problems with depclean

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
26 messages Options
12
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: problems with depclean

John Covici
On Wed, 16 Oct 2019 03:33:29 -0400,
Neil Bothwick wrote:

>
> [1  <text/plain; US-ASCII (quoted-printable)>]
> On Tue, 15 Oct 2019 19:41:14 -0400, John Covici wrote:
>
> > Thanks much.  Now, what about depclean deleting packages where I have
> > the name in my world file, but no version numbers or anything, it
> > seems to want to delete what it maybe thinks are older versions even
> > if the "older" version is the only one installed?
>
> Can you post an example output from emerge, the eix entry from that
> package and the entry in @world?
In the case I see before me, depclean wants to unmerge
dev-util/glib-utils  -- its not in my world file, but if I do
qdepends dev-util/glib-utils I get
dev-util/glib-utils-2.58.3: dev-libs/libxslt app-arch/xz-utils
>=dev-lang/python-exec-2:2/2=[python_targets_python3_6(+),-python_single_target_jython2_7(+),-python_single_target_pypy(+),-python_single_target_pypy3(+),-python_single_target_python2_7(+),python_single_target_python3_6(+)]
> !<dev-libs/glib-2.56.2:2 dev-lang/python:3.6
> app-text/docbook-xsl-stylesheets

but if I do eix of that it says:
[U] dev-util/glib-utils
     Available versions:  2.58.3{tbz2} 2.60.6 (~)2.60.7
        {PYTHON_SINGLE_TARGET="python3_5 python3_6 python3_7"
        PYTHON_TARGETS="python3_5 python3_6 python3_7"}
             Installed versions:  2.58.3{tbz2}(08:28:38 AM
                05/10/2019)(PYTHON_SINGLE_TARGET="python3_6 -python3_5
                -python3_7" PYTHON_TARGETS="python3_6 -python3_5
                -python3_7")
                     Homepage:            https://www.gtk.org/
                             Description:         Build utilities for GLib
                                using projects
                                But if I do
                                script -c "emerge  --update --deep --with-bdeps=y
                                --changed-use --backtrack=500      --keep-going
                                world"       /usr/src/world_update.txt

It says 0 packages and stops.

--
Your life is like a penny.  You're going to lose it.  The question is:
How do
you spend it?

         John Covici wb2una
         [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: problems with depclean

Neil Bothwick
On Wed, 16 Oct 2019 21:28:18 -0400, John Covici wrote:

> > Can you post an example output from emerge, the eix entry from that
> > package and the entry in @world?  
> In the case I see before me, depclean wants to unmerge
> dev-util/glib-utils  -- its not in my world file, but if I do
> qdepends dev-util/glib-utils I get
> dev-util/glib-utils-2.58.3: dev-libs/libxslt app-arch/xz-utils
> >=dev-lang/python-exec-2:2/2=[python_targets_python3_6(+),-python_single_target_jython2_7(+),-python_single_target_pypy(+),-python_single_target_pypy3(+),-python_single_target_python2_7(+),python_single_target_python3_6(+)]
> > !<dev-libs/glib-2.56.2:2 dev-lang/python:3.6
> > app-text/docbook-xsl-stylesheets  

That is odd, I use emerge -cpv rather than qdepends and it shows many
reverse dependencies.
 
> but if I do eix of that it says:
> [U] dev-util/glib-utils
>      Available versions:  2.58.3{tbz2} 2.60.6 (~)2.60.7
> {PYTHON_SINGLE_TARGET="python3_5 python3_6 python3_7"
> PYTHON_TARGETS="python3_5 python3_6 python3_7"}
>     Installed versions:  2.58.3{tbz2}(08:28:38 AM
> 05/10/2019)(PYTHON_SINGLE_TARGET="python3_6 -python3_5
> -python3_7" PYTHON_TARGETS="python3_6 -python3_5
> -python3_7")

It may not be relevant, but you don't have the latest version installed
and it is recommended to run depclean after a full world update.

> But if I do
> script -c "emerge  --update --deep
> --with-bdeps=y --changed-use --backtrack=500      --keep-going
> world"       /usr/src/world_update.txt
>
> It says 0 packages and stops.

So it's odd to see that portage considers your system up to date.
Although this is consistent with portage considering glib-utils to be
unnecessary. Does

grep -r glib-utils /etc/portage

show anything. Is the package listed in the output from emerge -ep @world?


