pycharm-community vs pycharm-professional

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
12 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

pycharm-community vs pycharm-professional

gevisz
In short: What is the difference between pycharm-community and
pycharm-professional Gentoo packages.

Not essential details are given below.

Some time ago a friend of mine asked me to install Ubuntu to his quite
an old computer:
Intel Pentium Dual-Core E2160 processor (without multithreading), only
2GB of RAM and
the motherboard does not allow more, etc.

In spite of my hate of Ubuntu, I installed for him Ubuntu 18.04 LTS
and, as a side effect,
have found out that it became much, much worse than Ubuntu 10.04 LST,
that I used
before switching to Gentoo after the release of Ubuntu 12.04 LST (with
Unity), even worse
than Ubuntu 12.04 LST that forced me to switch out of Ubuntu. (I would
even say that
Ubuntu 18.04 LST became a real piece of bull shit. Sorry for my French.)

Yesterday, the said friend of mine called to me and informed me that
his Ubuntu 18.04 LST
is broken (after he somehow tried to deinstall Python3 because he
needed only Python2 :).

"apt-get install python" and "apt-get install python3" commands did not helped.

After that I said to him that he has the following two options:
1) install Ubuntu 18.04 himself with my on-call help,
2) bring me his old computer again and allow me to install there Gentoo,
    as I don't want to see Ubuntu 18.04 any more.

He has chosen the latter.

So, now I have to install for him basic Gentoo and some other programs
including pycharm, vpn, skype4linux, etc.

Doing this, I have to choose between pycharm-community and
pycharm-professional but I do now nothing about them.

So, I decided to ask if somebody in this mailing list can tell me what
is the difference between pycharm-community and pycharm-professional
Gentoo packages.

Thank you in advance.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: pycharm-community vs pycharm-professional

Andrew Udvare


> On Sep 15, 2018, at 18:31, gevisz <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> In short: What is the difference between pycharm-community and
> pycharm-professional Gentoo packages.

Pretty sure one is completely free and limited in functionality and professional requires a license from JetBrains.

If you have a license, install pycharm-professional.

Andrew
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: pycharm-community vs pycharm-professional

sayusi
Hi,

Check this page:
https://www.jetbrains.com/pycharm/features/editions_comparison_matrix.html

On Sat, 15 Sep 2018 at 15:41, Andrew Udvare <[hidden email]> wrote:

>
>
>
> > On Sep 15, 2018, at 18:31, gevisz <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > In short: What is the difference between pycharm-community and
> > pycharm-professional Gentoo packages.
>
> Pretty sure one is completely free and limited in functionality and professional requires a license from JetBrains.
>
> If you have a license, install pycharm-professional.
>
> Andrew

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: pycharm-community vs pycharm-professional

gevisz
вс, 16 сент. 2018 г. в 1:43, András Csányi <[hidden email]>:
>
> https://www.jetbrains.com/pycharm/features/editions_comparison_matrix.html

Thank you for the link. It almost completely answers my initial question.

The only question that I still have about pycharm-professional is given below,
after the quote from previous e-mails.

> On Sat, 15 Sep 2018 at 15:41, Andrew Udvare <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > > On Sep 15, 2018, at 18:31, gevisz <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > >
> > > In short: What is the difference between pycharm-community and
> > > pycharm-professional Gentoo packages.
> >
> > Pretty sure one is completely free and limited in functionality and professional
> > requires a license from JetBrains.
> >
> > If you have a license, install pycharm-professional.

Thank you for your reply. Does it means that pycharm-professional package
in Gentoo will not work or will not install without providing a license number
from JetBrains or something like that?

On the official pycharm site, the professional version of pycharm is provided
with 30-day trial period. After end of that trial period, the
professional license
should be bought. That let me wonder if some payment will be necessary
for using pycharm-professional in Gentoo as well from the very beginning.
I just have not formulated it clearly in my initial question.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: pycharm-community vs pycharm-professional

Arve Barsnes
On Sun, 16 Sep 2018 at 09:15, gevisz <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thank you for your reply. Does it means that pycharm-professional package
> in Gentoo will not work or will not install without providing a license number
> from JetBrains or something like that?
>
> On the official pycharm site, the professional version of pycharm is provided
> with 30-day trial period. After end of that trial period, the
> professional license
> should be bought. That let me wonder if some payment will be necessary
> for using pycharm-professional in Gentoo as well from the very beginning.
> I just have not formulated it clearly in my initial question.
>

It is the same package as you get from JetBrains, so you still get the
30 days trial.

