.

--
Duncan - List replies preferred.   No HTML msgs.
"Every nonfree program has a lord, a master --
and if you use the program, he is your master."  Richard Stallman


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: gnome/gdm hangs after emerge

Gmail
Hi Duncan,

thanks for your reply.

I've launche revdep-rebuild; it found 2 problems about libcamel and libedataserver. Portage is unable to automatic repair and §I'm working on it.

I think that these libraries, aren't blocking my DE. Are you agree?

2016-10-04 21:46 GMT+02:00 Duncan <[hidden email]>:
mr_L4N posted on Mon, 03 Oct 2016 10:42:27 +0200 as excerpted:

> https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3UY2_LU1HQOMlpmTGM4bTFzRDQ/view?usp=sharing

> this works,

Thanks, yes.

Again with the disclaimer that I do kde not gnome and thus am unlikely to
have a clue on gnome-specific issues, so the below is pretty general
gentoo boilerplate, not really specific to your issue...

The immediately obvious question is that given the problem appeared right
after an update, did you do a revdep-rebuild and an emerge --depclean
after your update?

It's possible you need to rebuild something else against the newly
installed package, and portage didn't catch it and do the rebuild
automatically as the version deps for what you need to rebuild aren't yet
that strict.  Revdep-rebuild can catch and rebuild many such packages, tho
it's gradually becoming less and less necessary as version deps are
updated to include the previously missing deps information (only newer
EAPIs allow specifying it properly, and particularly people on stable will
likely still have a number of older packages that don't have the newer and
stricter deps specified).

Depclean simply tells portage to clean up any old packages that are no
longer required by anything in @world but that haven't been uninstalled
yet.  As long as you run it regularly, you should have everything you want
in @world and it won't clean up anything you obviously need, but if you
have an install you've been updating for awhile without running depclean,
be sure to do a --pretend or --ask first, and carefully check what it
wants to remove, in case there's something in there you actually do want
to keep.  If so, you can add that to @world, and depclean won't try to
remove it any longer.

Also, do you do --deep updates, or not?  Skipping --deep will mean less
normally unnecessary updates to dependencies, but will occasionally miss a
necessary one, if there's a mistake in the specified deps for a package.
Be aware that if you don't normally do --deep and try it, you'll likely
have quite a long list of updates.  You can either just let them happen,
or pick thru the list manually, updating anything that looks like it might
be related to your problem, while leaving the rest alone.

--
Duncan - List replies preferred.   No HTML msgs.
"Every nonfree program has a lord, a master --
and if you use the program, he is your master."  Richard Stallman



Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: gnome/gdm hangs after emerge

Duncan-42
mr_L4N posted on Wed, 05 Oct 2016 13:46:15 +0200 as excerpted:

> I've launche revdep-rebuild; it found 2 problems about libcamel and
> libedataserver. Portage is unable to automatic repair and §I'm working
> on it.
>
> I think that these libraries, aren't blocking my DE. Are you agree?

Based on name only (they don't seem to be in the tree so I can't query
the descriptions) I don't see why they would, unless the DE's doing
something exotic with them, anyway.  

--
Duncan - List replies preferred.   No HTML msgs.
"Every nonfree program has a lord, a master --
and if you use the program, he is your master."  Richard Stallman


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: gnome/gdm hangs after emerge

Gmail
Thanks Duncan to suggest an obviuos solution that I'm not considering.

With a deep update and clean, now system works "almost" fine...damn systemd.

Now I'm ready to start a new mistake for a disk (NTFS partition) in
auto-mount with fuse, that I can see in shell, but not in gnome...after
an update.



Il 05/10/2016 14:33, Duncan ha scritto:

> mr_L4N posted on Wed, 05 Oct 2016 13:46:15 +0200 as excerpted:
>
>> I've launche revdep-rebuild; it found 2 problems about libcamel and
>> libedataserver. Portage is unable to automatic repair and §I'm working
>> on it.
>>
>> I think that these libraries, aren't blocking my DE. Are you agree?
>
> Based on name only (they don't seem to be in the tree so I can't query
> the descriptions) I don't see why they would, unless the DE's doing
> something exotic with them, anyway.  
>


--
<html>

<head>
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=windows-1252">
<title>Web&Hardware di Emilio Alessandro Zampieri</title>
</head>
<body>

<p>
<a href="http://www.webandhardware.it"><img border="0"
src="http://www.webandhardware.it/wp-includes/images/web&hardware_firma.png"
width="200" height="150"></a></p>
<font face="Tahoma" size="2"><b>Web&Hardware di Emilio A. Zampieri</b><br>
via Adda, 17<br>
20095 Cusano Milanino (MI)<br>
Tel 02.36.58.71.12 - Fax 02.99.98.19.88<br>
Cell. 347.068.63.86<br>
<a href="http://www.webandhardware.it">http://www.webandhardware.it</a><br>
@mail [hidden email]<br>
Supporto Clienti: <a
href="http://support.webandhardware.it">http://support.webandhardware.it</a><br>
P.IVA 07324560965<br>
</font></p>
<p><font color="#C2C2C2"><font face="Tahoma" size="1">Tale messaggio è
confidenziale: qualora l'avesse ricevuto per errore, La preghiamo di
comunicarne la ricezione inviando una e-mail al mittente e di
distruggerne il contenuto.<br>La informiamo inoltre che l'utilizzo non
autorizzato del messaggio o dei suoi allegati potrebbe costituire reato
La ringraziamo per la collaborazione.<br>
<br>This message is confidential: if you have received it by mistake,
please advise immediately the sender by e-mail and destroy the message
and its attachments.<br>You are hereby notified that any unauthorized
use of the content of this message could constitute a criminal offence.
Thank you.</font><font size="1">
</font>
</font>
</p>

</body>

</html>