--
Neil Bothwick

Engineers do it with less resistance.

attachment0 (849 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: problems with depclean

John Covici
On Thu, 17 Oct 2019 03:23:07 -0400,
Neil Bothwick wrote:

>
> [1  <text/plain; US-ASCII (quoted-printable)>]
> On Wed, 16 Oct 2019 21:28:18 -0400, John Covici wrote:
>
> > > Can you post an example output from emerge, the eix entry from that
> > > package and the entry in @world?  
> > In the case I see before me, depclean wants to unmerge
> > dev-util/glib-utils  -- its not in my world file, but if I do
> > qdepends dev-util/glib-utils I get
> > dev-util/glib-utils-2.58.3: dev-libs/libxslt app-arch/xz-utils
> > >=dev-lang/python-exec-2:2/2=[python_targets_python3_6(+),-python_single_target_jython2_7(+),-python_single_target_pypy(+),-python_single_target_pypy3(+),-python_single_target_python2_7(+),python_single_target_python3_6(+)]
> > > !<dev-libs/glib-2.56.2:2 dev-lang/python:3.6
> > > app-text/docbook-xsl-stylesheets  
>
> That is odd, I use emerge -cpv rather than qdepends and it shows many
> reverse dependencies.
>  
> > but if I do eix of that it says:
> > [U] dev-util/glib-utils
> >      Available versions:  2.58.3{tbz2} 2.60.6 (~)2.60.7
> > {PYTHON_SINGLE_TARGET="python3_5 python3_6 python3_7"
> > PYTHON_TARGETS="python3_5 python3_6 python3_7"}
> >     Installed versions:  2.58.3{tbz2}(08:28:38 AM
> > 05/10/2019)(PYTHON_SINGLE_TARGET="python3_6 -python3_5
> > -python3_7" PYTHON_TARGETS="python3_6 -python3_5
> > -python3_7")
>
> It may not be relevant, but you don't have the latest version installed
> and it is recommended to run depclean after a full world update.
>
> > But if I do
> > script -c "emerge  --update --deep
> > --with-bdeps=y --changed-use --backtrack=500      --keep-going
> > world"       /usr/src/world_update.txt
> >
> > It says 0 packages and stops.
>
> So it's odd to see that portage considers your system up to date.
> Although this is consistent with portage considering glib-utils to be
> unnecessary. Does
>
> grep -r glib-utils /etc/portage
>
> show anything. Is the package listed in the output from emerge -ep @world?

No output from the grep or emerge -ep @world for that package.

--
Your life is like a penny.  You're going to lose it.  The question is:
How do
you spend it?

         John Covici wb2una
         [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: problems with depclean

Dale-46
John Covici wrote:

> On Thu, 17 Oct 2019 03:23:07 -0400,
> Neil Bothwick wrote:
>> [1  <text/plain; US-ASCII (quoted-printable)>]
>> On Wed, 16 Oct 2019 21:28:18 -0400, John Covici wrote:
>>
>>>> Can you post an example output from emerge, the eix entry from that
>>>> package and the entry in @world?  
>>> In the case I see before me, depclean wants to unmerge
>>> dev-util/glib-utils  -- its not in my world file, but if I do
>>> qdepends dev-util/glib-utils I get
>>> dev-util/glib-utils-2.58.3: dev-libs/libxslt app-arch/xz-utils
>>>> =dev-lang/python-exec-2:2/2=[python_targets_python3_6(+),-python_single_target_jython2_7(+),-python_single_target_pypy(+),-python_single_target_pypy3(+),-python_single_target_python2_7(+),python_single_target_python3_6(+)]
>>>> !<dev-libs/glib-2.56.2:2 dev-lang/python:3.6
>>>> app-text/docbook-xsl-stylesheets  
>> That is odd, I use emerge -cpv rather than qdepends and it shows many
>> reverse dependencies.
>>  
>>> but if I do eix of that it says:
>>> [U] dev-util/glib-utils
>>>      Available versions:  2.58.3{tbz2} 2.60.6 (~)2.60.7
>>> {PYTHON_SINGLE_TARGET="python3_5 python3_6 python3_7"
>>> PYTHON_TARGETS="python3_5 python3_6 python3_7"}
>>>     Installed versions:  2.58.3{tbz2}(08:28:38 AM
>>> 05/10/2019)(PYTHON_SINGLE_TARGET="python3_6 -python3_5
>>> -python3_7" PYTHON_TARGETS="python3_6 -python3_5
>>> -python3_7")
>> It may not be relevant, but you don't have the latest version installed
>> and it is recommended to run depclean after a full world update.
>>
>>> But if I do
>>> script -c "emerge  --update --deep
>>> --with-bdeps=y --changed-use --backtrack=500      --keep-going
>>> world"       /usr/src/world_update.txt
>>>
>>> It says 0 packages and stops.
>> So it's odd to see that portage considers your system up to date.
>> Although this is consistent with portage considering glib-utils to be
>> unnecessary. Does
>>
>> grep -r glib-utils /etc/portage
>>
>> show anything. Is the package listed in the output from emerge -ep @world?
> No output from the grep or emerge -ep @world for that package.
>


