portage bug?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
11 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

portage bug?

Daniel Iliev-2

Hi,


Would anybody, please, confirm the following behavior before I file a
report with B.G.O?


 % emerge -C dev-perl/yaml

 % emerge --depclean -p

[-snip-]

Calculating dependencies... done!
 * Dependencies could not be completely resolved due to
 * the following required packages not being installed:
 *
 *   dev-perl/yaml pulled in by:
 *     perl-core/Module-Build-0.28.08
 *
 * Have you forgotten to run `emerge --update --newuse --deep world`
   prior
 * to depclean? It may be necessary to manually uninstall packages that
   no longer
 * exist in the portage tree since it may not be possible to satisfy
   their
 * dependencies.  Also, be aware of the --with-bdeps option that is
   documented
 * in `man emerge`.




 % emerge --update --newuse --deep world
Calculating dependencies... done!
>>> Auto-cleaning packages...

>>> No outdated packages were found on your system.


--
Best regards,
Daniel

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: portage bug?

Daniel Pielmeier
Daniel Iliev schrieb am 18.05.2009 00:16:

> Hi,
>
>
> Would anybody, please, confirm the following behavior before I file a
> report with B.G.O?
>
>
>  % emerge -C dev-perl/yaml
>
>  % emerge --depclean -p
>
> [-snip-]
>
> Calculating dependencies... done!
>  * Dependencies could not be completely resolved due to
>  * the following required packages not being installed:
>  *
>  *   dev-perl/yaml pulled in by:
>  *     perl-core/Module-Build-0.28.08
>  *
>  * Have you forgotten to run `emerge --update --newuse --deep world`
>    prior
>  * to depclean? It may be necessary to manually uninstall packages that
>    no longer
>  * exist in the portage tree since it may not be possible to satisfy
>    their
>  * dependencies.  Also, be aware of the --with-bdeps option that is
>    documented
>  * in `man emerge`.
>
>
>
>
>  % emerge --update --newuse --deep world
> Calculating dependencies... done!
>>>> Auto-cleaning packages...
>
>>>> No outdated packages were found on your system.
>
>
What is the problem with this behavior. You unmerge yaml but it is
needed by Module-Build. What do you expect --depclean to do? If you run
"emerge --update --newuse --deep world" yaml would be pulled in again as
it is needed by Module-Build. --depclean only removes packages that have
now reverse dependencies which is not the case here.

--
Daniel Pielmeier


signature.asc (269 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: portage bug?

Jason Weisberger

From what I see, update newuse deep world is NOT pulling it back in.  That's the bug.

On May 17, 2009 6:26 PM, "Daniel Pielmeier" <[hidden email]> wrote:

Daniel Iliev schrieb am 18.05.2009 00:16:

> Hi, > > > Would anybody, please, confirm the following behavior before I file a > report with B....

What is the problem with this behavior. You unmerge yaml but it is
needed by Module-Build. What do you expect --depclean to do? If you run
"emerge --update --newuse --deep world" yaml would be pulled in again as
it is needed by Module-Build. --depclean only removes packages that have
now reverse dependencies which is not the case here.

--
Daniel Pielmeier

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: portage bug?

Peter Alfredsen-3
In reply to this post by Daniel Iliev-2
On Mon, 18 May 2009 01:16:24 +0300
Daniel Iliev <[hidden email]> wrote:

>
> Hi,
>
>
> Would anybody, please, confirm the following behavior before I file a
> report with B.G.O?
>
>
>  % emerge -C dev-perl/yaml
[...]
>  % emerge --update --newuse --deep world
> Calculating dependencies... done!
> >>> Auto-cleaning packages...
>
> >>> No outdated packages were found on your system.

Try to add --with-bdeps=y and I think you'll find the expected
behavior.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: portage bug?

Nick Fortino
In reply to this post by Daniel Iliev-2
Daniel Iliev wrote:

> Hi,
>
>
> Would anybody, please, confirm the following behavior before I file a
> report with B.G.O?
>
>
>  % emerge -C dev-perl/yaml
>
>  % emerge --depclean -p
>
> [-snip-]
>
> Calculating dependencies... done!
>  * Dependencies could not be completely resolved due to
>  * the following required packages not being installed:
>  *
>  *   dev-perl/yaml pulled in by:
>  *     perl-core/Module-Build-0.28.08
>  *
>  * Have you forgotten to run `emerge --update --newuse --deep world`
>    prior
>  * to depclean? It may be necessary to manually uninstall packages that
>    no longer
>  * exist in the portage tree since it may not be possible to satisfy
>    their
>  * dependencies.  Also, be aware of the --with-bdeps option that is
>    documented
>  * in `man emerge`.
>
>
>
>
>  % emerge --update --newuse --deep world
> Calculating dependencies... done!
>  
>>>> Auto-cleaning packages...
>>>>        
>
>  
>>>> No outdated packages were found on your system.
>>>>        
>
>
>  
It's not a bug, it's counterintuitive expected behavior. The pointer to
the answer is buried in the error message: "Also, be aware of the
--with-bdeps option that is  documented in `man emerge`"

