how do I tell my PCMCIA wifi card on iBook G3 800MHz

how do I tell my PCMCIA wifi card on iBook G3 800MHz

Zhang Weiwu, Beijing
I can use wireless with wireless-tools fine, with no configuration at
all (no configuration: I don't even need to add a single line to
/etc/conf.d/net in order to use it).

However wireless-tools doesn't support WPA which I sometimes use. I have
installed wpa_supplicants but having read the WPA need user specify
which driver to use for it.

In order to know which driver to use I first need to know what hardware
I have. However lspci does not list my wifi device (nor lsusb). But the
devices does exist because I can surf the Internet with it.

Where do I start from here?

Re: how do I tell my PCMCIA wifi card on iBook G3 800MHz

Samuel Iglesias Gonsálvez
On Sun, 18 Jan 2009 16:20:00 +0800
[hidden email] wrote:

> I can use wireless with wireless-tools fine, with no configuration at
> all (no configuration: I don't even need to add a single line to
> /etc/conf.d/net in order to use it).
>
> However wireless-tools doesn't support WPA which I sometimes use. I
> have installed wpa_supplicants but having read the WPA need user
> specify which driver to use for it.
>
> In order to know which driver to use I first need to know what
> hardware I have. However lspci does not list my wifi device (nor
> lsusb). But the devices does exist because I can surf the Internet
> with it.
>
> Where do I start from here?

Have you followed the gentoo documentation? [0]

I use Airport Extreme as wireless network card, I run this command to
connect to my wifi network:

wpa_supplicant -Dwext -iwlan0 -c/etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf

As you can see, the driver option in wpa_supplicant is wext. I think you
can use the same option.

[0]
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?style=printable&part=4&chap=4

Re: how do I tell my PCMCIA wifi card on iBook G3 800MHz

Enlightened User
grep your MAC address from the output of dmesg. This should show the
driver that found the interface.
You can find your MAC address using ifconfig. Look for the interface
with your IP address.

ifconfig
dmesg | grep 00:01:02:03:04:AB     (use your MAC address here)

Enlightened User schrieb:
> grep your MAC address from the output of dmesg. This should show the
> driver that found the interface.
> You can find your MAC address using ifconfig. Look for the interface
> with your IP address.
>
> ifconfig
> dmesg | grep 00:01:02:03:04:AB     (use your MAC address here)
orinoco 0.15 (David Gibson <[hidden email]>, Pavel Roskin <proski@
gnu.org>, et al)
airport 0.15 (Benjamin Herrenschmidt <[hidden email]>)
MacIO PCI driver attached to Pangea chipset
airport: Physical address 80030000
eth1: Hardware identity 0005:0001:0001:0000
eth1: Station identity  001f:0001:0008:0046
eth1: Firmware determined as Lucent/Agere 8.70
eth1: Ad-hoc demo mode supported
eth1: IEEE standard IBSS ad-hoc mode supported
eth1: WEP supported, 104-bit key
eth1: MAC address 00:30:65:1a:25:a5
eth1: Station name "HERMES I"
eth1: ready
airport: Card registered for interface eth1

Thanks. Now I got card model information from dmesg.