I'm going to mention something I ran into recently.  It may not have any
effect but it may.  Recently I ran eix-test-obsolete and was cleaning
out old entries in /etc/portage.  On occasion, I would run emerge -auDN
world to make sure it was reporting things that shouldn't change
anything.  For the record, I have some default options in make.conf. 
The odd thing is, it started updating packages.  Most of them was KDE
because I run a mixed system, mostly stable but some
unstable/keyworded.  System tools are stable, such as things needed for
booting etc.  KDE and some other packages I run unstable.  Anyway, after
I did one set of upgrades, I continued running eix-test-obsolete and
cleaning out old cruft.  At times, it would update some more packages. 
I did a rinse and repeat for a while.  Eventually I got the files
cleaned out and got done with updates. 

I couldn't figure out why cleaning out old cruft that shouldn't change
anything would trigger updates but it did.  My mask file is short so
almost all changes were to the package.keyword file.  I could understand
if I removed something and it wanted to downgrade packages but I
couldn't figure out why it was stopping it from upgrading. 

Could there be entries in package.* files that are affecting this but
doesn't register in our way of thinking?  Maybe you have a line there
that is stopping something but it is done in a way that isn't obvious. 
You may want to run eix-test-obsolete and start cleaning out some
entries and see if things change.  Maybe emerge is calculating things
differently and we don't know, heck, the dev keeping emerge updated may
not even realize the change.  It could even be a bug that no one noticed
yet. 

As I said, it may not be the problem but it seems y'all are running out
of ideas.  It's the only thing I can think of that just may be worth
looking into.  As I've said before, when grasping at straws, just grab
all you can until one works. 

Hope that helps.

Dale

:-)  :-) 

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: problems with depclean

Wols Lists
On 17/10/19 12:57, Dale wrote:
> I couldn't figure out why cleaning out old cruft that shouldn't change
> anything would trigger updates but it did.  My mask file is short so
> almost all changes were to the package.keyword file.  I could understand
> if I removed something and it wanted to downgrade packages but I
> couldn't figure out why it was stopping it from upgrading.

Old cruft. Does that include old versions of current packages? In that
case, it's possible that stuff was still linked to it and that stuff
needed to be upgraded before the cruft could be removed.

Yes, I don't see why that should be the case, but it could ...

Cheers,
Wol

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: problems with depclean

Dale-46
Wols Lists wrote:

> On 17/10/19 12:57, Dale wrote:
>> I couldn't figure out why cleaning out old cruft that shouldn't change
>> anything would trigger updates but it did.  My mask file is short so
>> almost all changes were to the package.keyword file.  I could understand
>> if I removed something and it wanted to downgrade packages but I
>> couldn't figure out why it was stopping it from upgrading.
> Old cruft. Does that include old versions of current packages? In that
> case, it's possible that stuff was still linked to it and that stuff
> needed to be upgraded before the cruft could be removed.
>
> Yes, I don't see why that should be the case, but it could ...
>
> Cheers,
> Wol
>
>


And that was the reason for my post.  Even eix said it would result in
no change yet it did.  Some entries I removed were even versions no
longer in the tree or installed yet it lead to updates when the entries
were removed.  Even now, it doesn't make sense.  It's not something I
would expect either.  In the past, I've cleaned out old cruft like that
and not have to update a single package. 

Given that something weird is going on, I thought it worth mentioning
since something unexpected and weird is going on for the OP.  It may not
help but then again, it just might. 

Strange things happen. 

Dale

:-)  :-) 

12