import .(dot)pst files into KMail?

El Nino
dear friends,

my company user has his all mails on one .pst(MS outlook PST file) file & it contains more than 2GB. so now i have to import them into newly installed KMail application on my Linux box. my question is how can i import .(dot)pst file into KMail?

all advices are welcome...

"The future lies ahead."
_______________________
< Have you mooed today? >
        \    ^__^
         \   (oo) \_______
             (__) \             )\/\
                    | |-----w   |
                    | |        | |

2.6.13-gentoo-r4

Re: import .(dot)pst files into KMail?

stroller-6

On Nov 6, 2005, at 8:03 pm, El Nino wrote:

>  my company user has his all mails on one .pst(MS outlook PST file)
> file & it contains more than 2GB. so now i have to import them into
> newly installed KMail application on my Linux box. my question is how
> can i import .(dot)pst file into KMail?

.pst files are notoriously horrible to work on - IMHO the best way to
solve this is to set up an account on an IMAP server & in Outlook drag
all the messages across into the IMAP mailboxes. This ensures that the
only program dealing with the proprietary format of the .pst files is
Outlook itself - once Outlook passes the message across to the IMAP
server then that'll store the messages in a standard mailbox format
like maildir or mbox. It may take quite some time to copy all the files
across the network & onto the server but - blindly confident in
Outlook's ability to talk to a "standard" IMAP server - I really
believe this to be the cleanest way.

If this isn't an option then take a look at net-mail/libpst - I used
this or something similar a number of years ago to export some
thousands of messages from Outlook Express to mbox and it seemed to
mostly work. I say _mostly_ because I believe there were some messages
that got garbled, losing (I think) the date or some other header
information.

Not only is the format of .pst files hideously complicated and binary,
but it also changes between versions of Outlook - 2000 may not open an
Outlook 2003 .pst file, for instance. Due to the quantity & nature of
the messages you're dealing with it's hard to audit a conversion like
this - this is why my preference is to get Outlook to do the donkey
work on files of this format, rather than a 3rd-party tool.

Stroller.

Re: import .(dot)pst files into KMail?

David Helstroom
El Nino wrote:

> dear friends,
>
> my company user has his all mails on one .pst(MS outlook PST file)
> file & it contains more than 2GB. so now i have to import them into
> newly installed KMail application on my Linux box. my question is how
> can i import .(dot)pst file into KMail?
>
> all advices are welcome...

I remember doing this a long time ago... I think I installed the Mozilla
suite on the Windows box, and used Mozilla Mail to import the Outlook
files. I seem to remember that Mozilla on Windows can make use of
Outlook's own PST handling DLLs or something, as the Mozilla on Windows
provides this import from Outlook/PST, while Mozilla on Linux does not.

Once the emails are imported into Mozilla Mail, copy the actual mail
directory (something like "C:\Documents and Settings\user\Application
Data\Mozilla\Mail\...." - you'll need to have a bit of a search) to the
Linux box, and use the KMail import options to process it.

Hope that helps,

    Dave.

smime.p7s (4K) Download Attachment