how to install gentoo with livecd kernel file on ibook G3?

how to install gentoo with livecd kernel file on ibook G3?

mv.1001
This post was updated on .
I tried several times to find the kernel file inside livecd, such like 2.6.19-gentoo-r5-apple. but I could not get it. anyone knows how to use livecd kernel to install gentoo on ibook g3?
Thanks!

Re: how to install gentoo with livecd kernel file on ibook G3?

Ugo Cupcic
Hi,

Did you try to follow this : http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/2008.0/handbook-ppc.xml ?

I installed gentoo on my iBook g3 with this handbook and it worked fine for me.

Cheers,

On Fri, Jun 19, 2009 at 2:42 AM, mv.1001 <[hidden email]> wrote:

I tried several times to find the kernel file inside livecd, such like
2.6.19-gentoo-r5-apple. but I could not get it. anyone knows how to use
livecd kernel to install gentoo on ibook g3?
Thanks!

              Ugo Cupcic
http://ugocupcic.freehostia.com/
   _
  ' v '
/      \
 m m

Re: how to install gentoo with livecd kernel file on ibook G3?

mv.1001
hi,Ugo..

I know the handbook. but I try to use the precompiled kernel without emerge kernel-source. you know, I tried the x86 handbook for use livecd kernel to install gentoo. but it doesn't work for me. I cant find the assign directory and file. That's my problem.
anyone done this before? pls help me.

Ugo Cupcic wrote

On Fri, Jun 19, 2009 at 2:42 AM, mv.1001 <mv1001@gmail.com> wrote:

> I tried several times to find the kernel file inside livecd, such like
> 2.6.19-gentoo-r5-apple. but I could not get it. anyone knows how to use
> livecd kernel to install gentoo on ibook g3?
> Thanks!

              Ugo Cupcic
http://ugocupcic.freehostia.com/
   _
  ' v '
/      \
 m m

Re: how to install gentoo with livecd kernel file on ibook G3?

mattmatteh-2
What do you mean by the precompiled kernel ?

Why would you use the handbook for x86 ?

Perhaps try the handbook for ppc, if you get stuck on a particular step,
ask about that step.  There is also #gentoo-powerpc on irc, kinda quiet
there sometimes so you might have to wait a while.

matt

On Fri, 19 Jun 2009, mv.1001 wrote:

> hi,Ugo..
>
> I know the handbook. but I try to use the precompiled kernel without emerge
> kernel-source. you know, I tried the x86 handbook for use livecd kernel to
> install gentoo. but it doesn't work for me. I cant find the assign directory
> and file. That's my problem.
> anyone done this before? pls help me.
>

> Ugo Cupcic wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Did you try to follow this :
>> http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/2008.0/handbook-ppc.xml ?
>>
>> I installed gentoo on my iBook g3 with this handbook and it worked fine
>> for
>> me.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>

>> On Fri, Jun 19, 2009 at 2:42 AM, mv.1001 <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>>> I tried several times to find the kernel file inside livecd, such like
>>> 2.6.19-gentoo-r5-apple. but I could not get it. anyone knows how to use
>>> livecd kernel to install gentoo on ibook g3?
>>> Thanks!
>>> --
>>>

>> --
>>               Ugo Cupcic
>> http://ugocupcic.freehostia.com/
>>    _
>>   ' v '
>> /      \
>>  m m

Re: how to install gentoo with livecd kernel file on ibook G3?

phriedrich

the pre-compiled kernel (which the cd boots from) is placed in
the /boot-directory of the cd, I believe.

You can copy it from there to your mounted gentoo-partition.

Maybe you also should copy the initrd/initramdisk from this directory
and the /lib/modules-dir.

And of course, you need to add it to yaboot manually.

But I've to say, this kernel is pretty generic, and won't fit your
hardware in an optimal way.

I only used it as a fallback-option once, when I remote-set up a
headless
system and it worked so far, but better build your own kernel.

Regards,
Friedrich

PGP.sig (201 bytes) Download Attachment

Re: how to install gentoo with livecd kernel file on ibook G3?

Joseph Jezak
The kernel can be found at: /boot/ppc32

You will also need the modules and initrd to actually use this kernel.
It's really not recommended as it's configured to get the most machines
booting, not take advantage of any of your hardware.  It would be better
to simply install the kernel source and use "make defconfig" to achieve
largely the same results.

-Joe