"yabootconfig: /dev/ROOT: No such file or directory" why?

"yabootconfig: /dev/ROOT: No such file or directory" why?

mv.1001
Hi,
I have a problem here. I follow everything step by step from handbook. but it always stopped here. I tried many time and searched it in google. but Can't find answers.
the problem is:
After I install yaboot in chroot environment. then I exit it, and try "yabootconfig --chroot /mnt/gentoo". but I got "yabootconfig: /dev/ROOT: No such file or directory". I guess it's fstab problem, but how to mount Apple_Bootstrap in fstab?
Anyone can help me?

Thanks in Adv.

James

Re: "yabootconfig: /dev/ROOT: No such file or directory" why?

Mark Knecht
On Tue, Jun 30, 2009 at 3:25 PM, mv.1001<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
> I have a problem here. I follow everything step by step from handbook. but
> it always stopped here. I tried many time and searched it in google. but
> Can't find answers.
> the problem is:
> After I install yaboot in chroot environment. then I exit it, and try
> "yabootconfig --chroot /mnt/gentoo". but I got "yabootconfig: /dev/ROOT: No
> such file or directory". I guess it's fstab problem, but how to mount
> Apple_Bootstrap in fstab?
> Anyone can help me?
>
> Thanks in Adv.
>
> James

Sounds to me like you didn't update fstab. Here's my fstab and
yaboot.conf files from my Mac Mini MythTV backend server. If you make
changes to yaboot.conf by hand remember to run ybin -v.

Hope this helps,
Mark

MacMini ~ # cat /etc/fstab
#
# noatime turns off atimes for increased performance (atimes normally aren't
# needed; notail increases performance of ReiserFS (at the expense of storage
# efficiency).  It's safe to drop the noatime options if you want and to
# switch between notail / tail freely.
#
# The root filesystem should have a pass number of either 0 or 1.
# All other filesystems should have a pass number of 0 or greater than 1.
#
# See the manpage fstab(5) for more information.
#

 <dump/pass>

# NOTE: If your BOOT partition is ReiserFS, add the notail option to opts.
/dev/hda4               /               ext3            noatime         0 1
/dev/hda3               none            swap            sw              0 0
/dev/cdrom              /mnt/cdrom      audo            noauto,ro       0 0

# glibc 2.2 and above expects tmpfs to be mounted at /dev/shm for
# POSIX shared memory (shm_open, shm_unlink).
# (tmpfs is a dynamically expandable/shrinkable ramdisk, and will
#  use almost no memory if not populated with files)
shm                     /dev/shm        tmpfs
nodev,nosuid,noexec    0 0

#/dev/sda1              /video          ext3            auto,rw         0 2
MacMini ~ #

MacMini ~ # cat /etc/yaboot.conf
boot=/dev/hda2

device=/pci@f4000000/ata-6@d/disk@0:2

partition=4

delay=5

default=2.6.28-gentoo-r5
timeout=300
install=/usr/lib/yaboot/yaboot
magicboot=/usr/lib/yaboot/ofboot

image=/boot/kernel-2.6.28-gentoo-r5
        label=2.6.28-gentoo-r5
        root=/dev/hda4
        partition=4
        append="video=radeonfb:1024x768-8@60"
        read-only

image=/boot/kernel-2.6.24-gentoo-r3
        label=2.6.24-gentoo-r3
        root=/dev/hda4
        partition=4
        append="video=radeonfb:1024x768-8@60"
        read-only
MacMini ~ #

Re: "yabootconfig: /dev/ROOT: No such file or directory" why?

Joseph Jezak
mv.1001 wrote:

> Hi,
> I have a problem here. I follow everything step by step from handbook. but
> it always stopped here. I tried many time and searched it in google. but
> Can't find answers.
> the problem is:
> After I install yaboot in chroot environment. then I exit it, and try
> "yabootconfig --chroot /mnt/gentoo". but I got "yabootconfig: /dev/ROOT: No
> such file or directory". I guess it's fstab problem, but how to mount
> Apple_Bootstrap in fstab?
> Anyone can help me?
>
> Thanks in Adv.
>
> James

You're close with suspecting that it's an fstab issue, but the issue is
actually that you haven't defined your root partition in the fstab. This
is set to a nonsense value of "/dev/ROOT" by default and it must be
changed before running yabootconfig. With the default partition layout
shown in the handbook, the root partition line would be changed to say
"/dev/hda3".

Hope that helps,
-Joe