perl 5.10

Adam Prime
Are there any instructions around about how to install 5.10.0 from
perl-experimental without catalyst etc etc?  I guess there isn't really
any harm in installing catalyst, and all it's dependencies (other than
time), but I was till wondering.

Thanks,

Adam

Re: perl 5.10

Kent Fredric
On Fri, Apr 3, 2009 at 5:06 PM, Adam Prime <[hidden email]> wrote:
Are there any instructions around about how to install 5.10.0 from
perl-experimental without catalyst etc etc?  I guess there isn't really
any harm in installing catalyst, and all it's dependencies (other than
time), but I was till wondering.

Thanks,

Adam

I'm confused, how does installing catalyst have anything on Perl 5.10 dependencies.

They may all be in the same overlay, but dependency tracking still works as normal.

I don't myself *see* anything that would cause installation of Perl 5.10 to *require* the installation of Catalyst .

If it is telling you that you need to install catalyst, then you'll probably want to reply with a paste of the dependency tree how your machine resolves it, because that's rather unusual.

--
Kent

perl -e  "print substr( \"edrgmaM  SPA NOcomil.ic\\@tfrken\", \$_ * 3, 3 ) for ( 9,8,0,7,1,6,5,4,3,2 );

http://kent-fredric.fox.geek.nz

Re: perl 5.10

Adam Prime
Kent Fredric wrote:

> I'm confused, how does installing catalyst have anything on Perl 5.10
> dependencies.
>
> They may all be in the same overlay, but dependency tracking still works
> as normal.
>
> I don't myself *see* anything that would cause installation of Perl 5.10
> to *require* the installation of Catalyst .
>
> If it is telling you that you need to install catalyst, then you'll
> probably want to reply with a paste of the dependency tree how your
> machine resolves it, because that's rather unusual.

Perhaps this has more to do with my lack of understanding of how
overlays work more than anything else.  Based on what you've said I
should just be able to unmask perl 5.10, and emerge perl and that should
work just install base perl, and perhaps all the modules i had installed
for 5.8.8 (that exist in portage anyway)?

I was looking at instructions in a wiki somewhere, which i of course
can't find now. (not the one linked from the thread about catalyst in
the forums).  For some reason that article made me think using the
overlay was an all or nothing deal.

Thanks,

Adam

Re: perl 5.10

Kent Fredric
On Sat, Apr 4, 2009 at 3:01 AM, Adam Prime <[hidden email]> wrote:
Perhaps this has more to do with my lack of understanding of how overlays work more than anything else.  Based on what you've said I should just be able to unmask perl 5.10, and emerge perl and that should work just install base perl, and perhaps all the modules i had installed for 5.8.8 (that exist in portage anyway)?

Overlays are just like supplementary repositories of ebuilds, they can be used in conjunction and compliment each other, in an "additive" way.

Things in one overlay can depend on things in another overlay/repository, ie: stuff in the Perl overlay largely depend on stuff in the main Gentoo repository.

If you install the Perl overlay, and then unmask Perl-5.10 and its dependencies, ( there are about 5 p-depends[1] that get installed after it iirc ) , it will install only what is nessecary to get the perl-5.10 core going.

You may also want to manually mask out 5.8 family because theres a bit of a headache with some dependency resolution algorithms in some older version of portage.

Note that once you upgrade your dev-lang/perl to 5.10, the other stuff all over your system that use Perl won't really know about the change, and will expect 5.8 stuff in most places until  you upgrade *everything* perlish, ( its not automatic ). I believe there is a perl-updater script for this task, but I've not used it, I just emerged a clean system afterwards.

I was looking at instructions in a wiki somewhere, which i of course can't find now. (not the one linked from the thread about catalyst in the forums).  For some reason that article made me think using the overlay was an all or nothing deal.

If you can find that article so it can be corrected and marked as rubbish that'd be great :)

Thanks,

Adam

[1]: PDepends are things that are a) needed by a package but b) also need that package, but are only c) runtime requirements so they can be installed afterwards.

a depends c
c pdepends a

c needs 'a' to run, but doesn't need it to build.
a needs 'c' to run and to build.
c can run without 'a' present for the task of producing 'a'.
so install order is
c , a

--
Kent

perl -e  "print substr( \"edrgmaM  SPA NOcomil.ic\\@tfrken\", \$_ * 3, 3 ) for ( 9,8,0,7,1,6,5,4,3,2 );

http://kent-fredric.fox.geek.nz

Re: perl 5.10

Sergiy Borodych
On 04/03/2009 07:32 PM, Kent Fredric wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 4, 2009 at 3:01 AM, Adam Prime <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
skip...

> Note that once you upgrade your dev-lang/perl to 5.10, the other stuff
> all over your system that use Perl won't really know about the change,
> and will expect 5.8 stuff in most places until  you upgrade *everything*
> perlish, ( its not automatic ). I believe there is a perl-updater script
> for this task, but I've not used it, I just emerged a clean system
> afterwards.

perl-cleaner

--
Sergiy Borodych