pvcreate on a dmraid device

Dan Johansson-4
I'm trying to setup a new Linux-server with an on board RAID-controller
(Promise PDC20265 FastTrak100 Lite/Ultra100). Now everything goes well until
I try to do a pvcreate on one of the raid-partitions, this is the output I
get:
# pvcreate /dev/mapper/pdc_edcfibbf4
  Device /dev/mapper/pdc_edcfibbf4 not found.

But the device-file is there (along with the other partitions).

# ll /dev/mapper/pdc_edcfibbf*
brw-------  1 root root 253,  7 Nov  4 18:22 /dev/mapper/pdc_edcfibbf
brw-------  1 root root 253,  8 Nov  4 18:22 /dev/mapper/pdc_edcfibbf1
brw-------  1 root root 253,  9 Nov  4 18:22 /dev/mapper/pdc_edcfibbf2
brw-------  1 root root 253, 10 Nov  4 18:22 /dev/mapper/pdc_edcfibbf3
brw-------  1 root root 253, 11 Nov  4 18:22 /dev/mapper/pdc_edcfibbf4

and dmraid shows the raidgroup OK:
# dmraid -s
*** Active Set
name   : pdc_edcfibbf
size   : 160086465
stride : 128
type   : mirror
status : ok
subsets: 0
devs   : 2
spares : 0

Any suggestions on how I can solve this issue and move on with my
installation.

Dan Johansson, <http://www.dmj.nu>
This message is printed on 100% recycled electrons!

Re: pvcreate on a dmraid device

Bugzilla from bigfish@asmallpond.org
Dan Johansson wrote:

>I'm trying to setup a new Linux-server with an on board RAID-controller
>(Promise PDC20265 FastTrak100 Lite/Ultra100). Now everything goes well until
>I try to do a pvcreate on one of the raid-partitions, this is the output I
>get:
># pvcreate /dev/mapper/pdc_edcfibbf4
>  Device /dev/mapper/pdc_edcfibbf4 not found.
>
>But the device-file is there (along with the other partitions).
>
># ll /dev/mapper/pdc_edcfibbf*
>brw-------  1 root root 253,  7 Nov  4 18:22 /dev/mapper/pdc_edcfibbf
>brw-------  1 root root 253,  8 Nov  4 18:22 /dev/mapper/pdc_edcfibbf1
>brw-------  1 root root 253,  9 Nov  4 18:22 /dev/mapper/pdc_edcfibbf2
>brw-------  1 root root 253, 10 Nov  4 18:22 /dev/mapper/pdc_edcfibbf3
>brw-------  1 root root 253, 11 Nov  4 18:22 /dev/mapper/pdc_edcfibbf4

I suspect the devices are being filtered.  Take a look at
/etc/lvm/lvm.conf, and try running pvcreate with "-vv" to see how it is
probing the devices.  You might need to add a 'filter = [ a/pdc_*/" ]'
option to lvm.conf.

-Richard

Re: SOLVED pvcreate on a dmraid device

Dan Johansson-4
On Friday 04 November 2005 21.35, Richard Fish wrote:

> Dan Johansson wrote:
> >I'm trying to setup a new Linux-server with an on board RAID-controller
> >(Promise PDC20265 FastTrak100 Lite/Ultra100). Now everything goes well
> > until I try to do a pvcreate on one of the raid-partitions, this is the
> > output I get:
> ># pvcreate /dev/mapper/pdc_edcfibbf4
> >  Device /dev/mapper/pdc_edcfibbf4 not found.
> >
> >But the device-file is there (along with the other partitions).
> >
> ># ll /dev/mapper/pdc_edcfibbf*
> >brw-------  1 root root 253,  7 Nov  4 18:22 /dev/mapper/pdc_edcfibbf
> >brw-------  1 root root 253,  8 Nov  4 18:22 /dev/mapper/pdc_edcfibbf1
> >brw-------  1 root root 253,  9 Nov  4 18:22 /dev/mapper/pdc_edcfibbf2
> >brw-------  1 root root 253, 10 Nov  4 18:22 /dev/mapper/pdc_edcfibbf3
> >brw-------  1 root root 253, 11 Nov  4 18:22 /dev/mapper/pdc_edcfibbf4
>
> I suspect the devices are being filtered.  Take a look at
> /etc/lvm/lvm.conf, and try running pvcreate with "-vv" to see how it is
> probing the devices.  You might need to add a 'filter = [ a/pdc_*/" ]'
> option to lvm.conf.
I got a tip on the LVM mailinglist and now it works. I had to change my lvm2
"devices" configuration in /etc/lvm/lvm.conf to include:
types = [ "device-mapper", 254 ]