install ISO not bootable

cd1

install ISO not bootable

cd1
hi!

I want to install Gentoo on a PowerPC machine, but I can't find a
bootable ISO. I've tried install-powerpc-minimal-20090809 and
install-powerpc-universal-2008.0 but none of those files boot. where
can I find a bootable Gentoo image, or how can I make it bootable?

see you,

--
Crístian Deives dos Santos Viana [aka CD1]
Sent from Campinas, SP, Brazil

Re: install ISO not bootable

mattmatteh-2
On Sat, 5 Sep 2009, Crístian Viana wrote:

> hi!
>
> I want to install Gentoo on a PowerPC machine, but I can't find a
> bootable ISO. I've tried install-powerpc-minimal-20090809 and
> install-powerpc-universal-2008.0 but none of those files boot. where
> can I find a bootable Gentoo image, or how can I make it bootable?
>
> see you,

i thought something was broke with powerpc-minimal-20090809, there was
chat on irc about it.

try install-powerpc-minimal-2008.0.iso ?  i dont remember if i used that
one or not.

what powerpc computer do you have ?

matt
cd1

Crístian Deives dos Santos Viana [aka CD1]
cd1

Re: install ISO not bootable

cd1
is there any way I can boot the CD through yaboot? I'm not familiar with this program. I googled about it and I found out I can type something like:

cd:1,/boot/yaboot

but that doesn't work for me. I guess it has something to do with the "boot" directory on the ISO image, but I don't know if I can point to other file (like /boot/ibmpower).

any other suggestion of how to boot will be appreciated, when the CD doesn't boot itself. there's a Red Hat already installed on the machine, if it helps. and I think the floppy drive isn't working, so I can't use it (it shows input/output errors when I try to access some disks). so my options are: use yaboot to boot the CD, do a network install (never done it) or use the existing Linux. any idea?

see you,

On Sun, Sep 6, 2009 at 3:42 PM, <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Sun, 6 Sep 2009, Crístian Viana wrote:

I tried install-powerpc-minimal-2008.0, it didn't work too. I have an IBM
pSeries POWER4.

try install-powerpc-minimal-2008.0.iso ?  i dont remember if i used that
one or not.

what powerpc computer do you have ?

matt

i only have 2 ibooks here.  not familiar with ibm hardware

Crístian Deives dos Santos Viana [aka CD1]
Sent from Campinas, SP, Brazil

Re: install ISO not bootable

Wolfram Kahl
Cristian,

 > any other suggestion of how to boot will be appreciated, when the CD doesn't
 > boot itself. there's a Red Hat already installed on the machine, if it
 > helps. and I think the floppy drive isn't working, so I can't use it (it
 > shows input/output errors when I try to access some disks). so my options
 > are: use yaboot to boot the CD, do a network install (never done it) or use
 > the existing Linux. any idea?

Using the existing linux should definitely be an option --- you just use that
instead of the bood CD (I have done this once on AMD64 from ubuntu).

I.e., you login as root, make sure the network is working
and you have sufficient free partitions for your install
except that you must not use the partition of the existing linux,
and then you just go along the handbook from after partitioning:
unpack stages, chroot, continue install (and make sure you know
what you are doing at each step, in case you may have to adapt).

If possible, keep a terminal or console open in the original system
(outside the chroot) (and never confuse the two!), as sometimes
it might come in handy.

Find out what the bootloader installation is that boots RedHat ---
you can possibly hijack it and insert Gentoo either as another alternative
(preferable) or instead of RedHat.
Since you cannot boot from CD, the bootloader step is going to be the most
critical step of the whole install.

Good luck!

Wolfram