livecd-functions.sh and nvidia

Nicolas Raspail
Hi,

I think the pattern to detect an nvidia card is wrong in
livecd-functions.sh :

NVIDIA_CARD=$(echo ${NVIDIA} | awk 'BEGIN {RS=" "} /NV[0-9]+/ {print
$1}' | cut -d. -f1 | sed 's/ //' | sed 's:[^0-9]::g'

Here is the output of lspci on my system :

0000:01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation nv40 [GeForce
6800 Ultra] (rev a1)

The regexp try to math a pattern like NV followed by numbers, but my
card appears as nv40, lowercase, and it isn't detected.

If I modify the line like this

NVIDIA_CARD=$(echo ${NVIDIA} | awk 'BEGIN {RS="
";IGNORECASE="1"} /NV[0-9]+/ {print $1}' | cut -d. -f1 | sed 's/ //' |
sed 's:[^0-9]::g'

the output is 40, which seems to be ok. As I'm not an awk user, perhaps,
my little modification is ugly, and someone has a better one ?

To test my solution, I will write an fsscript that modify the
livecd-functions.sh, rebuild my livecd and test the new iso.

Nicolas

Re: livecd-functions.sh and nvidia

Chris Gianelloni
On Mon, 2005-12-12 at 18:44 +0100, Nicolas Raspail wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I think the pattern to detect an nvidia card is wrong in
> livecd-functions.sh :
>
> NVIDIA_CARD=$(echo ${NVIDIA} | awk 'BEGIN {RS=" "} /NV[0-9]+/ {print
> $1}' | cut -d. -f1 | sed 's/ //' | sed 's:[^0-9]::g'
>
> Here is the output of lspci on my system :
>
> 0000:01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation nv40 [GeForce
> 6800 Ultra] (rev a1)
>
> The regexp try to math a pattern like NV followed by numbers, but my
> card appears as nv40, lowercase, and it isn't detected.
>
> If I modify the line like this
>
> NVIDIA_CARD=$(echo ${NVIDIA} | awk 'BEGIN {RS="
> ";IGNORECASE="1"} /NV[0-9]+/ {print $1}' | cut -d. -f1 | sed 's/ //' |
> sed 's:[^0-9]::g'
>
> the output is 40, which seems to be ok. As I'm not an awk user, perhaps,
> my little modification is ugly, and someone has a better one ?
>
> To test my solution, I will write an fsscript that modify the
> livecd-functions.sh, rebuild my livecd and test the new iso.
Normally, this would be filed as a bug unless you were looking for
discussion on it.  I do have one question for you, where is your pci.ids
coming from on the machine that is showing that for lspci?  All Nvidia
cards should be using capitals.  It very well could be the pci.ids being
shipped with the pciutils ebuild causing the issue.  At any rate, I've
committed a fix to CVS for this, since we should be able to check for
this problem.

--
Chris Gianelloni
Release Engineering - Strategic Lead

Quoting Chris Gianelloni <[hidden email]>:

> On Mon, 2005-12-12 at 18:44 +0100, Nicolas Raspail wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I think the pattern to detect an nvidia card is wrong in
>> livecd-functions.sh :
>>
>> NVIDIA_CARD=$(echo ${NVIDIA} | awk 'BEGIN {RS=" "} /NV[0-9]+/ {print
>> $1}' | cut -d. -f1 | sed 's/ //' | sed 's:[^0-9]::g'
>>
>> Here is the output of lspci on my system :
>>
>> 0000:01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation nv40 [GeForce
>> 6800 Ultra] (rev a1)
>>
>> The regexp try to math a pattern like NV followed by numbers, but my
>> card appears as nv40, lowercase, and it isn't detected.
>>
>> If I modify the line like this
>>
>> NVIDIA_CARD=$(echo ${NVIDIA} | awk 'BEGIN {RS="
>> ";IGNORECASE="1"} /NV[0-9]+/ {print $1}' | cut -d. -f1 | sed 's/ //' |
>> sed 's:[^0-9]::g'
>>
>> the output is 40, which seems to be ok. As I'm not an awk user, perhaps,
>> my little modification is ugly, and someone has a better one ?
>>
>> To test my solution, I will write an fsscript that modify the
>> livecd-functions.sh, rebuild my livecd and test the new iso.
>
> Normally, this would be filed as a bug unless you were looking for
> discussion on it.  I do have one question for you, where is your pci.ids
> coming from on the machine that is showing that for lspci?  All Nvidia
> cards should be using capitals.  It very well could be the pci.ids being
> shipped with the pciutils ebuild causing the issue.  At any rate, I've
> committed a fix to CVS for this, since we should be able to check for
> this problem.
>
> --
> Chris Gianelloni
> Release Engineering - Strategic Lead
> x86 Architecture Team
> Games - Developer
> Gentoo Linux

Hi Chris,

as I don't use gentoo very often (I'm building my livecd on a gentoo in
a vmware running on a Debian), I don't have think to report a bug, and
I don't know which package to fill against. And as I've discovered this
list, I have think it's the right place to discuss about this, and fill
a bug after if needed.

