grub2 upgrade not working

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

grub2 upgrade not working

Valmor de Almeida
Hello,
I have been searching the web for help on this but no luck.
I have just upgraded from grub legacy to grub2. Followed the gentoo docs and grub2 will not boot. It hangs in the beginning with the messages:

Loading Linux 3.10.17-gentoo ...
Loading initial ramdisk ...

Here is the section I try to run on my grub.conf

root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/sda3 dolvm
initrd /boot/initramfs-genkernel-x86_64-3.10.17-gentoo

I used genkernel to create the initramfs using the options: --lvm --disklabel --firmware --no-ramdisk-modules. The system booted using the old grub legacy.

I would be also interested in information on how to completely wipe out grub2 from my system and go back to grub legacy.

Thank you for your help.

--
Valmor


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: grub2 upgrade not working

William Kenworthy
On 24/11/13 10:06, Valmor de Almeida wrote:

> Hello,
> I have been searching the web for help on this but no luck.
> I have just upgraded from grub legacy to grub2. Followed the gentoo docs
> and grub2 will not boot. It hangs in the beginning with the messages:
>
> Loading Linux 3.10.17-gentoo ...
> Loading initial ramdisk ...
>
> Here is the section I try to run on my grub.conf
>
> root (hd0,0)
> kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/sda3 dolvm
> initrd /boot/initramfs-genkernel-x86_64-3.10.17-gentoo
>
> I used genkernel to create the initramfs using the options: --lvm
> --disklabel --firmware --no-ramdisk-modules. The system booted using the
> old grub legacy.
>
> I would be also interested in information on how to completely wipe out
> grub2 from my system and go back to grub legacy.
>
> Thank you for your help.
>
> --
> Valmor
>

sadly most of my systems didnt work first time either though I am slowly
working through the issues.

Did you add the dolvm stuff to /etc/default/grub?

Mine is (one liner):
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX='memmap=1M\$157M dolvm i915.modeset=1
enable_mtrr_cleanup=1 zcache resume=/dev/sdb1'

Did you get any errors with either of:

grub2-install /dev/sda
grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

I would also really wish that there was a simple grub and complex grub2
for the masochists rather than just torturing everyone :)

BillK



Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: grub2 upgrade not working

Valmor de Almeida
On Sat, Nov 23, 2013 at 11:05 PM, William Kenworthy <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 24/11/13 10:06, Valmor de Almeida wrote:
> Hello,
> I have been searching the web for help on this but no luck.
> I have just upgraded from grub legacy to grub2. Followed the gentoo docs
> and grub2 will not boot. It hangs in the beginning with the messages:
>
> Loading Linux 3.10.17-gentoo ...
> Loading initial ramdisk ...
>
> Here is the section I try to run on my grub.conf
>
> root (hd0,0)
> kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/sda3 dolvm
> initrd /boot/initramfs-genkernel-x86_64-3.10.17-gentoo
>
> I used genkernel to create the initramfs using the options: --lvm
> --disklabel --firmware --no-ramdisk-modules. The system booted using the
> old grub legacy.
>
> I would be also interested in information on how to completely wipe out
> grub2 from my system and go back to grub legacy.
>
> Thank you for your help.
>
> --
> Valmor
>

sadly most of my systems didnt work first time either though I am slowly
working through the issues.

Did you add the dolvm stuff to /etc/default/grub?

No I have not touched any of the grub files. On my kernel boot line above I do use  dolvm. Will check on that though.
 

Mine is (one liner):
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX='memmap=1M\$157M dolvm i915.modeset=1
enable_mtrr_cleanup=1 zcache resume=/dev/sdb1'

Thanks.
--
Valmor
 

Did you get any errors with either of:

grub2-install /dev/sda
grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

Nope. No errors. All clean.
 

I would also really wish that there was a simple grub and complex grub2
for the masochists rather than just torturing everyone :)

BillK




Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: grub2 upgrade not working

Pavel Volkov
On Sunday 24 November 2013 02:19:05 Valmor de Almeida wrote:
> No I have not touched any of the grub files. On my kernel boot line above I
> do use  dolvm. Will check on that though.

