has anyone tried KDE5?

behrouz khosravi
Hello everyone.
I was wondering if anyone has tried KDE5?
Do you know when it's going to be placed in the main tree?

thanks

Re: has anyone tried KDE5?

Michael Palimaka
On 10/04/2014 11:26 PM, behrouz khosravi wrote:
> Hello everyone.
> I was wondering if anyone has tried KDE5?
> Do you know when it's going to be placed in the main tree?
>
> thanks

Hi,

The KDE release structure has evolved[1], decoupling the release cycle
of the Platform, Workspace, and Applications. This means that there is
no longer a single Software Compilation in the same way there was with
KDE 4.

We (Gentoo KDE team) have not yet made a decision as to when the Plasma
5 Workspace will be pushed to the main tree. I've been using it on a
daily basis for about six months, and consider the next release (5.1.0)
to be a good candidate for the main tree.

The underlying Platform (KDE Frameworks 5) upon which Plasma 5 is built
is expected in the main tree in about a week, after the 5.3.0 release.

Best regards,
Michael

[1]: https://dot.kde.org/2013/09/04/kde-release-structure-evolves

Re: has anyone tried KDE5?

Paige Thompson-2

On 10/04/14 16:26, behrouz khosravi wrote:
> Hello everyone.
> I was wondering if anyone has tried KDE5?
> Do you know when it's going to be placed in the main tree?
>
> thanks
I'm using the layman repo (plasma 5 live) once you get it setup and
working its pretty awesome.

http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/KDE/Overlay

You can probably also get some questions answered in #gentoo-kde on
freenode.

Re: has anyone tried KDE5?

Paige Thompson-2

On 10/04/14 16:26, behrouz khosravi wrote:
> Hello everyone.
> I was wondering if anyone has tried KDE5?
> Do you know when it's going to be placed in the main tree?
>
> thanks
before you even mess around with that though I suggest taking kde and/or
setting -kde in your make.conf use flags. start using package.use and
linking things to kde on a case by case basis.

Re: has anyone tried KDE5?

tanstaafl-2
On 10/4/2014 1:37 PM, Michael Palimaka <[hidden email]> wrote:
> The KDE release structure has evolved[1], decoupling the release cycle
> of the Platform, Workspace, and Applications. This means that there is
> no longer a single Software Compilation in the same way there was with
> KDE 4.

Interesting.

Has this been discussed in detail before? What is the consensus about
this in the gentoo dev world? Meaning - is it a good or bad thing? I've
been  thinking about giving KDE a try again, but still read enough
negative things about it to give me pause (my time is very limited so I
have to pick/choose what I want to spend it on)...

Re: has anyone tried KDE5?

Michael Palimaka
On 10/06/2014 12:17 AM, Tanstaafl wrote:

> On 10/4/2014 1:37 PM, Michael Palimaka <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> The KDE release structure has evolved[1], decoupling the release cycle
>> of the Platform, Workspace, and Applications. This means that there is
>> no longer a single Software Compilation in the same way there was with
>> KDE 4.
>
> Interesting.
>
> Has this been discussed in detail before? What is the consensus about
> this in the gentoo dev world? Meaning - is it a good or bad thing? I've
> been  thinking about giving KDE a try again, but still read enough
> negative things about it to give me pause (my time is very limited so I
> have to pick/choose what I want to spend it on)...

There's a fair bit of info about it floating around upstream. The
Frameworks split has involved a great deal of cleanup, with a focus on
continuous integration and pushing functionality to Qt where
appropriate. The move from a single monolithic kdelibs to about 60 small
frameworks will also drive adoption of the platform as it substantially
reduces dependency bloat.

As for Gentoo, we're just following upstream. :-) There's many more
ebuilds than before, but packaging is a lot simpler.

Given that it's early days both up and downstream, I wouldn't yet
recommend Plasma 5 on Gentoo for someone that's not at least a little
bit adventurous. I'd be interested to know what KDE negatives you've
experienced/heard in the past though.