I've run lspci on my running Debian and on my livecd after booting on
it, and in both case, I get lowercase "nv". I have checked the pci.ids
on my debian (pciutils_2.1.11-15.3_i386.deb) and I see "0040  nv40
[GeForce 6800 Ultra]" I just download the last version of pciutils
(2.2.1) from http://www.kernel.org/pub/software/utils/pciutils and I
see "0040  nv40 [GeForce 6800 Ultra]"

So, I think that after all, not all nvidia cards use capitals :)

Nicolas

Re: livecd-functions.sh and nvidia

Mikey-4
On Tuesday 13 December 2005 09:22, Nicolas Raspail spammed:

> I've run lspci on my running Debian and on my livecd after booting on
> it, and in both case, I get lowercase "nv". I have checked the pci.ids
> on my debian (pciutils_2.1.11-15.3_i386.deb) and I see "0040  nv40
> [GeForce 6800 Ultra]" I just download the last version of pciutils
> (2.2.1) from http://www.kernel.org/pub/software/utils/pciutils and I
> see "0040  nv40 [GeForce 6800 Ultra]"
>
> So, I think that after all, not all nvidia cards use capitals :)

Using sys-apps/pciutils-2.2.0-r1:

speedy misc # grep -i nv40 pci.ids
        0040  nv40 [GeForce 6800 Ultra]
        0041  NV40 [GeForce 6800]
        0042  NV40.2 [GeForce 6800 LE]
        0043  NV40.3
        0045  NV40 [GeForce 6800 GT]
        0049  NV40GL
        004e  NV40GL [Quadro FX 4000]
        00f0  NV40 [GeForce 6800/GeForce 6800 Ultra]
        00f9  NV40 [GeForce 6800 Ultra/GeForce 6800 GT]

Quoting Mikey <[hidden email]>:

> On Tuesday 13 December 2005 09:22, Nicolas Raspail spammed:
>
>> I've run lspci on my running Debian and on my livecd after booting on
>> it, and in both case, I get lowercase "nv". I have checked the pci.ids
>> on my debian (pciutils_2.1.11-15.3_i386.deb) and I see "0040  nv40
>> [GeForce 6800 Ultra]" I just download the last version of pciutils
>> (2.2.1) from http://www.kernel.org/pub/software/utils/pciutils and I
>> see "0040  nv40 [GeForce 6800 Ultra]"
>>
>> So, I think that after all, not all nvidia cards use capitals :)
>
> Using sys-apps/pciutils-2.2.0-r1:
>
> speedy misc # grep -i nv40 pci.ids
>        0040  nv40 [GeForce 6800 Ultra]
>        0041  NV40 [GeForce 6800]
>        0042  NV40.2 [GeForce 6800 LE]
>        0043  NV40.3
>        0045  NV40 [GeForce 6800 GT]
>        0049  NV40GL
>        004e  NV40GL [Quadro FX 4000]
>        00f0  NV40 [GeForce 6800/GeForce 6800 Ultra]
>        00f9  NV40 [GeForce 6800 Ultra/GeForce 6800 GT]

So, either there is a mismatch (nv instead of NV) in the pci.ids files
shipped with the pciutils sources, or the geforce 6800 ultra use
lowercase in some case

On Tue, 2005-12-13 at 16:42 +0100, Nicolas Raspail wrote:
> So, either there is a mismatch (nv instead of NV) in the pci.ids files
> shipped with the pciutils sources, or the geforce 6800 ultra use
> lowercase in some case

Why is this crap even a discussion?  Did anyone bother to even *READ* my
response?

--
Chris Gianelloni
Release Engineering - Strategic Lead
x86 Architecture Team
Games - Developer
Gentoo Linux

Re: livecd-functions.sh and nvidia

Nicolas Raspail
Quoting Chris Gianelloni <[hidden email]>:

> On Tue, 2005-12-13 at 16:42 +0100, Nicolas Raspail wrote:
>> So, either there is a mismatch (nv instead of NV) in the pci.ids files
>> shipped with the pciutils sources, or the geforce 6800 ultra use
>> lowercase in some case
>
> Why is this crap even a discussion?  Did anyone bother to even *READ* my
> response?
>
> --
> Chris Gianelloni
> Release Engineering - Strategic Lead
> x86 Architecture Team
> Games - Developer
> Gentoo Linux

and ? I can't understand why you are becoming so aggressive... yes you
have said that it may be the pci.ids shipped with the ebuild and that
you have comitted a fix to the cvs. Ok, fine, thank you very much. But
that forbids us to continue the discussion ?

I have made some apologies for sending an email to this list instead of
filling a bug report, ok, I have made a mistake. But it isn't the end
of the world, stay cool.

Nicolas

Re: livecd-functions.sh and nvidia

Mikey-4
On Tuesday 13 December 2005 09:56, Chris Gianelloni spammed:

> Why is this crap even a discussion?  Did anyone bother to even *READ* my
> response?

