-mabi=altivec in CFLAGS

Konstantin Tokarev
Hi all,

AFAIK, some packages (e.g., dev-cpp/eigen) can use AltiVec vectorization
only when -mabi=altivec is specified in GCC flags.

Is it safe to use -mabi=altivec in global CFLAGS in make.conf?
Does anybody know if the system will perform better or worse in average?

Konstantin

Re: -mabi=altivec in CFLAGS

Wolfram Kahl
On Thu, Dec 02, 2010 at 05:50:38PM +0300, Konstantin Tokarev wrote:
> AFAIK, some packages (e.g., dev-cpp/eigen) can use AltiVec vectorization
> only when -mabi=altivec is specified in GCC flags.
>
> Is it safe to use -mabi=altivec in global CFLAGS in make.conf?

I've had that ever since I startd using PowerPC,
without any problems I that I would consider attributing to that.

> Does anybody know if the system will perform better or worse in average?

I did not do any comparisons.

Wolfram