query ebuild fields

Ian Zimmerman-3
Is there a command to show the fields like DESCRIPTION and HOMEPAGE from
an installed ebuild, or is this one of the annoying gaps in the
framework that must be (and can be) trivially worked around?

Example: I have installed x11-terms/rxvt-unicode.  I don't know what it
is (no, really! :-P ) and I sure as h*ll don't know the exact version
number I have.  I want to visit the upstream website to learn more.

I know the following command will mostly do it, but it will
occassionally show too much and scroll the relevant result off the
screen.  Also, being a search, it is much slower than necessary.

emerge --search --quiet n x11-terms/rxvt-unicode

Re: query ebuild fields

Grant Taylor-2
On 6/21/19 11:27 AM, Ian Zimmerman wrote:
> Is there a command to show the fields like DESCRIPTION and HOMEPAGE
> from an installed ebuild, or is this one of the annoying gaps in the
> framework that must be (and can be) trivially worked around?

Does equery meta not show what you want?

% equery meta x11-terms/rxvt-unicode
  * x11-terms/rxvt-unicode [gentoo]
Maintainer:  [hidden email] (Jeroen Roovers)
Upstream:    Remote-ID:   cpe:/a:rxvt-unicode:rxvt-unicode ID: cpe
Homepage:    http://software.schmorp.de/pkg/rxvt-unicode.html
Location:    /usr/portage/x11-terms/rxvt-unicode
License:     GPL-3

There's always something like this too.  ;-)

% egrep "(DESCRIPTION|HOMEPATE)"
/usr/portage/x11-terms/rxvt-unicode/*.ebuild
/usr/portage/x11-terms/rxvt-unicode/rxvt-unicode-9.22-r1.ebuild:DESCRIPTION="rxvt
clone with xft and unicode support"
/usr/portage/x11-terms/rxvt-unicode/rxvt-unicode-9.22-r3.ebuild:DESCRIPTION="rxvt
clone with xft and unicode support"
/usr/portage/x11-terms/rxvt-unicode/rxvt-unicode-9999.ebuild:DESCRIPTION="rxvt
clone with xft and unicode support"

Re: query ebuild fields

Mick-10
On Friday, 21 June 2019 18:27:58 BST Ian Zimmerman wrote:

> Is there a command to show the fields like DESCRIPTION and HOMEPAGE from
> an installed ebuild, or is this one of the annoying gaps in the
> framework that must be (and can be) trivially worked around?
>
> Example: I have installed x11-terms/rxvt-unicode.  I don't know what it
> is (no, really! :-P ) and I sure as h*ll don't know the exact version
> number I have.  I want to visit the upstream website to learn more.
>
> I know the following command will mostly do it, but it will
> occassionally show too much and scroll the relevant result off the
> screen.  Also, being a search, it is much slower than necessary.
>
> emerge --search --quiet n x11-terms/rxvt-unicode
I use 'eix -l <package>' to get this sort of information.  I'm sure there are
cleverer options to use with eix, so it only prints the database fields you
want, but the above has served most of my needs well.  Install app-portage/
eix, then run eix-update and from then on you can use eix-sync to sync portage
and/or overlays with a mirror and search for the package you want.

rxvt-unicode is a terminal emulator, like xterm, konsole, terminology, xfce4-
terminal , etc. which you use within your xsession, instead of having to
switch over to a tty.

There's even a page about it - I can't recall having read before, but it looks
quite detailed:

https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Rxvt-unicode
https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Terminal_emulator

HTH
Mick

Re: query ebuild fields

Urs Schütz
On 6/21/19 7:27 PM, Ian Zimmerman wrote:
> Is there a command to show the fields like DESCRIPTION and HOMEPAGE from
> an installed ebuild, or is this one of the annoying gaps in the
> framework that must be (and can be) trivially worked around?

Eix is faster for such things. You can format the output as you need it.
Does the following do what you want?

eix -I --format '<name>\n<homepage>\n<description>\n\n' rxvt-unicode

urs

Re: query ebuild fields

Ian Zimmerman-3
On 2019-06-21 11:41, Grant Taylor wrote:

> > Is there a command to show the fields like DESCRIPTION and HOMEPAGE
> > from an installed ebuild, or is this one of the annoying gaps in the
> > framework that must be (and can be) trivially worked around?
>
> Does equery meta not show what you want?

No description.  It clearly gets the homepage info from the .ebuild file
(it doesn't exist anywhere else) so why it cannot also get the
description is beyond me.

> % egrep "(DESCRIPTION|HOMEPATE)" /usr/portage/x11-terms/rxvt-unicode/*.ebuild
> /usr/portage/x11-terms/rxvt-unicode/rxvt-unicode-9.22-r1.ebuild:DESCRIPTION="rxvt clone with xft and unicode
> support"
> /usr/portage/x11-terms/rxvt-unicode/rxvt-unicode-9.22-r3.ebuild:DESCRIPTION="rxvt clone with xft and unicode
> support"
> /usr/portage/x11-terms/rxvt-unicode/rxvt-unicode-9999.ebuild:DESCRIPTION="rxvt clone with xft and unicode support"

That's what I meant by "trivially worked around" :-)

BTW, does your prompt mean you are a csh user?  Wow.

Re: query ebuild fields

Grant Taylor-2
On 6/21/19 3:59 PM, Ian Zimmerman wrote:
> No description.  It clearly gets the homepage info from the .ebuild
> file (it doesn't exist anywhere else) so why it cannot also get the
> description is beyond me.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

> That's what I meant by "trivially worked around" :-)

;-)

> BTW, does your prompt mean you are a csh user?  Wow.

No.

Zsh.

Re: query ebuild fields

throwd
* Ian Zimmerman <[hidden email]> [2019-06-21 10:27:58 -0700]:

>Is there a command to show the fields like DESCRIPTION and HOMEPAGE from
>an installed ebuild, or is this one of the annoying gaps in the
>framework that must be (and can be) trivially worked around?

You could use portageq

portageq metadata /usr/portage/ ebuild $(qlist -Iv rxvt-unicode) DESCRIPTION HOMEPAGE

Re: query ebuild fields

William Kenworthy
and
rattus ~ # esearch x11-terms/rxvt-unicode
[ Results for search key : x11-terms/rxvt-unicode ]
[ Applications found : 1 ]

*  x11-terms/rxvt-unicode
      Latest version available: 9.21
      Latest version installed: [ Not Installed ]
      Size of downloaded files: 903 kB
      Homepage:    http://software.schmorp.de/pkg/rxvt-unicode.html
      License:     GPL-3

rattus ~ #

its less a search than a database lookup like the locate command so its
very fast

rattus ~ # esearch app-portage/esearch
[ Results for search key : app-portage/esearch ]
[ Applications found : 1 ]

*  app-portage/esearch
      Latest version available: 1.3-r2
      Latest version installed: 1.3-r2