I read your response and understood that you fixed it in cvs.

My intention was to be helpful and confirm that the lower case string did in
fact exist in a current pci.ids.  Please accept my apologies if this was
inappropriate, I am new to the list...

On Tue, 2005-12-13 at 11:01 -0600, Mikey wrote:
> On Tuesday 13 December 2005 09:56, Chris Gianelloni spammed:
>
> > Why is this crap even a discussion?  Did anyone bother to even *READ* my
> > response?
>
> I read your response and understood that you fixed it in cvs.

...and?

"All Nvidia cards should be using capitals.  It very well could be the
pci.ids being shipped with the pciutils ebuild causing the issue."

At no point did I say, or even infer that the pci.ids file is not
showing nv40, I just mentioned that it shouldn't.  There really wasn't a
point for continuing to point out examples, which was my reasoning
behind asking if anyone actually read my response.  Since everyone
seemed to focus on my committing a fix for the "bug" into CVS, it is
apparent that nobody did read it very well.

Again, this really isn't the place, as such things belong in a bug
report.  However, there's no need for a report since it has already been
resolved.  I apologize for being short, I just hate having to repeat
myself when this "conversation" is completely superfluous had attention
been paid to what I originally responded.

--
Chris Gianelloni
Release Engineering - Strategic Lead
x86 Architecture Team
Games - Developer
Gentoo Linux

Re: livecd-functions.sh and nvidia

Mikey-4
On Tuesday 13 December 2005 12:42, Chris Gianelloni spammed:

> Again, this really isn't the place, as such things belong in a bug
> report.  However, there's no need for a report since it has already been
> resolved.  I apologize for being short, I just hate having to repeat
> myself when this "conversation" is completely superfluous had attention
> been paid to what I originally responded.

Allrighty then.

I have another topic.

I have used catalyst-2.0_rc8 to create stage2/stage3 tarballs, originally
using stage1-x86-2005.r-r1.tar.bz2 as the seed.  When I attempt to create a
stage1 from the resulting stage3, the glibc build bombs when looking for
the linux headers.  I noticed that linux headers are not present in the
stage1root.  Is this a bug, expected, a probable error on my part?

On Tue, 2005-12-13 at 13:42 -0500, Chris Gianelloni wrote:

> On Tue, 2005-12-13 at 11:01 -0600, Mikey wrote:
> > On Tuesday 13 December 2005 09:56, Chris Gianelloni spammed:
> >
> > > Why is this crap even a discussion?  Did anyone bother to even *READ* my
> > > response?
> >
> > I read your response and understood that you fixed it in cvs.
>
> ...and?
>
> "All Nvidia cards should be using capitals.  It very well could be the
> pci.ids being shipped with the pciutils ebuild causing the issue."
>
> At no point did I say, or even infer that the pci.ids file is not
> showing nv40, I just mentioned that it shouldn't.  There really wasn't a
> point for continuing to point out examples, which was my reasoning
> behind asking if anyone actually read my response.  Since everyone
> seemed to focus on my committing a fix for the "bug" into CVS, it is
> apparent that nobody did read it very well.
>
> Again, this really isn't the place, as such things belong in a bug
> report.  However, there's no need for a report since it has already been
> resolved.  I apologize for being short, I just hate having to repeat
> myself when this "conversation" is completely superfluous had attention
> been paid to what I originally responded.

ok, sorry for all :) I have made a Debian bug report against pciutils
and maybe it will be forwarded upstream

Thanks

On Tue, 2005-12-13 at 20:08 +0100, Nicolas Raspail wrote:

> On Tue, 2005-12-13 at 13:42 -0500, Chris Gianelloni wrote:
> > On Tue, 2005-12-13 at 11:01 -0600, Mikey wrote:
> > > On Tuesday 13 December 2005 09:56, Chris Gianelloni spammed:

> > > I read your response and understood that you fixed it in cvs.
> >
> > ...and?
> >
> > "All Nvidia cards should be using capitals.  It very well could be the
> > pci.ids being shipped with the pciutils ebuild causing the issue."
> >
> > At no point did I say, or even infer that the pci.ids file is not
> > showing nv40, I just mentioned that it shouldn't.  There really wasn't a
> > point for continuing to point out examples, which was my reasoning
> > behind asking if anyone actually read my response.  Since everyone
> > seemed to focus on my committing a fix for the "bug" into CVS, it is
> > apparent that nobody did read it very well.
> >
> > Again, this really isn't the place, as such things belong in a bug
> > report.  However, there's no need for a report since it has already been
> > resolved.  I apologize for being short, I just hate having to repeat
> > myself when this "conversation" is completely superfluous had attention
> > been paid to what I originally responded.
> >

> ok, sorry for all :) I have made a Debian bug report against pciutils
> and maybe it will be forwarded upstream
Well, pciutils isn't the actual source of pci.ids, it is just usually
packaged with it.  I added an updated entry at pciids.sourceforge.net
and hope it gets accepted.  This should resolve the issue for everyone
in the future.