sddm - any config to not advertise user names?

sddm - any config to not advertise user names?

Mark Knecht
The push to Plasma 5 had me switch to sddm by default instead of kdm. Does anyone know how to configure sddm to not advertise all user names on the login screen? I.e. - have users type both their user names as well as passwords?

Note that there is discussion in the man pages about a file /etc/sddm.conf but it's not installed on my system, I don't see any use flags that would apparently change that and there's no obvious documentation on what I think is the sddm homepage:

https://github.com/sddm

If sddm cannot be configured this way then are there any other Display Managers that work this way and work well with KDE?

Cheers,
Mark

Re: sddm - any config to not advertise user names?

malc-3
Hey Mark,

From man sddm.conf
       MinimumUid=
              Minimum user id of the users to be listed in the user interface.  Default value is 1000.
       MaximumUid=
              Maximum user id of the users to be listed in the user interface.  Default value is 60000

Presume if you just set MinimumUid to some high value - you'd get the behaviour you desire.

To generate a sample sddm.conf - "sddm --example-config" (optionally redirect to file)
This is missing from the manpage - but is there in the sddm -h output...

Cheers,
malc.

On Sun, Jul 17, 2016 at 11:03 PM, Mark Knecht <[hidden email]> wrote:
The push to Plasma 5 had me switch to sddm by default instead of kdm. Does anyone know how to configure sddm to not advertise all user names on the login screen? I.e. - have users type both their user names as well as passwords?

Note that there is discussion in the man pages about a file /etc/sddm.conf but it's not installed on my system, I don't see any use flags that would apparently change that and there's no obvious documentation on what I think is the sddm homepage:

https://github.com/sddm

If sddm cannot be configured this way then are there any other Display Managers that work this way and work well with KDE?

Cheers,
Mark

Re: sddm - any config to not advertise user names?

Randy Barlow-2
These seem to be docs, but they don't seem particularly user focused.

https://github.com/sddm/sddm/tree/master/docs

Randy Barlow

On Mon, Jul 18, 2016 at 3:00 AM, malc <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hey Mark,
>
> From man sddm.conf
>        MinimumUid=
>               Minimum user id of the users to be listed in the user interface.  Default value is 1000.
>        MaximumUid=
>               Maximum user id of the users to be listed in the user interface.  Default value is 60000
>
> Presume if you just set MinimumUid to some high value - you'd get the behaviour you desire.
>
> To generate a sample sddm.conf - "sddm --example-config" (optionally redirect to file)
> This is missing from the manpage - but is there in the sddm -h output...
>
> Cheers,
> malc.

Thanks Malc, That should give me some options to try out. I'll report back later how it worked out.

Cheers,
Mark

On Mon, Jul 18, 2016 at 6:00 AM, malc <[hidden email]> wrote:

> From man sddm.conf
>        MinimumUid=
>               Minimum user id of the users to be listed in the user
> interface.  Default value is 1000.
>        MaximumUid=
>               Maximum user id of the users to be listed in the user
> interface.  Default value is 60000
>
> Presume if you just set MinimumUid to some high value - you'd get the
> behaviour you desire.

This still won't give you a username prompt as far as I can tell.  If
it works I'm all ears as this behavior drives me nuts (I want to list
a few non-contiguous users as most of my UIDs don't log in and I hate
having to scroll every time I do log in).  I suspect that setting the
minimum UID to a large number would just prevent you from logging in
at all, but please let us know if it works.

On Mon, Jul 18, 2016 at 6:11 AM, Rich Freeman <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 18, 2016 at 6:00 AM, malc <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > From man sddm.conf
> >        MinimumUid=
> >               Minimum user id of the users to be listed in the user
> > interface.  Default value is 1000.
> >        MaximumUid=
> >               Maximum user id of the users to be listed in the user
> > interface.  Default value is 60000
> >
> > Presume if you just set MinimumUid to some high value - you'd get the
> > behaviour you desire.
> >

> This still won't give you a username prompt as far as I can tell.  If
> it works I'm all ears as this behavior drives me nuts (I want to list
> a few non-contiguous users as most of my UIDs don't log in and I hate
> having to scroll every time I do log in).  I suspect that setting the
> minimum UID to a large number would just prevent you from logging in
> at all, but please let us know if it works.

