python 2.6 and mailman

John Covici
Hi.  I upgraded to python 2.6 -- at the time I didn't know that this
would break mailman, buut there is a version of mailman compatible
with 2.6 -- is there any ebuild for this?  I doubt it would be
possible todowngrade to 2.5 -- at least not without great difficult.
Please correct me if I am wrong in any of this, but the easiest thing
would be to get a version of mailman compatible with 2.6.

Thanks in advance for any ideas on this problem.

--
Your life is like a penny.  You're going to lose it.  The question is:
How do

         John Covici

Re: python 2.6 and mailman

David Relson
On Wed, 6 May 2009 05:06:51 -0400
John covici wrote:

> Hi.  I upgraded to python 2.6 -- at the time I didn't know that this
> would break mailman, buut there is a version of mailman compatible
> with 2.6 -- is there any ebuild for this?  I doubt it would be
> possible todowngrade to 2.5 -- at least not without great difficult.
> Please correct me if I am wrong in any of this, but the easiest thing
> would be to get a version of mailman compatible with 2.6.
>
> Thanks in advance for any ideas on this problem.

Perhaps it'd be better to post this query on the mailman mailing list???

Re: python 2.6 and mailman

John Covici
on Wednesday 05/06/2009 David Relson([hidden email]) wrote
 > On Wed, 6 May 2009 05:06:51 -0400
 > John covici wrote:
 >
 > > Hi.  I upgraded to python 2.6 -- at the time I didn't know that this
 > > would break mailman, buut there is a version of mailman compatible
 > > with 2.6 -- is there any ebuild for this?  I doubt it would be
 > > possible todowngrade to 2.5 -- at least not without great difficult.
 > > Please correct me if I am wrong in any of this, but the easiest thing
 > > would be to get a version of mailman compatible with 2.6.
 > >
 > > Thanks in advance for any ideas on this problem.
 >
 > Perhaps it'd be better to post this query on the mailman mailing list???

Well, maybe, but they do have a newer version which they say works
with 2.6, but gentoo has not put an ebuild up for it yet, this is why
I am using this list.

--
Your life is like a penny.  You're going to lose it.  The question is:
How do
you spend it?

         John Covici

Re: python 2.6 and mailman

Neil Bothwick
On Wed, 6 May 2009 05:06:51 -0400, John covici wrote:

> Hi.  I upgraded to python 2.6 -- at the time I didn't know that this
> would break mailman, buut there is a version of mailman compatible
> with 2.6 -- is there any ebuild for this?  I doubt it would be
> possible todowngrade to 2.5 -- at least not without great difficult.
> Please correct me if I am wrong in any of this, but the easiest thing
> would be to get a version of mailman compatible with 2.6.

There is a bug filed for this, so an updated ebuild should appear
shortly. Meanwhile, what's wrong with installing Python 2.5? It's
slotted, so you can have 2.5 and 2.6 installed together, or simply switch
back to 2.5 until a new mailman ebuild is released. Or is there a reason
you really need 2.6?

--
Neil Bothwick

I'm really easy to get along with once you people learn to worship me.

Re: python 2.6 and mailman

John Covici
on Wednesday 05/06/2009 Neil Bothwick([hidden email]) wrote
 > On Wed, 6 May 2009 05:06:51 -0400, John covici wrote:
 >
 > > Hi.  I upgraded to python 2.6 -- at the time I didn't know that this
 > > would break mailman, buut there is a version of mailman compatible
 > > with 2.6 -- is there any ebuild for this?  I doubt it would be
 > > possible todowngrade to 2.5 -- at least not without great difficult.
 > > Please correct me if I am wrong in any of this, but the easiest thing
 > > would be to get a version of mailman compatible with 2.6.
 >
 > There is a bug filed for this, so an updated ebuild should appear
 > shortly. Meanwhile, what's wrong with installing Python 2.5? It's
 > slotted, so you can have 2.5 and 2.6 installed together, or simply switch
 > back to 2.5 until a new mailman ebuild is released. Or is there a reason
 > you really need 2.6?

The question is, I would not mind switching back to 2.5, but how do I
do this -- I had to run pythonupdater to switch from 2.5 to 2.6, what
is the procedure to do the reverse?

On Wed, 6 May 2009 09:52:08 -0400, John covici wrote:

>  > There is a bug filed for this, so an updated ebuild should appear
>  > shortly. Meanwhile, what's wrong with installing Python 2.5? It's
>  > slotted, so you can have 2.5 and 2.6 installed together, or simply
>  > switch back to 2.5 until a new mailman ebuild is released. Or is
>  > there a reason you really need 2.6?
>
> The question is, I would not mind switching back to 2.5, but how do I
> do this -- I had to run pythonupdater to switch from 2.5 to 2.6, what
> is the procedure to do the reverse?

The same, run python-updater, although you may need to tell it which
version to update, run it with --help to see the options. This all
assumes you removed Python 2.5, otherwise you only need to use
python-config to switch back.

--
Neil Bothwick

Top Oxymorons Number 36: Alone together

Re: python 2.6 and mailman

Peter Alfredsen-3
On Wed, 6 May 2009 09:52:08 -0400
John covici <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The question is, I would not mind switching back to 2.5, but how do I
> do this -- I had to run pythonupdater to switch from 2.5 to 2.6, what
> is the procedure to do the reverse?

Make sure python-2.5 is installed:
emerge -av =dev-lang/python-2.5*
eselect python set python2.5
python-updater --old-version 2.6

Mask python-2.6. This is needed because python will automatically
eselect the newest version each time it's emerged:
echo "=dev-lang/python-2.6*" >> /etc/portage/package.mask
emerge -C '=dev-lang/python-2.6*'

/loki_val

Re: python 2.6 and mailman

Neil Bothwick
On Wed, 6 May 2009 14:59:40 +0100, Neil Bothwick wrote:

> otherwise you only need to use
> python-config to switch back.

That should be eselect python, as Peter outlined in his post.

--
Neil Bothwick

WinErr 005: Multitasking attempted - System confused

Re: python 2.6 and mailman

John Covici
on Wednesday 05/06/2009 Neil Bothwick([hidden email]) wrote
 > On Wed, 6 May 2009 14:59:40 +0100, Neil Bothwick wrote:
 >
 > > otherwise you only need to use
 > > python-config to switch back.
 >
 > That should be eselect python, as Peter outlined in his post.
 >
 >
 > --
 > Neil Bothwick
 >
 > WinErr 005: Multitasking attempted - System confused

Thanks much -- that will fix things up just fine.