Cheers,
Arve

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: pycharm-community vs pycharm-professional

gevisz
вс, 16 сент. 2018 г. в 10:57, Arve Barsnes <[hidden email]>:

>
> On Sun, 16 Sep 2018 at 09:15, gevisz <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Thank you for your reply. Does it means that pycharm-professional package
> > in Gentoo will not work or will not install without providing a license number
> > from JetBrains or something like that?
> >
> > On the official pycharm site, the professional version of pycharm is provided
> > with 30-day trial period. After end of that trial period, the
> > professional license
> > should be bought. That let me wonder if some payment will be necessary
> > for using pycharm-professional in Gentoo as well from the very beginning.
> > I just have not formulated it clearly in my initial question.
> >
>
> It is the same package as you get from JetBrains, so you still get the
> 30 days trial.

Ok, thank you for the information.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: pycharm-community vs pycharm-professional

Raffaele BELARDI
In reply to this post by sayusi
András Csányi wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Check this page:
> https://www.jetbrains.com/pycharm/features/editions_comparison_matrix.html

I'm not the OP but am interested in the topic and currently just a noob in Python.

I'd use Python to develop programs for fun on an ARM-linux embedded board, with the host
PC running Gentoo. I suppose that for debugging on the target I'd need this feature:
"Remote run/debug" which is available only in the Pro edition, right?

thanks,

raffaele



Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: pycharm-community vs pycharm-professional

R0b0t1
On Mon, Sep 17, 2018 at 10:54 AM, Raffaele Belardi
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> András Csányi wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Check this page:
>> https://www.jetbrains.com/pycharm/features/editions_comparison_matrix.html
>
> I'm not the OP but am interested in the topic and currently just a noob in Python.
>
> I'd use Python to develop programs for fun on an ARM-linux embedded board, with the host
> PC running Gentoo. I suppose that for debugging on the target I'd need this feature:
> "Remote run/debug" which is available only in the Pro edition, right?
>

Yes. For all interested there is a .jar going around that has been
modified to avoid the license check that is as far as I can tell safe;
it does not require a network connection.

There is also PyDev, based on Eclipse. Remote debug (which entails
running) can be found documented at
http://www.pydev.org/manual_adv_remote_debugger.html.

Usually what I see is either sftp or rsync (over ssh) to the remote
computer, then ssh to run the updated files. Alternatively you can ssh
to the remote host and run vim within that session.

Cheers,
    R0b0t1

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

remote debugging python on embedded platform

Raffaele BELARDI
In reply to this post by Raffaele BELARDI
(Moved from [pycharm-community vs pycharm-professional] thread)

R0b0t1 wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 17, 2018 at 10:54 AM, Raffaele Belardi
>> I'd use Python to develop programs for fun on an ARM-linux embedded board, with the host
>> PC running Gentoo. I suppose that for debugging on the target I'd need this feature:
>> "Remote run/debug" which is available only in the (pycharm)Pro edition, right?
>>
>
> Usually what I see is either sftp or rsync (over ssh) to the remote
> computer, then ssh to run the updated files. Alternatively you can ssh
> to the remote host and run vim within that session.
>

I suppose vim on Host + ssh for transfer/run would be fine for me.

For debugging I saw some support for python is available in gdb but I'm not sure of the
environment, would I run gdb on the host or on the target (via gdbserver)?
Also, is gdb a viable solution given the interpreted nature of python or I'd better start
off with some GUI/IDE?

I normally use gdb/gdbserver for embedded C debugging so I'm fine with the gdb command
line interface.

thanks,

raffaele

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: remote debugging python on embedded platform

R0b0t1
On Mon, Sep 17, 2018 at 11:53 AM, Raffaele Belardi
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> (Moved from [pycharm-community vs pycharm-professional] thread)
>
> R0b0t1 wrote:
>> On Mon, Sep 17, 2018 at 10:54 AM, Raffaele Belardi
>>> I'd use Python to develop programs for fun on an ARM-linux embedded board, with the host
>>> PC running Gentoo. I suppose that for debugging on the target I'd need this feature:
>>> "Remote run/debug" which is available only in the (pycharm)Pro edition, right?
>>>
>>
>> Usually what I see is either sftp or rsync (over ssh) to the remote
>> computer, then ssh to run the updated files. Alternatively you can ssh
>> to the remote host and run vim within that session.
>>
>
> I suppose vim on Host + ssh for transfer/run would be fine for me.
>
> For debugging I saw some support for python is available in gdb but I'm not sure of the
> environment, would I run gdb on the host or on the target (via gdbserver)?
> Also, is gdb a viable solution given the interpreted nature of python or I'd better start
> off with some GUI/IDE?
>
> I normally use gdb/gdbserver for embedded C debugging so I'm fine with the gdb command
> line interface.
>

This is where it gets a bit weird... It seems there are multiple
custom remote debug implementations.