There is another option in the config file

# Hidden users
HideUsers=

No documentation that I've found but if it takes a non-contiguous list then it might help get rid of some of the list.

Or take your chances and reassign user numbers?

I don't personally have a lot of interest but I see that it apparently runs a setup script which could probably be modified:

[XDisplay]
# Xsetup script path
# A script to execute when starting the display server
DisplayCommand=/usr/share/sddm/scripts/Xsetup

The other thing I liked about kdm was that the login only showed on my first monitor whereas sddm is showing it on all 3. Not a big deal as I pretty much boot up in the morning and log in.

Cheers,
Mark

Re: sddm - any config to not advertise user names?

malc-3
For a text-input box for username - try the elarun or maldives themes

And fwiw - for a single-user desktop - I use auto-login (I wouldn't do this on a laptop - or if I thought anyone else had physical access)

[Autologin]
# Autologin again on session exit
Relogin=false

# Autologin session
Session=plasma.desktop

# Autologin user
User=myusernamehere

Re: sddm - any config to not advertise user names?

Duncan-42
Mark Knecht posted on Mon, 18 Jul 2016 06:23:34 -0700 as excerpted:

> I don't personally have a lot of interest but [...]

> The other thing I liked about kdm was that the login only showed on my
> first monitor whereas sddm is showing it on all 3. Not a big deal as I
> pretty much boot up in the morning and log in.

Same thing here about booting up and logging in, but here I don't use a
*DM at all, preferring a text-based login, and running startx (with /etc/
X11/Xclients having a single "exec startkde" line) from my logged-in user
if I want to go to X/kde/plasma.

So no worries about *DM at all.  I just login at the text prompt
regardless of whether I'm headed for X or not, and startx just as if it
was any other app I wanted to run at the text prompt. =:^)

--
Duncan - List replies preferred.   No HTML msgs.
and if you use the program, he is your master."  Richard Stallman

On Mon, Jul 18, 2016 at 8:49 AM, Duncan <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Mark Knecht posted on Mon, 18 Jul 2016 06:23:34 -0700 as excerpted:
>
> > I don't personally have a lot of interest but [...]
>
> > The other thing I liked about kdm was that the login only showed on my
> > first monitor whereas sddm is showing it on all 3. Not a big deal as I
> > pretty much boot up in the morning and log in.
>
> Same thing here about booting up and logging in, but here I don't use a
> *DM at all, preferring a text-based login, and running startx (with /etc/
> X11/Xclients having a single "exec startkde" line) from my logged-in user
> if I want to go to X/kde/plasma.
>
> So no worries about *DM at all.  I just login at the text prompt
> regardless of whether I'm headed for X or not, and startx just as if it
> was any other app I wanted to run at the text prompt. =:^)
>
> --
> Duncan - List replies preferred.   No HTML msgs.
> "Every nonfree program has a lord, a master --
> and if you use the program, he is your master."  Richard Stallman

I just knew when I saw you had replied that you'd say that! ;-)

Here at home we share machines. My wife, much less my 86 year old mother, wouldn't be at all comfortable with a solution being that technical, and generally speaking, I like to know that graphics are working when a machine boots vs she logs in, types startx and something fails - which happened here after the Plasma 5 upgrade. My main machine has run 3 monitors for years with no xorg.conf file but after the upgrade it didn't work anymore and X wouldn't start at all.

Having a DM is kind of nice when managing other people's experiences but this sddm choice seems oriented toward single user machine and less toward general usage cases. I suppose so many people use laptops these days it makes sense but not for me.

Good to hear from you. Has the networking thing worked out OK for you?