Of course it won't boot then.
GRUB 2 does not use grub.conf anymore.
It reads /boot/grub/grub.cfg. This file is formed automatically by grub2-
mkconfig command, you have to edit the parameters in /etc/default/grub.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: grub2 upgrade not working

Valmor de Almeida
On Sun, Nov 24, 2013 at 2:28 AM, Pavel Volkov <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Sunday 24 November 2013 02:19:05 Valmor de Almeida wrote:
> No I have not touched any of the grub files. On my kernel boot line above I
> do use  dolvm. Will check on that though.

Of course it won't boot then.
GRUB 2 does not use grub.conf anymore.
It reads /boot/grub/grub.cfg. This file is formed automatically by grub2-
mkconfig command, you have to edit the parameters in /etc/default/grub.

Did edit the new /etc/default/grub:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="dolvm"

Still no booting. Hangs on loading the initial ramdisk ...
I can boot using systemrescuecd. Unfortunately I finalized the install of grub2 and no longer have grub legacy installed. I regret that. Also, before I finalized the grub2 install I tested the initramfs with grub legacy and it worked. There were two new issues I addressed in this recent portage sync. One was the use of a initramfs because my / and /usr are not in the same filesystem. /usr is actually under lvm control. I created a initramfs with genkernel (--lvm option) and as I stated earlier it worked with grub legacy. So the problem is grub2 configuration at this point.

Thanks for any help including info on how to go back to grub legacy if necessary.

Best,

--
Valmor
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: grub2 upgrade not working

Valmor de Almeida
On Sun, Nov 24, 2013 at 3:32 PM, Valmor de Almeida <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Sun, Nov 24, 2013 at 2:28 AM, Pavel Volkov <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Sunday 24 November 2013 02:19:05 Valmor de Almeida wrote:
> No I have not touched any of the grub files. On my kernel boot line above I
> do use  dolvm. Will check on that though.

Of course it won't boot then.
GRUB 2 does not use grub.conf anymore.
It reads /boot/grub/grub.cfg. This file is formed automatically by grub2-
mkconfig command, you have to edit the parameters in /etc/default/grub.

Did edit the new /etc/default/grub:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="dolvm"

Still no booting. Hangs on loading the initial ramdisk ...
I can boot using systemrescuecd. Unfortunately I finalized the install of grub2 and no longer have grub legacy installed. I regret that. Also, before I finalized the grub2 install I tested the initramfs with grub legacy and it worked. There were two new issues I addressed in this recent portage sync. One was the use of a initramfs because my / and /usr are not in the same filesystem. /usr is actually under lvm control. I created a initramfs with genkernel (--lvm option) and as I stated earlier it worked with grub legacy. So the problem is grub2 configuration at this point.

Thanks for any help including info on how to go back to grub legacy if necessary.

Best,

--
Valmor


Does anyone know whether there is a place I can look for error messages? still no luck on booting with grub2.

Thanks,

--
Valmor

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: grub2 upgrade not working

Pavel Volkov
In reply to this post by Valmor de Almeida
On Sunday 24 November 2013 15:32:45 Valmor de Almeida wrote:

> > Did edit the new /etc/default/grub:
> GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="dolvm"
>
> Still no booting. Hangs on loading the initial ramdisk ...
> I can boot using systemrescuecd. Unfortunately I finalized the install of
> grub2 and no longer have grub legacy installed. I regret that. Also, before
> I finalized the grub2 install I tested the initramfs with grub legacy and
> it worked. There were two new issues I addressed in this recent portage
> sync. One was the use of a initramfs because my / and /usr are not in the
> same filesystem. /usr is actually under lvm control. I created a initramfs
> with genkernel (--lvm option) and as I stated earlier it worked with grub
> legacy. So the problem is grub2 configuration at this point.
>
> Thanks for any help including info on how to go back to grub legacy if
> necessary.

Did you generate the config with
"grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg" after that?
Attach grub.cfg here and your /boot directory listing.
Also the boot messages.

If you want to get GRUB 0.97 back, it should be simple:
1. Boot into systemrescuecd
2. Chroot into you Gentoo (see the handbook)
3. "emerge -C grub"
4. "emerge grub:0"
5. Run grub-install