In summary, dev-perl/yaml is a build dependency of Module-Build, and
therefore not strictly required. By default, to be safe, depclean
expects it to be there. Since Module-Build is already installed,
however, by default emerge won't pull it in, because it shouldn't be
necessary. Hence, the behavior you observe.

You can file a bug if you wish, but make sure to do a full search, as
there are misunderstandings of depclean all over b.g.o.

Nick

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: portage bug?

Daniel Pielmeier
In reply to this post by Jason Weisberger
Jason Weisberger schrieb am 18.05.2009 00:30:
> From what I see, update newuse deep world is NOT pulling it back in.  That's
> the bug.

Okay i should read more carefully. Tried the --with-bdeps option?


--
Daniel Pielmeier


signature.asc (269 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: portage bug?

Daniel Iliev-2
In reply to this post by Jason Weisberger
On Sun, 17 May 2009 18:30:47 -0400
Jason Weisberger <[hidden email]> wrote:

> From what I see, update newuse deep world is NOT pulling it back in.
> That's the bug.
>

Exactly.


--
Best regards,
Daniel

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [solved] portage bug?

Daniel Iliev-2
In reply to this post by Peter Alfredsen-3
On Mon, 18 May 2009 00:36:56 +0200
Peter Alfredsen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, 18 May 2009 01:16:24 +0300
> Daniel Iliev <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> >
> > Would anybody, please, confirm the following behavior before I file
> > a report with B.G.O?
> >
> >
> >  % emerge -C dev-perl/yaml
> [...]
> >  % emerge --update --newuse --deep world
> > Calculating dependencies... done!
> > >>> Auto-cleaning packages...
> >
> > >>> No outdated packages were found on your system.
>
> Try to add --with-bdeps=y and I think you'll find the expected
> behavior.
>
>

Yes, that's it. Strange, I was under the impression that bdeps was "yes"
by default.

Thanks, guys, and sorry for the noise.

--
Best regards,
Daniel

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [solved] portage bug?

Dale-46
Daniel Iliev wrote:

> On Mon, 18 May 2009 00:36:56 +0200
> Peter Alfredsen <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>  
>> On Mon, 18 May 2009 01:16:24 +0300
>> Daniel Iliev <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>    
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>>
>>> Would anybody, please, confirm the following behavior before I file
>>> a report with B.G.O?
>>>
>>>
>>>  % emerge -C dev-perl/yaml
>>>      
>> [...]
>>    
>>>  % emerge --update --newuse --deep world
>>> Calculating dependencies... done!
>>>      
>>>>>> Auto-cleaning packages...
>>>>>>            
>>>>>> No outdated packages were found on your system.
>>>>>>            
>> Try to add --with-bdeps=y and I think you'll find the expected
>> behavior.
>>
>>
>>    
>
> Yes, that's it. Strange, I was under the impression that bdeps was "yes"
> by default.
>
> Thanks, guys, and sorry for the noise.
>
>  

It is if you add it to make.conf.  I added the line to mine a long time
ago.  Something like this:

# EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS allows emerge to act as if certain options are
#     specified on every run. Useful options include --ask, --verbose,
#     --usepkg and many others. Options that are not useful, such as --help,
#     are not filtered.
EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--with-bdeps y"

Hope that saves you some typing.

Dale

:-)  :-)

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [SOLVED] portage bug?

Daniel Iliev-2
In reply to this post by Daniel Iliev-2

My mistake, not a bug. I'm glad I asked here before wasting devs'
time with invalid reports. Thanks, guys! :)

--
Best regards,
Daniel

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [solved] portage bug?

Neil Bothwick
In reply to this post by Daniel Iliev-2
On Mon, 18 May 2009 01:49:54 +0300, Daniel Iliev wrote:

> Yes, that's it. Strange, I was under the impression that bdeps was "yes"
> by default.


Only when using --depclean.


--
Neil Bothwick

To boldly go where I surely don't belong.

signature.asc (205 bytes) Download Attachment