samba and window 7 NTFS

Joseph-77
I just installed windows 7 in VB and would like to mount windows 7 shares (folder) via samba on Linux.
I think, I need to enable "CONFIG_NTFS_FS" in kernel?

In order to format the USB stick to NTFS I need this option in kernel as well, am I correct?

Joseph

Re: samba and window 7 NTFS

thegeezer
On 04/12/14 18:49, Joseph wrote:
> I just installed windows 7 in VB and would like to mount windows 7
> shares (folder) via samba on Linux.
> I think, I need to enable "CONFIG_NTFS_FS" in kernel?
no just cifs

> In order to format the USB stick to NTFS I need this option in kernel
> as well, am I correct?

yes

Re: samba and window 7 NTFS

Joseph-77
On 12/04/14 19:15, thegeezer wrote:

>On 04/12/14 18:49, Joseph wrote:
>> I just installed windows 7 in VB and would like to mount windows 7
>> shares (folder) via samba on Linux.
>> I think, I need to enable "CONFIG_NTFS_FS" in kernel?
>no just cifs
>>
>> In order to format the USB stick to NTFS I need this option in kernel
>> as well, am I correct?
>>
>yes

You are correct, but I think I only need NTFS in Kernel if I want to mount USB stick on Linux amd read/wrote to it.
I got around and used VB Windows 7 to format USB to NTFS and transfer the files from Linux to UBS via shared folder.

Joseph

Re: samba and window 7 NTFS

J. Roeleveld
On 4 December 2014 19:49:35 CET, Joseph <[hidden email]> wrote:
>I just installed windows 7 in VB and would like to mount windows 7
>shares (folder) via samba on Linux.
>I think, I need to enable "CONFIG_NTFS_FS" in kernel?

No. CIFS and install Samba.

>In order to format the USB stick to NTFS I need this option in kernel
>as well, am I correct?

No. Fuse support and install ntfs3g.

--
Joost

Re: samba and window 7 NTFS

Neil Bothwick
On Thu, 04 Dec 2014 19:15:07 +0000, thegeezer wrote:

> > In order to format the USB stick to NTFS I need this option in kernel
> > as well, am I correct?
> >
> yes

You're probably better off not using the in-kernel NTFS and using ntfs-3g
instead, which also includes mkfs.ntfs. You can't format a filesystem
with just a kernel driver.

--
Neil Bothwick

Suicidal twin kills sister by mistake!

Re: samba and window 7 NTFS

Matti Nykyri
> On Dec 4, 2014, at 22:21, Neil Bothwick <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On Thu, 04 Dec 2014 19:15:07 +0000, thegeezer wrote:
>
>>> In order to format the USB stick to NTFS I need this option in kernel
>>> as well, am I correct?
>> yes
>
> You're probably better off not using the in-kernel NTFS and using ntfs-3g
> instead, which also includes mkfs.ntfs. You can't format a filesystem
> with just a kernel driver.

Same opinoin here. The in-kernel driver is only good for reading files and directories. If anything else is needed use ntfs3g.

-Matti

Re: samba and window 7 NTFS

Mick-10
On Friday 05 Dec 2014 16:11:26 Matti Nykyri wrote:

> >> yes
> >
> > You're probably better off not using the in-kernel NTFS and using ntfs-3g
> > instead, which also includes mkfs.ntfs. You can't format a filesystem
> > with just a kernel driver.
>
> Same opinoin here. The in-kernel driver is only good for reading files and
> directories. If anything else is needed use ntfs3g.
This is right, ntfs-3g is a safe way of accessing NTFS from Linux.

Just mentioned in passing that the ntfs in-kernel driver is really good for
recovering corrupted NTFS partitions.  I tried the same with ntfs-3g and it
couldn't read it.  The kernel driver had no problem doing so.  YMMV.

Mick

Re: samba and window 7 NTFS

Marc Joliet
Am Fri, 5 Dec 2014 23:16:37 +0000
schrieb Mick <[hidden email]>:

> On Friday 05 Dec 2014 16:11:26 Matti Nykyri wrote:

> > > You're probably better off not using the in-kernel NTFS and using ntfs-3g
> > > instead, which also includes mkfs.ntfs. You can't format a filesystem
> > > with just a kernel driver.
> >
> > Same opinoin here. The in-kernel driver is only good for reading files and
> > directories. If anything else is needed use ntfs3g.
>
> This is right, ntfs-3g is a safe way of accessing NTFS from Linux.
>
> Just mentioned in passing that the ntfs in-kernel driver is really good for
> recovering corrupted NTFS partitions.  I tried the same with ntfs-3g and it
> couldn't read it.  The kernel driver had no problem doing so.  YMMV.
In that vein: a couple of years ago I rescued data from a neighbours Windows 7
drive with ddrescue and, because ddrescue was "stuck" at the last 0.x percent,
ntfsck, which was part of the ntfsprogs package at the time, and (I think) was
already being developed as part of ntfs3g.

I was pleasantly surprised that it worked.

--
Marc Joliet
don't" - Bjarne Stroustrup

Re: samba and window 7 NTFS

Marc Stuermer
Am 06.12.2014 um 00:16 schrieb Mick:

>> Same opinoin here. The in-kernel driver is only good for reading files and
>> directories. If anything else is needed use ntfs3g.
>
> This is right, ntfs-3g is a safe way of accessing NTFS from Linux.

Actually, while there is a NTFS-kernel driver, this driver is mostly
stable only for reading files, but not writing files.

If you need to use NTFS on a regular basis under Linux, you want to use
the FUSE ntfs-3g. It is far more advanced and far more stable than the
kernel driver.