ipv6 + dhcpv6 + unique local addresses

Halassy Zoltán
Hello!

Is there anyone who has experience with unique local addresses (fc00::/7)?

I have experience with radvd and isc dhcp (in ipv6 mode too with the -6
flag), I could already configure stateful configuration with global
unicast (2000::/3) addresses with working default gateway.

What I am trying to do now is to create a local IPv6 network space with
a dhcpv6 server (amd64 gentoo), which is only reachable via VPN. The
network does not have any router, it's isolated. IPv4 is not an option,
and DHCPv6 is mandatory. The clients are mostly Windows Vista+ systems.
What I am seeking is the proper way to do this. I could make it work,
but I consider this a hack.

I generated a random IPv6 address range, but I will use the
fd00:2001:db8::/64 prefix in the description.

Problem #1:

DHCPv6 works fine, it pushes an IPv6 address to the client, but the
client does not get the prefix information with it. Eg.: client gets
fd00:2001:db8::ffff:fffe/128 as address, but missing the local route
information for fd00:2001:db8::/64 through the interface.

Problem #2:

If I use radvd advertising the fd00:2001:db8::/64 prefix, the client
configures that up, but it also configures a bogus default route too,
which is definitely unwanted.

Hack #1:

Using dhcp and radvd together actually works (even though it's very
ugly). It does not ruin an existing IPv6 connection, and does not cause
problems when originally there is none. I just fear it *might*.

Hack #2:

It is possible to create static (even on-link) routes with netsh, but
other than being ugly as well, it's not platform independent solution.

What I would require is (if it's somehow possible), to make the
platform-independent client do prefix discovery, find the prefix
on-link, but do not configure routing information for that link. And to
do it the proper way.

Any ideas?

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment

Re: ipv6 + dhcpv6 + unique local addresses

info
Thank you for contacting Resilient. We will respond to you shortly.

Kind regards,

The Resilient team

============

This is an auto-reply message; please do not respond to this e-mail

Re: ipv6 + dhcpv6 + unique local addresses

Vinícius Ferrão-2
Someone ban this spammer from the lists.

Vinícius Ferrão: Administrador de Sistemas
www.ferrao.eti.br | +55 (21) 8888-2619

smime.p7s (3K) Download Attachment

Re: ipv6 + dhcpv6 + unique local addresses

Halassy Zoltán
To answer my own question, actually found the answer:

http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2461.txt

On page 18:

Router Lifetime
                      [...] A
                      Lifetime of 0 indicates that the router is not a
                      default router and SHOULD NOT appear on the default
                      router list. [...]

So this needs to written in radvd.conf:

AdvDefaultLifetime 0;

Yay.