Re: has anyone tried KDE5?

tanstaafl-2
On 10/5/2014 11:01 AM, Michael Palimaka <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I'd be interested to know what KDE negatives you've
> experienced/heard in the past though.

Bloat, buggy/unstable ever since the move from KDE3 to KDE4 (and never
really gotten any better over time), etc...

But of course there are always haters too... I'm sure it isn't as bad as
the loudest complainers make it sound...

Re: has anyone tried KDE5?

Michael Palimaka
On 10/06/2014 02:35 AM, Tanstaafl wrote:

> On 10/5/2014 11:01 AM, Michael Palimaka <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I'd be interested to know what KDE negatives you've
>> experienced/heard in the past though.
>
> Bloat, buggy/unstable ever since the move from KDE3 to KDE4 (and never
> really gotten any better over time), etc...
>
> But of course there are always haters too... I'm sure it isn't as bad as
> the loudest complainers make it sound...

There were definitely issues in KDE 4 early days but there have been
substantial improvements since then.  Regarding bloat/performance, this
biggest complaints seem to be about nepomuk/baloo. We provide the
semantic-desktop USE flag to provide the option of disabling this
feature wherever it's possible.

Re: has anyone tried KDE5?

Alan McKinnon-2
On 05/10/2014 17:50, Michael Palimaka wrote:

> On 10/06/2014 02:35 AM, Tanstaafl wrote:
>> On 10/5/2014 11:01 AM, Michael Palimaka <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> I'd be interested to know what KDE negatives you've
>>> experienced/heard in the past though.
>>
>> Bloat, buggy/unstable ever since the move from KDE3 to KDE4 (and never
>> really gotten any better over time), etc...
>>
>> But of course there are always haters too... I'm sure it isn't as bad as
>> the loudest complainers make it sound...
>>

> There were definitely issues in KDE 4 early days but there have been
> substantial improvements since then.  Regarding bloat/performance, this
> biggest complaints seem to be about nepomuk/baloo. We provide the
> semantic-desktop USE flag to provide the option of disabling this
> feature wherever it's possible.

People do complain about nepomuk/baloo, but in my opinion it's mostly
unwarranted. The first indexing action did always take a long time (and
so does mlocate) but once that's done, I found it didn't really impact
the system all that much.

My real beef is with akonadi and kdepim. I could never get the damn
thing to actually work or to tell me what it was doing in a manner I
could understand. The last straw was around KDE-4.4 when the importer
managed to destroy my entire mail store and leave me with nothing, so I
switched to claws and several years later switched again to Thunderbird.

I keep reading reports that kdepim is nowadays so much better and
stable, but to be frank I do not trust it, and likely never will. I also
understand this is not entirely logical, but it's just the way it is.

The rest of KDE I find to be very usable and rather pleasant to use. My
sole remaining gripe is lack of stored sessions in dolphin :-)

--
Alan McKinnon

Re: has anyone tried KDE5?

Volker Armin Hemmann
Am 05.10.2014 um 18:27 schrieb Alan McKinnon:

> On 05/10/2014 17:50, Michael Palimaka wrote:
>>> Bloat, buggy/unstable ever since the move from KDE3 to KDE4 (and never
>>> really gotten any better over time), etc...
>>>
>>> But of course there are always haters too... I'm sure it isn't as bad as
>>> the loudest complainers make it sound...
>>>

>> There were definitely issues in KDE 4 early days but there have been
>> substantial improvements since then.  Regarding bloat/performance, this
>> biggest complaints seem to be about nepomuk/baloo. We provide the
>> semantic-desktop USE flag to provide the option of disabling this
>> feature wherever it's possible.
>
> People do complain about nepomuk/baloo, but in my opinion it's mostly
> unwarranted. The first indexing action did always take a long time (and
> so does mlocate) but once that's done, I found it didn't really impact
> the system all that much.
>
> My real beef is with akonadi and kdepim. I could never get the damn
> thing to actually work or to tell me what it was doing in a manner I
> could understand. The last straw was around KDE-4.4 when the importer
> managed to destroy my entire mail store and leave me with nothing, so I
> switched to claws and several years later switched again to Thunderbird.

or even better: akonadi eating 10 years and 100 000+ archived emails.
But the gains were there - search became slower, if it worked at all and
all filters broke - several times.