Cheers,
Mark

Re: sddm - any config to not advertise user names?

Marc Joliet
On Sunday 17 July 2016 15:03:26 Mark Knecht wrote:

> The push to Plasma 5 had me switch to sddm by default instead of kdm. Does
> anyone know how to configure sddm to not advertise all user names on the
> login screen? I.e. - have users type both their user names as well as
> passwords?
>
> Note that there is discussion in the man pages about a file /etc/sddm.conf
> but it's not installed on my system, I don't see any use flags that would
> apparently change that and there's no obvious documentation on what I think
> is the sddm homepage:
>
> https://github.com/sddm
>
> If sddm cannot be configured this way then are there any other Display
> Managers that work this way and work well with KDE?
>
> Cheers,
> Mark
AFAICT you just have to select the right theme/design for SDDM.  You can do
that via systemsettings, for example.  It seems you want something like
Circles or Elarun.

HTH
--
Marc Joliet
don't" - Bjarne Stroustrup

On Mon, Jul 18, 2016 at 2:53 PM, Marc Joliet <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sunday 17 July 2016 15:03:26 Mark Knecht wrote:
> > The push to Plasma 5 had me switch to sddm by default instead of kdm. Does
> > anyone know how to configure sddm to not advertise all user names on the
> > login screen? I.e. - have users type both their user names as well as
> > passwords?
> >
> > Note that there is discussion in the man pages about a file /etc/sddm.conf
> > but it's not installed on my system, I don't see any use flags that would
> > apparently change that and there's no obvious documentation on what I think
> > is the sddm homepage:
> >
> > https://github.com/sddm
> >
> > If sddm cannot be configured this way then are there any other Display
> > Managers that work this way and work well with KDE?
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Mark
>
> AFAICT you just have to select the right theme/design for SDDM.  You can do
> that via systemsettings, for example.  It seems you want something like
> Circles or Elarun.
>
> HTH
> --
> Marc Joliet

Thanks Marc. Elarun works and is relatively similar to the older KDM login as to be familiar. The only weird problem I had was that a mouse double click doesn't seem to select the whole login name so I have to click in the box at the end and backspace to get a new name in.

Circles seems to work also but the 'circles' are so obnoxious! Just not the theme for me. I sort of liked the circles login box a bit better because it put the Plasma 5 choice right there. I didn't try breeze or maldives yet but might just to see what they look like.

None the less very happy to have all those names and heads gone!

Cheers,
Mark

OT: Hotel wifi and general update Was: sddm ...

Duncan-42
Mark Knecht posted on Mon, 18 Jul 2016 09:26:56 -0700 as excerpted:

> On Mon, Jul 18, 2016 at 8:49 AM, Duncan <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> [N]o worries about *DM at all.  I just login at the text prompt
>> regardless of whether I'm headed for X or not, and startx just as if it
>> was any other app I wanted to run at the text prompt. =:^)
>>
> I just knew when I saw you had replied that you'd say that! ;-)

=:^)

> Here at home we share machines. My wife, much less my 86 year old
> mother, wouldn't be at all comfortable with a solution being that
> technical, and generally speaking, I like to know that graphics are
> working when a machine boots vs she logs in, types startx and something
> fails - which happened here after the Plasma 5 upgrade. My main machine
> has run 3 monitors for years with no xorg.conf file but after the
> upgrade it didn't work anymore and X wouldn't start at all.

I understand the other, not so technical, people thing.  Were I closer to
my folks so it would be practical for me to handle their computer stuff,
I imagine I'd do similar with them...

As for X not starting at all, that's actually how I ended up with a text-
only login a decade and a half ago.  I had just switched from MS and
still had an nVidia card that I had to run the proprietary drivers on as
before I switched I had thought to check for Linux drivers when I bought
the card, but I didn't know I had to check for /freedomware/ Linux
drivers.  Which was a problem as I wanted to build and run the latest
kernels and was thus updating kernels frequently.  Of course that meant I
had to rebuild the nVidia kernel module rather frequently as well, with
the result if I didn't being a failed X and *DM login GUI.

