grsec: denied RWX mprotect AND execution attempt ksplashqml plasmashell kwin_x11 kscreenlocker_greet

grsec: denied RWX mprotect AND execution attempt ksplashqml plasmashell kwin_x11 kscreenlocker_greet

Matthew Summers-2
Hello,

I am experiencing task terminated & segfaults with KDE Plasma 5.8.6 following the recent stable upgrade from 5.8.5.

I am curious is anyone on this list is using Plasma 5.8.6 with hardened-sources successfully.

Previously, Plasma functioned very well. I've used it every day for quite awhile. Now, I must disable PAX mprotect to use this desktop environment for the following binaries:
/usr/bin/plasmashell
/usr/bin/ksmserver
/usr/bin/ksplashqml
/usr/lib64/libexec/kscreenlocker_greet
/usr/lib64/libexec/ksmserver-logout-greeter

Even after that, kscreenlock_greet segfaults when I lock my session. So this is basically unusable for daily work.

The system is running sys-kernel/hardened-sources-4.8.17-r2 on the hardened amd64 no-multilib profile. I cobbled together sufficient USE from the plasma profile to produce what was a very nice, minimal desktop environment (-jit of course). I use a stable toolchain.

Other desktop environments work just fine, at least Awesome and Openbox. Various KDE apps work fine too, like Konsole, Dolphin, and Gwenview.

Anyone have any pointers as to what USE or new options might be causing this? Should I simply upgrade to plasma 5.9.4?

Thanks a ton!
Matt

--
M. Summers
aka quantumsummers

"...there are no rules here -- we're trying to accomplish something."
  - Thomas A. Edison