> I keep reading reports that kdepim is nowadays so much better and
> stable, but to be frank I do not trust it, and likely never will. I also
> understand this is not entirely logical, but it's just the way it is.

as long as akonadi with its idiotic database backend is around, it will
never be trustworthy.

> The rest of KDE I find to be very usable and rather pleasant to use. My
> sole remaining gripe is lack of stored sessions in dolphin :-)

My favorite fuckups which are still around:
tumblr can make konqueror hang at 100% cpu for minutes, because of some
javascript - firefox and chromium are fine and dlisted in one tab is
fine, but open one of their articles in a new tab and konqueror just
vanishes. Not even the crash dialog pops up.

Re: has anyone tried KDE5?

Alan McKinnon-2
On 05/10/2014 18:59, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
>> My real beef is with akonadi and kdepim. I could never get the damn
>> > thing to actually work or to tell me what it was doing in a manner I
>> > could understand. The last straw was around KDE-4.4 when the importer
>> > managed to destroy my entire mail store and leave me with nothing, so I
>> > switched to claws and several years later switched again to Thunderbird.
> or even better: akonadi eating 10 years and 100 000+ archived emails.
> But the gains were there - search became slower, if it worked at all and
> all filters broke - several times.

Ever notice how no other pim-like application feels the need to store
everything in mysql or similar? The fact that so many pim-like apps
actually do work should count for something

>> > I keep reading reports that kdepim is nowadays so much better and
>> > stable, but to be frank I do not trust it, and likely never will. I also
>> > understand this is not entirely logical, but it's just the way it is.
> as long as akonadi with its idiotic database backend is around, it will
> never be trustworthy.
>> >
>> > The rest of KDE I find to be very usable and rather pleasant to use. My
>> > sole remaining gripe is lack of stored sessions in dolphin :-)
>> >
> My favorite fuckups which are still around:
> tumblr can make konqueror hang at 100% cpu for minutes, because of some
> javascript - firefox and chromium are fine and dlisted in one tab is
> fine, but open one of their articles in a new tab and konqueror just
> vanishes. Not even the crash dialog pops up.

I haven't used konqueror as a browser in many many months, I get along
just fine with firefox and chromium. I believe konqueror is essentially
unmaintained these days or at least on life support. Make a fine file
manager though (kparts has always been one of KDE's very much better ideas)

--
Alan McKinnon

Re: has anyone tried KDE5?

Volker Armin Hemmann
Am 05.10.2014 um 19:10 schrieb Alan McKinnon:

> On 05/10/2014 18:59, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
>>> My real beef is with akonadi and kdepim. I could never get the damn
>> or even better: akonadi eating 10 years and 100 000+ archived emails.
>> But the gains were there - search became slower, if it worked at all and
>> all filters broke - several times.
>
> Ever notice how no other pim-like application feels the need to store
> everything in mysql or similar? The fact that so many pim-like apps
> actually do work should count for something

>> as long as akonadi with its idiotic database backend is around, it will
>> never be trustworthy.
>>>>
>> My favorite fuckups which are still around:
>> tumblr can make konqueror hang at 100% cpu for minutes, because of some
>> javascript - firefox and chromium are fine and dlisted in one tab is
>> fine, but open one of their articles in a new tab and konqueror just
>> vanishes. Not even the crash dialog pops up.
> I haven't used konqueror as a browser in many many months, I get along
> just fine with firefox and chromium. I believe konqueror is essentially
> unmaintained these days or at least on life support. Make a fine file
> manager though (kparts has always been one of KDE's very much better ideas)

konqueror for the usual stuff
firefox for video sites (like youtube)&facebook
chromium for fucking retard sites that make my blood boil. like
*.yahoo.com, tumblr, flickr.

