mounts options on a laptop

Stephane Guedon
I have a laptop, it works quite good, but I would like to improve battery
length.

The fact is that, out of the classical options (kernel custom, KDE battery
management...), there's no information about disk mount options, whereas it
eat a lot of power.

my current mount :

rootfs on / type rootfs (rw)
/dev/root on / type ext3 (rw,commit=0)
/dev/shm on /tmp type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev)
/dev/sda7 on /var type reiserfs (rw)
/dev/sda8 on /media/musique type vfat (rw,uid=0,gid=18,umask=007)
/dev/sda2 on /windows type fuseblk (rw,nosuid,nodev,allow_other,blksize=4096)
/dev/sda6 on /home type ext4 (rw,user_xattr,commit=0)

and sda5 as swap.

how to make it better ? (I know reiserfs is not a good idea, but at the moment
of building the system, it seamed good for little files/DB...)

I have read of mounting part of /var as tmpfs... ?

--
Stéphane Guedon
page web : http://www.22decembre.eu/

Re: mounts options on a laptop

Ken Hage
<snip>
> how to make it better ? (I know reiserfs is not a good idea, but at the moment
> of building the system, it seamed good for little files/DB...)
>
> I have read of mounting part of /var as tmpfs... ?

<snip>

Yes, I use tmpfs on /vat/tmp/portage to reduce the disk i/o on my laptop.
Here is the line I use in the /etc/fstab:

none       /var/tmp/portage       tmpfs       nr_inodes=1M,size=2G     0 0

This will allow the directory  /var/tmp/portage to use at most 2GB of
memory (I have 4GB).
It is enough to compile most of the packages in portage.

On Saturday 05 March 2011 12:47:39 Kent Hagebrand wrote:
> Yes, I use tmpfs on /vat/tmp/portage to reduce the disk i/o on my laptop.
> Here is the line I use in the /etc/fstab:
>
> none       /var/tmp/portage       tmpfs       nr_inodes=1M,size=2G     0 0
>
> This will allow the directory  /var/tmp/portage to use at most 2GB of
> memory (I have 4GB).
> It is enough to compile most of the packages in portage.

I compile in /tmp which is tmpfs, and I was thinking of /var/run as tmpfs

On Saturday 05 March 2011 12:29:19 Florian Philipp wrote:

> /var as tmpfs is not a good idea. There are lots of persistent files in
> there. If you want to be standard-conformant, you cannot even mount
> /var/tmp as tmpfs because its content is also meant to survive reboots.
> You can still do it though and mounting /tmp as tmpfs is completely okay.
>
> Your choice of filesystem has little or no effect. You could proably
> argue that JFS needs less CPU resources than for example ReiserFS but
> that really doesn't matter.
>
> What you really want is app-laptop/laptop-mode-tools.
>
> Hope this helps,
> Florian Philipp
with reiserfs, the disk is said to run all over the time !

--
Stéphane Guedon
page web : http://www.22decembre.eu/
carte de visite : http://www.22decembre.eu/downloads/Stephane-Guedon.vcf
clé publique gpg : http://www.22decembre.eu/downloads/Stephane-Guedon.asc

Re: mounts options on a laptop

Pavel Říha
Stéphane Guedon napsal(a):

> On Saturday 05 March 2011 12:29:19 Florian Philipp wrote:
>> /var as tmpfs is not a good idea. There are lots of persistent files in
>> there. If you want to be standard-conformant, you cannot even mount
>> /var/tmp as tmpfs because its content is also meant to survive reboots.
>> You can still do it though and mounting /tmp as tmpfs is completely okay.
>>
>> Your choice of filesystem has little or no effect. You could proably
>> argue that JFS needs less CPU resources than for example ReiserFS but
>> that really doesn't matter.
>>
>> What you really want is app-laptop/laptop-mode-tools.
>>
>> Hope this helps,
>> Florian Philipp
>
> with reiserfs, the disk is said to run all over the time !

bullshit. Florian is right.
really doesn't (much) matter witch FS you use.

I'm using only reiserfs and on backup disks I set hdparm -S .. and the disks are
sleeping whole day

Pavel
--
V očích milující ženy je i hlupák filozofem.
                -- Anton Pavlovič Čechov

Unsubscribe

korzec
Unsubscribe

I have unsubscribed long ago but it seems I got resubscribed some time ago. No idea why.