ntp-daemons

Stefan G. Weichinger-3

I always used net-misc/ntp for syncing time.

Now I found net-misc/chrony and set it up .... looks good so far.

Any opinions and experiences on the various ways of getting THE TIME?

Stefan

Re: ntp-daemons

Nilesh Govindrajan
On Wednesday 03 April 2013 05:06:00 AM IST, Stefan G. Weichinger wrote:

> I always used net-misc/ntp for syncing time.
>
> Now I found net-misc/chrony and set it up .... looks good so far.
>
> Any opinions and experiences on the various ways of getting THE TIME?
>
> Stefan

I use busybox :D

Re: ntp-daemons

Stefan G. Weichinger-3
Am 03.04.2013 10:28, schrieb Nilesh Govindrajan:

> On Wednesday 03 April 2013 05:06:00 AM IST, Stefan G. Weichinger wrote:
>>
>> I always used net-misc/ntp for syncing time.
>>
>> Now I found net-misc/chrony and set it up .... looks good so far.
>>
>> Any opinions and experiences on the various ways of getting THE TIME?
>>
>> Stefan
>>

> I use busybox :D

Interesting ;-)

Switched to chrony on 4 machines already and like it ...

Re: ntp-daemons

Marc Stuermer
Am 03.04.2013 01:36, schrieb Stefan G. Weichinger:

> I always used net-misc/ntp for syncing time.
>
> Now I found net-misc/chrony and set it up .... looks good so far.
>
> Any opinions and experiences on the various ways of getting THE TIME?

Just two different hammers for the same nail. Another alternative is
OpenNTPD btw, http://www.openntpd.org/

Re: ntp-daemons

Stefan G. Weichinger-3
Am 03.04.2013 12:21, schrieb Marc Stürmer:

> Just two different hammers for the same nail.

Sure. I just like the quicker syncing/adjusting of chrony.

> Another alternative is
> OpenNTPD btw, http://www.openntpd.org/

I will have a look as well ;-)

Thanks, Stefan

Re: ntp-daemons

Mick-10
On Wednesday 03 Apr 2013 11:38:56 Stefan G. Weichinger wrote:

> Am 03.04.2013 12:21, schrieb Marc Stürmer:
> > Just two different hammers for the same nail.
>
> Sure. I just like the quicker syncing/adjusting of chrony.
>
> > Another alternative is
> > OpenNTPD btw, http://www.openntpd.org/
>
> I will have a look as well ;-)
>
> Thanks, Stefan
I use chrony on a box of mine and found that it is listening for connections
on UDP 123 - I assume it is running as a server.  I didn't find a way of
switching this off though.

Mick

Re: ntp-daemons

Peter Humphrey-2

On Wednesday 03 April 2013 00:36:00 Stefan G. Weichinger wrote:

> I always used net-misc/ntp for syncing time.

> Now I found net-misc/chrony and set it up .... looks good so far.

> Any opinions and experiences on the various ways of getting THE TIME?

I've been using chrony for years now. It always seems smooth and simple to me - apart from a silly log message that's emitted any time it goes for a time source it hasn't seen before. Instead of saying it's created a new log file for it, it says it's failed to open the log file. And then it just creates it anyway.

Ho hum...

--

Peter

Re: ntp-daemons

Mick-10
On Wednesday 03 Apr 2013 16:41:14 Peter Humphrey wrote:

> On Wednesday 03 April 2013 00:36:00 Stefan G. Weichinger wrote:
> > I always used net-misc/ntp for syncing time.
> >
> > Now I found net-misc/chrony and set it up .... looks good so far.
> >
> > Any opinions and experiences on the various ways of getting THE TIME?
>
> I've been using chrony for years now. It always seems smooth and simple to
> me - apart from a silly log message that's emitted any time it goes for a
> time source it hasn't seen before. Instead of saying it's created a new log
> file for it, it says it's failed to open the log file. And then it just
> creates it anyway.
>
> Ho hum...
Yes, I noticed the same here.

Do you have chronyc set up to signal off/online status to chronyd?  If so,
where do you run it from?

Mick

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment

Re: ntp-daemons

Peter Humphrey-2

[Sorry if this not entirely coherent: it's growing late here.]

On Wednesday 03 April 2013 22:45:11 Mick wrote:

> Do you have chronyc set up to signal off/online status to chronyd? If

> so, where do you run it from?

No, I don't need to bother with manual control: it just works for me. I did play with chronyc years ago but I soon got bored.

I have chronyd running on my LAN server, getting its time from several hosts Out There, then internal hosts get their time from the LAN server. All very straightforward. Any time errors just ramp themselves steadily down to zero. I can show you my config files if you like.

In those old 486/586 days the author used to publish a new version for each new generation of CPU, but I haven't seen that since x86_64 came on the scene. I suppose he must have found another way of calibrating his object code's execution time. Whatever the case, I'm happy that gkrellm etc. show the time to at least the nearest half-second relative to BBC time signals.

I started using chrony in those old dial-up days because it can handle slow links. Also intermittent ones, by which I mean systems that shut down for some of the day, or that dual-boot with Windross,. I haven't felt a need to change since then. At that time ntpd was at a disadvantage IIRC. You might say that chrony is designed for desktop boxes rather than the servers that ntpd likes, though the edges are pretty blurred.

--

Yours, happy camper of Tideswell,

Peter