From some discussion on what PyCharm does (how it was broken by a
company firewall) it looks like it starts an ssh connection to the
target machine and runs pdb. PyDev may do something similar but it
looks like it replaces pdb with its own module.

Microsoft uses https://github.com/Microsoft/ptvsd. Visual Studio Code
is actually quite good and should run on Gentoo - it is open source,
as is their remote python debugger. I had forgotten about it but if
you want a GUI do strongly consider it.

Cheers,
    R0b0t1

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: remote debugging python on embedded platform

R0b0t1
On Mon, Sep 17, 2018 at 12:36 PM, R0b0t1 <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 17, 2018 at 11:53 AM, Raffaele Belardi
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> (Moved from [pycharm-community vs pycharm-professional] thread)
>>
>> R0b0t1 wrote:
>>> On Mon, Sep 17, 2018 at 10:54 AM, Raffaele Belardi
>>>> I'd use Python to develop programs for fun on an ARM-linux embedded board, with the host
>>>> PC running Gentoo. I suppose that for debugging on the target I'd need this feature:
>>>> "Remote run/debug" which is available only in the (pycharm)Pro edition, right?
>>>>
>>>
>>> Usually what I see is either sftp or rsync (over ssh) to the remote
>>> computer, then ssh to run the updated files. Alternatively you can ssh
>>> to the remote host and run vim within that session.
>>>
>>
>> I suppose vim on Host + ssh for transfer/run would be fine for me.
>>
>> For debugging I saw some support for python is available in gdb but I'm not sure of the
>> environment, would I run gdb on the host or on the target (via gdbserver)?
>> Also, is gdb a viable solution given the interpreted nature of python or I'd better start
>> off with some GUI/IDE?
>>
>> I normally use gdb/gdbserver for embedded C debugging so I'm fine with the gdb command
>> line interface.
>>
>
> This is where it gets a bit weird... It seems there are multiple
> custom remote debug implementations.
>
> From some discussion on what PyCharm does (how it was broken by a
> company firewall) it looks like it starts an ssh connection to the
> target machine and runs pdb. PyDev may do something similar but it
> looks like it replaces pdb with its own module.
>
> Microsoft uses https://github.com/Microsoft/ptvsd. Visual Studio Code
> is actually quite good and should run on Gentoo - it is open source,
> as is their remote python debugger. I had forgotten about it but if
> you want a GUI do strongly consider it.

Also this, sorry - https://github.com/quantopian/qdb.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: remote debugging python on embedded platform

Raffaele BELARDI
R0b0t1 wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 17, 2018 at 12:36 PM, R0b0t1 <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On Mon, Sep 17, 2018 at 11:53 AM, Raffaele Belardi
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> (Moved from [pycharm-community vs pycharm-professional] thread)
>>>
>>>> Usually what I see is either sftp or rsync (over ssh) to the remote
>>>> computer, then ssh to run the updated files. Alternatively you can ssh
>>>> to the remote host and run vim within that session.
>>>>
>>>
>>> I suppose vim on Host + ssh for transfer/run would be fine for me.
>>>
>>> For debugging I saw some support for python is available in gdb but I'm not sure of the
>>> environment, would I run gdb on the host or on the target (via gdbserver)?
>>> Also, is gdb a viable solution given the interpreted nature of python or I'd better start
>>> off with some GUI/IDE?
>>
>> This is where it gets a bit weird... It seems there are multiple
>> custom remote debug implementations.
>>
>> From some discussion on what PyCharm does (how it was broken by a
>> company firewall) it looks like it starts an ssh connection to the
>> target machine and runs pdb. PyDev may do something similar but it
>> looks like it replaces pdb with its own module.
>>
>> Microsoft uses https://github.com/Microsoft/ptvsd. Visual Studio Code
>> is actually quite good and should run on Gentoo - it is open source,
>> as is their remote python debugger. I had forgotten about it but if
>> you want a GUI do strongly consider it.
>
> Also this, sorry - https://github.com/quantopian/qdb.

I had a quick look at the native python debugger pdb, I suppose that it should be fine
till I'll be good enough with coding to crash the interpreter :-). I'll edit on the host
('USE=python emerge vim') and share mounts via NFS. Thanks for the qdb hint, looks promising.
VSCode license has some privacy statements that I don't like.

thanks,

raffaele