Re: has anyone tried KDE5?

Volker Armin Hemmann
Am 04.10.2014 um 19:37 schrieb Michael Palimaka:

> On 10/04/2014 11:26 PM, behrouz khosravi wrote:
>> Hello everyone.
>> I was wondering if anyone has tried KDE5?
>> Do you know when it's going to be placed in the main tree?
>>
>> thanks
> Hi,
>
> The KDE release structure has evolved[1], decoupling the release cycle
> of the Platform, Workspace, and Applications. This means that there is
> no longer a single Software Compilation in the same way there was with
> KDE 4.
>
> We (Gentoo KDE team) have not yet made a decision as to when the Plasma
> 5 Workspace will be pushed to the main tree. I've been using it on a
> daily basis for about six months, and consider the next release (5.1.0)
> to be a good candidate for the main tree.
>
> The underlying Platform (KDE Frameworks 5) upon which Plasma 5 is built
> is expected in the main tree in about a week, after the 5.3.0 release.
>
> Best regards,
> Michael
>
> [1]: https://dot.kde.org/2013/09/04/kde-release-structure-evolves

ok, at the moment you can't even install this mess:

merge: there are no ebuilds built with USE flags to satisfy
">=dev-qt/qtwebkit-5.3.2:5[debug=,widgets]".
!!! One of the following packages is required to complete your request:
- dev-qt/qtwebkit-5.3.2-r1::gentoo (Missing IUSE: widgets)
(dependency required by "dev-qt/qtquick1-5.3.2" [ebuild])
(dependency required by "kde-frameworks/plasma-5.2.0::kde" [ebuild])
(dependency required by "@kde-frameworks-5.2" [argument])

yepp, three ebuilds depending on qtwebkit with the widgets useflag -
that it doesn't even have. Oh joy. And that after 2h+ dealing with other
useflag related shenanigans.

btw from the changelog:

  25 Sep 2014; Michael Palimaka <[hidden email]> metadata.xml:
  Remove unused USE flag.

that unused useflag wasn't 'widgets' by chance? ^^

Re: has anyone tried KDE5?

Michael Palimaka
On 10/06/2014 05:34 AM, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:

> Am 04.10.2014 um 19:37 schrieb Michael Palimaka:
>> On 10/04/2014 11:26 PM, behrouz khosravi wrote:
>>> Hello everyone.
>>> I was wondering if anyone has tried KDE5?
>>> Do you know when it's going to be placed in the main tree?
>>>
>>> thanks
>> Hi,
>>
>> The KDE release structure has evolved[1], decoupling the release cycle
>> of the Platform, Workspace, and Applications. This means that there is
>> no longer a single Software Compilation in the same way there was with
>> KDE 4.
>>
>> We (Gentoo KDE team) have not yet made a decision as to when the Plasma
>> 5 Workspace will be pushed to the main tree. I've been using it on a
>> daily basis for about six months, and consider the next release (5.1.0)
>> to be a good candidate for the main tree.
>>
>> The underlying Platform (KDE Frameworks 5) upon which Plasma 5 is built
>> is expected in the main tree in about a week, after the 5.3.0 release.
>>
>> Best regards,
>> Michael
>>
>> [1]: https://dot.kde.org/2013/09/04/kde-release-structure-evolves
>>

> ok, at the moment you can't even install this mess:
>
> merge: there are no ebuilds built with USE flags to satisfy
> ">=dev-qt/qtwebkit-5.3.2:5[debug=,widgets]".
> !!! One of the following packages is required to complete your request:
> - dev-qt/qtwebkit-5.3.2-r1::gentoo (Missing IUSE: widgets)
> (dependency required by "dev-qt/qtquick1-5.3.2" [ebuild])
> (dependency required by "kde-frameworks/plasma-5.2.0::kde" [ebuild])
> (dependency required by "@kde-frameworks-5.2" [argument])
>
> yepp, three ebuilds depending on qtwebkit with the widgets useflag -
> that it doesn't even have. Oh joy. And that after 2h+ dealing with other
> useflag related shenanigans.
>
> btw from the changelog:
>
>   25 Sep 2014; Michael Palimaka <[hidden email]> metadata.xml:
>   Remove unused USE flag.
>
> that unused useflag wasn't 'widgets' by chance? ^^

Thanks for testing. It appears I missed a couple of consumers (I did
check!) and it's fixed now.

