[sage-on-gentoo] python 2.7 end of life

François Bissey-4
Hi,

As many of you surely know, upstream support for python 2.7 is ending in 2020.
Someone else may fill the gap but by and large people have migrated to python3.
sage has slowly been migrating to python 3 over the last couple of years and
sage 9.0 (the next release) will be the first one which default to python3
(3.7 to be more precise).

With that being said I am not sure for how long, after the first of January 2020,
Gentoo will support python 2.7. So I have decided that in Gentoo the next release
of sage (9.0) will drop python 2.7. While upstream may cling to it for a bit longer
I want to have a head start on the impeding removal of python 2.7 from the main tree.

For people following sage-9999 (the next beta release of sage), the drop will
occur in the next release (probably called 9.0.beta7).

Cheers,
François

Re: [sage-on-gentoo] python 2.7 end of life

François Bissey-4
Hi,

As you may have noticed, support for python 2.7 in the ipython stack has been
removed from the main tree.
Since ipython is an essential part of sage I removed python 2.7 support from
all current sage ebuilds. I also removed the old sage notebook as it is a
python 2.7 only component. There may be further clean up of the overlay to remove
some bits that were only needed for the old sage notebook.

Cheers,
François

> On 19/11/2019, at 10:14 PM, François Bissey <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> As many of you surely know, upstream support for python 2.7 is ending in 2020.
> Someone else may fill the gap but by and large people have migrated to python3.
> sage has slowly been migrating to python 3 over the last couple of years and
> sage 9.0 (the next release) will be the first one which default to python3
> (3.7 to be more precise).
>
> With that being said I am not sure for how long, after the first of January 2020,
> Gentoo will support python 2.7. So I have decided that in Gentoo the next release
> of sage (9.0) will drop python 2.7. While upstream may cling to it for a bit longer
> I want to have a head start on the impeding removal of python 2.7 from the main tree.
>
> For people following sage-9999 (the next beta release of sage), the drop will
> occur in the next release (probably called 9.0.beta7).
>
> Cheers,
> François

Re: [sage-on-gentoo] python 2.7 end of life

Benda Xu
Hi François,

François Bissey <[hidden email]> writes:

> As you may have noticed, support for python 2.7 in the ipython stack
> has been removed from the main tree.  Since ipython is an essential
> part of sage I removed python 2.7 support from all current sage
> ebuilds. I also removed the old sage notebook as it is a python 2.7
> only component. There may be further clean up of the overlay to remove
> some bits that were only needed for the old sage notebook.

Thank you very much for your work!

Benda, a happy user of sage-on-gentoo