libGL symlinks vs `eselect opengl`

Davyd McColl
The other day I installed Celestia for the entertainment of my son, who is delighted with anything stellar / planetary. Celestia wouldn't start up, and, long-story-short, I tracked down the issue to the symlinks:

/usr/lib64/libGL.so
/usr/lib64/libGL.so.1

which ultimately point to

/usr/lib64/libGL.so.1.2.0,

provided by media-libs/mesa. Naturally, I assumed I'd made a mistake with `eselect` at some point, so I checked with `eselect opengl list` and found that, as expected, my selected opengl implementation was nvidia. Just in case, I switched over to xorg-x11 (mesa) and back again, but this didn't fix the problem.

Manually redirecting these to /usr/lib64/opengl/nvidia/lib/libGL.so (provided by x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers) works, however, of course, portage doesn't know anything about this, so the update I received today for media-libs/mesa reverted these symlinks back to pointing at mesa libs.

So the questions I have are these:
1) Am I reasonable in expecting `eselect opengl` to maintain these symlinks? I feel like it's a reasonable expectation, but perhaps there's just yet another thing I have to learn / understand.
2) Should I be logging a bug (against eselect, or perhaps celestia, since this is the only app which seems to have suffered this fate -- games like Torchlight 2 and utils like glxgears work just fine; glxinfo reports NVIDIA extensions), or is there just something I've fundamentally missed or messed up here?

Thanks
-d

--
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
If you say that getting the money is the most important thing

Which is stupid.

- Alan Watts
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gXTZM_uPMY

Re: libGL symlinks vs `eselect opengl`

Andrew Savchenko
Hi!

On Wed, 22 Aug 2018 20:33:00 +0200 Davyd McColl wrote:

> The other day I installed Celestia for the entertainment of my son, who is
> delighted with anything stellar / planetary. Celestia wouldn't start up,
> and, long-story-short, I tracked down the issue to the symlinks:
>
> /usr/lib64/libGL.so
> /usr/lib64/libGL.so.1
>
> which ultimately point to
>
> /usr/lib64/libGL.so.1.2.0,
>
> provided by media-libs/mesa. Naturally, I assumed I'd made a mistake with
> `eselect` at some point, so I checked with `eselect opengl list` and found
> that, as expected, my selected opengl implementation was nvidia. Just in
> case, I switched over to xorg-x11 (mesa) and back again, but this didn't
> fix the problem.
>
> Manually redirecting these to /usr/lib64/opengl/nvidia/lib/libGL.so
> (provided by x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers) works, however, of course, portage
> doesn't know anything about this, so the update I received today for
> media-libs/mesa reverted these symlinks back to pointing at mesa libs.
>
> So the questions I have are these:
> 1) Am I reasonable in expecting `eselect opengl` to maintain these
> symlinks? I feel like it's a reasonable expectation, but perhaps there's
> just yet another thing I have to learn / understand.
No, eselect opengl works differently. It uses /etc/env.d to alter
LDPATH and OPENGL_PROFILE environment variables. It also changes
xorg.conf.

So you may need to restart your X server and source /etc/profile in
active shells for changes to take effect.

> 2) Should I be logging a bug (against eselect, or perhaps celestia, since
> this is the only app which seems to have suffered this fate -- games like
> Torchlight 2 and utils like glxgears work just fine; glxinfo reports NVIDIA
> extensions), or is there just something I've fundamentally missed or messed
> up here?

If glxinfo reports correct data and glxgears works fine, then this
may be a bug and please report it. You may CC both celestia and
opengl since right now it is not obvious which is the culprit.

Best regards,
Andrew Savchenko

Re: libGL symlinks vs `eselect opengl`

Davyd McColl
Thanks for getting back to me. I'd really like to not make a useless bug report, so please bear with me:

1. Am I correct that I should report here: https://bugs.gentoo.org/enter_bug.cgi?product=Gentoo%20Linux
2. I ask the above because I'm not entirely clear on how to CC opengl and celestia at the above url. If that's the right place (and it looks to be right), please let me know how to apply the correct CCs such that the right people get eyes on this and I'm not spamming the wrong people (:

Thanks
-d

On Wed, 29 Aug 2018 at 18:19, Andrew Savchenko <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi!

On Wed, 22 Aug 2018 20:33:00 +0200 Davyd McColl wrote:
> The other day I installed Celestia for the entertainment of my son, who is
> delighted with anything stellar / planetary. Celestia wouldn't start up,
> and, long-story-short, I tracked down the issue to the symlinks:
>
> /usr/lib64/libGL.so
> /usr/lib64/libGL.so.1
>
> which ultimately point to
>
> /usr/lib64/libGL.so.1.2.0,
>
> provided by media-libs/mesa. Naturally, I assumed I'd made a mistake with
> `eselect` at some point, so I checked with `eselect opengl list` and found
> that, as expected, my selected opengl implementation was nvidia. Just in
> case, I switched over to xorg-x11 (mesa) and back again, but this didn't
> fix the problem.
>
> Manually redirecting these to /usr/lib64/opengl/nvidia/lib/libGL.so
> (provided by x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers) works, however, of course, portage
> doesn't know anything about this, so the update I received today for
> media-libs/mesa reverted these symlinks back to pointing at mesa libs.
>
> So the questions I have are these:
> 1) Am I reasonable in expecting `eselect opengl` to maintain these
> symlinks? I feel like it's a reasonable expectation, but perhaps there's
> just yet another thing I have to learn / understand.

No, eselect opengl works differently. It uses /etc/env.d to alter
LDPATH and OPENGL_PROFILE environment variables. It also changes
xorg.conf.

So you may need to restart your X server and source /etc/profile in
active shells for changes to take effect.

> 2) Should I be logging a bug (against eselect, or perhaps celestia, since
> this is the only app which seems to have suffered this fate -- games like
> Torchlight 2 and utils like glxgears work just fine; glxinfo reports NVIDIA
> extensions), or is there just something I've fundamentally missed or messed
> up here?

If glxinfo reports correct data and glxgears works fine, then this
may be a bug and please report it. You may CC both celestia and
opengl since right now it is not obvious which is the culprit.

Best regards,
Andrew Savchenko

--
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
If you say that getting the money is the most important thing
You will spend your life completely wasting your time
You will be doing things you don't like doing
In order to go on living
That is, to go on doing things you don't like doing

Which is stupid.

- Alan Watts
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gXTZM_uPMY

Re: libGL symlinks vs `eselect opengl`

Andrew Savchenko
Hi,

Sorry, for delay, but maybe reply will be still useful.

On Wed, 29 Aug 2018 20:20:29 +0200 Davyd McColl wrote:
> Thanks for getting back to me. I'd really like to not make a useless bug
> report, so please bear with me:
>
> 1. Am I correct that I should report here:
> https://bugs.gentoo.org/enter_bug.cgi?product=Gentoo%20Linux

Yes.

> 2. I ask the above because I'm not entirely clear on how to CC opengl and
> celestia at the above url. If that's the right place (and it looks to be
> right), please let me know how to apply the correct CCs such that the right
> people get eyes on this and I'm not spamming the wrong people (:

Assign to celestia, CC opengl. This is not mandatory, since all new
bugs are reviewed by bug wranglers and assigned as appropriate.

Please be sure to provide emerge --info output and how celestia and
opengl are configured on your system, e.g. eix output or emerge -pv
output for corresponding packages.

Best regards,
Andrew Savchenko