What other USE flag issues did you encounter?

Re: has anyone tried KDE5?

Jens Reinemuth-2
Am Sonntag, 5. Oktober 2014, 18:59:31 schrieb Volker Armin Hemmann:

> Am 05.10.2014 um 18:27 schrieb Alan McKinnon:
> > On 05/10/2014 17:50, Michael Palimaka wrote:ystem all that much.
> >
> > My real beef is with akonadi and kdepim. I could never get the damn
> > thing to actually work or to tell me what it was doing in a manner I
> > could understand. The last straw was around KDE-4.4 when the importer
> > managed to destroy my entire mail store and leave me with nothing, so I
> > switched to claws and several years later switched again to Thunderbird.
>
> or even better: akonadi eating 10 years and 100 000+ archived emails.
> But the gains were there - search became slower, if it worked at all and
> all filters broke - several times.

I can't really count how many times i simply deleted all the .config/akonadi
and .local/akonadi stuff - and let akonadi regenerate it, simply because i
deeply believed in the whole crap getting better! It never got better...

Currently i can live with all that stuff, simply by disabling all nepomuk- and
akonadi-stuff and waiting for it to show all my mails again...

Funny: My wife has a second account with exactly the same settings and is
deeply annoyed by the permanent popups telling her that the balloo-indexer has
closed... Indeed she has disabled it!!! So i have to kill that shit every
time!

Most annoying story in the last time: KdePIM 4.10 simply stopped working with
my private Courier-IMAP-Server, telling everyone, that courier has a bug...
Ok, maybe, but it worked since every Version and just stopped because one ore
more developers simply decided to do things "right"!!!

No Problem in Gentoo, simply mask and downgrade kdepim-meta... I had more
problems at work with Kubuntu! With KDE4.10.1 everything works as expected...

But this is just a gnome-like-behavior... The developers simply don't really
care what the users want or need... i really never heard of anybody saying: Oh
that search stuff is cool! I use it regularily!

And to go deeper: Why don't they store documents in a database, that is better
optimized for documents... MongoDB? CouchDB? Instead they use this shitty
mixture of MySQL and Virtuoso!? WTF?

--
jens reinemuth
leonhard-eckel-siedlung 4

Stewie Griffin:  So, what do you think of this "Music Television?"

Re: has anyone tried KDE5?

Volker Armin Hemmann
Am 06.10.2014 um 11:57 schrieb Michael Palimaka:

> On 10/06/2014 05:34 AM, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:

>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> The KDE release structure has evolved[1], decoupling the release cycle
>>> of the Platform, Workspace, and Applications. This means that there is
>>> no longer a single Software Compilation in the same way there was with
>>> KDE 4.
>>>
>>> We (Gentoo KDE team) have not yet made a decision as to when the Plasma
>>> 5 Workspace will be pushed to the main tree. I've been using it on a
>>> daily basis for about six months, and consider the next release (5.1.0)
>>> to be a good candidate for the main tree.
>>>
>>> The underlying Platform (KDE Frameworks 5) upon which Plasma 5 is built
>>> is expected in the main tree in about a week, after the 5.3.0 release.
>>>
>>> Best regards,
>>> Michael
>>>
>>> [1]: https://dot.kde.org/2013/09/04/kde-release-structure-evolves
>>>

