no file system found for kernel 4.14.78

William Kenworthy
Kernel 4.14.78 has been released and I have a fail upgrading one system
- fails to mount root vfs but oops instead of dropping to a recovery shell:

Same boot stanza as 4.14.65, one unrelated (RCU) difference between .configs

Has anyone else had this problem upgrading? - its difficult to FF as the
oops scrolls off the top of the screen and there are no logs.

BillK

Re: no file system found for kernel 4.14.78

Peter Humphrey-3
On Saturday, 3 November 2018 13:32:43 GMT Bill Kenworthy wrote:
> Kernel 4.14.78 has been released and I have a fail upgrading one system
> - fails to mount root vfs but oops instead of dropping to a recovery shell:
>
> Same boot stanza as 4.14.65, one unrelated (RCU) difference between .configs
>
> Has anyone else had this problem upgrading? - its difficult to FF as the
> oops scrolls off the top of the screen and there are no logs.

Have you tried pausing the console output while it's scrolling? <CTL>s to
pause, <CTL>q to resume.

Peter.

Re: no file system found for kernel 4.14.78

Nikos Chantziaras-2
On 03/11/2018 15:32, Bill Kenworthy wrote:
> Kernel 4.14.78 has been released and I have a fail upgrading one system
> - fails to mount root vfs but oops instead of dropping to a recovery shell:
>
> Same boot stanza as 4.14.65, one unrelated (RCU) difference between .configs

Try manually specifying the root fs and the fs type in the kernel
arguments. Here, I use:

   root=PARTUUID=the-partition-uuid-of-the-root-fs ro rootfstype=ext4

You can see the UUIDs of your partitions with:

   ls -l /dev/disk/by-partuuid

I always had to do that here, otherwise I just get the same boot error
as you.

On 04/11/18 00:46, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:

> On 03/11/2018 15:32, Bill Kenworthy wrote:
>> Kernel 4.14.78 has been released and I have a fail upgrading one system
>> - fails to mount root vfs but oops instead of dropping to a recovery
>> shell:
>>
>> Same boot stanza as 4.14.65, one unrelated (RCU) difference between
>> .configs
>
> Try manually specifying the root fs and the fs type in the kernel
> arguments. Here, I use:
>
>   root=PARTUUID=the-partition-uuid-of-the-root-fs ro rootfstype=ext4
>
> You can see the UUIDs of your partitions with:
>
>   ls -l /dev/disk/by-partuuid
>
> I always had to do that here, otherwise I just get the same boot error
> as you.

Thanks, found that the initrd is missing - cant include modules failure
from genkernel I missed.  Tracking down why now.

Thanks,

BillK