>> ok, at the moment you can't even install this mess:
>>
>> merge: there are no ebuilds built with USE flags to satisfy
>> ">=dev-qt/qtwebkit-5.3.2:5[debug=,widgets]".
>> !!! One of the following packages is required to complete your request:
>> - dev-qt/qtwebkit-5.3.2-r1::gentoo (Missing IUSE: widgets)
>> (dependency required by "dev-qt/qtquick1-5.3.2" [ebuild])
>> (dependency required by "kde-frameworks/plasma-5.2.0::kde" [ebuild])
>> (dependency required by "@kde-frameworks-5.2" [argument])
>>
>> yepp, three ebuilds depending on qtwebkit with the widgets useflag -
>> that it doesn't even have. Oh joy. And that after 2h+ dealing with other
>> useflag related shenanigans.
>>
>> btw from the changelog:
>>
>>   25 Sep 2014; Michael Palimaka <[hidden email]> metadata.xml:
>>   Remove unused USE flag.
>>
>> that unused useflag wasn't 'widgets' by chance? ^^
>>

> Thanks for testing. It appears I missed a couple of consumers (I did
> check!) and it's fixed now.
>
> What other USE flag issues did you encounter?

gles2 and kms was fun. It was easy - but emerge --ask takes so much time
that a lot of time was wasted.

Re: has anyone tried KDE5?

Mick-10
On Monday 06 Oct 2014 16:44:57 Jens Reinemuth wrote:

> Am Sonntag, 5. Oktober 2014, 18:59:31 schrieb Volker Armin Hemmann:
> > Am 05.10.2014 um 18:27 schrieb Alan McKinnon:
> > > On 05/10/2014 17:50, Michael Palimaka wrote:ystem all that much.
> > >
> > > My real beef is with akonadi and kdepim. I could never get the damn
> > > thing to actually work or to tell me what it was doing in a manner I
> > > could understand. The last straw was around KDE-4.4 when the importer
> > > managed to destroy my entire mail store and leave me with nothing, so I
> > > switched to claws and several years later switched again to
> > > Thunderbird.
> >
> > or even better: akonadi eating 10 years and 100 000+ archived emails.
> > But the gains were there - search became slower, if it worked at all and
> > all filters broke - several times.
>
> I can't really count how many times i simply deleted all the
> .config/akonadi and .local/akonadi stuff - and let akonadi regenerate it,
> simply because i deeply believed in the whole crap getting better! It
> never got better...
>
> Currently i can live with all that stuff, simply by disabling all nepomuk-
> and akonadi-stuff and waiting for it to show all my mails again...
>
> Funny: My wife has a second account with exactly the same settings and is
> deeply annoyed by the permanent popups telling her that the balloo-indexer
> has closed... Indeed she has disabled it!!! So i have to kill that shit
> every time!
>
> Most annoying story in the last time: KdePIM 4.10 simply stopped working
> with my private Courier-IMAP-Server, telling everyone, that courier has a
> bug... Ok, maybe, but it worked since every Version and just stopped
> because one ore more developers simply decided to do things "right"!!!
>
> No Problem in Gentoo, simply mask and downgrade kdepim-meta... I had more
> problems at work with Kubuntu! With KDE4.10.1 everything works as
> expected...
>
> But this is just a gnome-like-behavior... The developers simply don't
> really care what the users want or need... i really never heard of anybody
> saying: Oh that search stuff is cool! I use it regularily!
>
> And to go deeper: Why don't they store documents in a database, that is
> better optimized for documents... MongoDB? CouchDB? Instead they use this
> shitty mixture of MySQL and Virtuoso!? WTF?

No, no, no!  What they should do is use Microsoft's Sharepoint server
solution, which stores documents in the MS SQL as binary blobs ... millions of
corporate users can't be wrong!  O_o

Mick

Re: has anyone tried KDE5?

J. Roeleveld
On 6 October 2014 23:47:51 CEST, Mick <[hidden email]> wrote:

>On Monday 06 Oct 2014 16:44:57 Jens Reinemuth wrote:

>damn
>manner I
>importer
>nothing, so I
>> >
>> > or even better: akonadi eating 10 years and 100 000+ archived
>emails.
>> > But the gains were there - search became slower, if it worked at
>all and
>> > all filters broke - several times.
>>
>> I can't really count how many times i simply deleted all the
>> .config/akonadi and .local/akonadi stuff - and let akonadi regenerate
>it,
>> simply because i deeply believed in the whole crap getting better! It
>> never got better...
>>
>> Currently i can live with all that stuff, simply by disabling all
>nepomuk-
>> and akonadi-stuff and waiting for it to show all my mails again...
>>
>> Funny: My wife has a second account with exactly the same settings
>and is
>> deeply annoyed by the permanent popups telling her that the
>balloo-indexer
>> has closed... Indeed she has disabled it!!! So i have to kill that
>shit
>> every time!
>>
>> Most annoying story in the last time: KdePIM 4.10 simply stopped
>working
>> with my private Courier-IMAP-Server, telling everyone, that courier
>has a
>> bug... Ok, maybe, but it worked since every Version and just stopped
>> because one ore more developers simply decided to do things
>"right"!!!
>>
>> No Problem in Gentoo, simply mask and downgrade kdepim-meta... I had
>more
>> problems at work with Kubuntu! With KDE4.10.1 everything works as
>> expected...
>>
>> But this is just a gnome-like-behavior... The developers simply don't
>> really care what the users want or need... i really never heard of
>anybody
>> saying: Oh that search stuff is cool! I use it regularily!
>>
>> And to go deeper: Why don't they store documents in a database, that
>is
>> better optimized for documents... MongoDB? CouchDB? Instead they use
>this
>> shitty mixture of MySQL and Virtuoso!? WTF?
>

>No, no, no!  What they should do is use Microsoft's Sharepoint server
>solution, which stores documents in the MS SQL as binary blobs ...
>millions of
>corporate users can't be wrong!  O_o

Please don't tell them!

At one of my customers they use Sharepoint as a CVS for sourcecode....

I keep having to merge changes manually....

--
Joost

Re: has anyone tried KDE5?

Jens Reinemuth-2

Am Montag, 6. Oktober 2014, 22:47:51 schrieb Mick:

> On Monday 06 Oct 2014 16:44:57 Jens Reinemuth wrote:

> > And to go deeper: Why don't they store documents in a database, that is

> > better optimized for documents... MongoDB? CouchDB? Instead they use this

> > shitty mixture of MySQL and Virtuoso!? WTF?

> No, no, no! What they should do is use Microsoft's Sharepoint server

> solution, which stores documents in the MS SQL as binary blobs ... millions of

> corporate users can't be wrong! O_o

Great idea... ;-) I really can't understand why anyone would use a database as file-storage!?

But to be real: Why not use anything for akonadi/nepomuk that ist really optimized for the purpose... Why not Solr or Elasticsearch... I mean: Nobody really ever uses that crap for anything else than doing fulltext-search! As far as i remember, even that purpose wasn't really very well done! Elasticsearch with some indexers that push a plaintextversion of nearly every document-format into the index and you will enjoy searches in millions of documents in nearly "no time"... Using some tags and categories, you will have the perfect semantic experience!

--

jens reinemuth

leonhard-eckel-siedlung 4a

d-67483 edesheim

mobil: +49.176.63613420

mail: [hidden email]

jabber: [hidden email]

--

scribline, n.:

The blank area on the back of credit cards where one's signature goes.

-- "Sniglets", Rich Hall & Friends

Re: has anyone tried KDE5?

Pavel Volkov-2
On Sunday, October 5, 2014 9:10:50 PM MSK, Alan McKinnon wrote:
> I haven't used konqueror as a browser in many many months, I get along
> just fine with firefox and chromium. I believe konqueror is essentially
> unmaintained these days or at least on life support. Make a fine file
> manager though (kparts has always been one of KDE's very much better
ideas)

I think there was a tendency to replace Konqueror with rekonq in KDE-based
distros.
Can somebody comment on how rekonq is doing?

123