Of course that meant I had to do a text login to do the nVidia kernel
module build anyway, and that tended to "just work", so once I discovered
startx, I started just logging in at the text console and using startx if
I wanted X/kde.

The final straw was when a mandrake cooker (their supposedly faster-
updating beta program... that I ultimately left for gentoo when it got a
kde feature release plus a bugfix release behind kde upstream) update
broke whatever *DM GUI login I was using (whatever the mandrake default
was).  Simple enough fix for me: just quit using it. =:^)

> Having a DM is kind of nice when managing other people's experiences but
> this sddm choice seems oriented toward single user machine and less
> toward general usage cases. I suppose so many people use laptops these
> days it makes sense but not for me.
>
> Good to hear from you. Has the networking thing worked out OK for you?

Could be better, could be worse.  The wifi-N adapter works reasonably
well in the hotel, tho I do have to reboot it every so often as it
apparently stops passing the VoIP phone packets after a week or so so and
the VoIP adapter starts flashing and I can't get dialtone.

But I sure miss the cable internet, and being able to get youtube @ 1080p
without a system update interfering with the streaming.  Much of the time
on the hotel's wifi I can only get 320p, and the other day when I tried
to sync (via git) after nearly a month (been busy house shopping, but
have one signed up and thru initial inspections now), I had a /terrible/
time completing a full git pull on the gentoo repo, as it kept dying part
way thru.

There's two ways to look at it:

1) It's "complimentary" wifi provided by the hotel, at least I'm not
having to pay the $5/day extra they charge for priority wifi.

2) I (or in my case the city for me) am(/is) /already/ paying $100/day
for the room.  In this day and age, not having decent internet in lodging
costing that sort of money is entirely ridiculous.

I know one thing for sure.  If I were paying for it myself, I'd either be
paying way less for the suite, or it WOULD have good internet, even if it
meant a cheap motel and spending the difference on internet.

OTOH, the hotel, Homewood Suites by Hilton, does participate in HHonors,
the Hilton frequent-stay club, and they get a free internet upgrade.  If
I were paying for it myself, I imagine I'd be going that route.  Given
that based on the paperwork I signed, the city is apparently paying
standard rate for me anyway, no discounts of their own, I can't imagine
I'd be paying /too/ much more as an HHonors member, and possibly less,
while getting the internet upgrade in the process.

So yeah, mixed-bag, but I'm surviving.  I'm about 50 days into the 90-day
booking, and the house (actually condominium) sale is supposed to close
in a month (Aug 19), giving me a week or so after to get at least basic
furniture in place and move in before the hotel booking runs out, so I'm
more than half thru it, now.

Other than internet, I've no complaints.  Nice enough hotel, and while
the city did displace me from my owned trailer, rented space, I'm getting
a MUCH better place I'll actually own the deed to now, that as a rental
would go for more than twice the money I was paying where I was, so
really, nothing to complain about at all... but for the so-so internet in
the hotel they put me up in for the 90 days...

But hey, I was afraid I wouldn't have a stable enough connection to even
do youtube and the VoIP phone thing at all, and at least /that/ hasn't
been the case. =:^)

On Monday 18 July 2016 16:07:34 Mark Knecht wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 18, 2016 at 2:53 PM, Marc Joliet <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > On Sunday 17 July 2016 15:03:26 Mark Knecht wrote:
> > > The push to Plasma 5 had me switch to sddm by default instead of kdm.
>
> Does
>
> > > anyone know how to configure sddm to not advertise all user names on the
> > > login screen? I.e. - have users type both their user names as well as
> > > passwords?
> > >
> > > Note that there is discussion in the man pages about a file
>
> /etc/sddm.conf
>
> > > but it's not installed on my system, I don't see any use flags that
>
> would
>
> > > apparently change that and there's no obvious documentation on what I
>
> think
>
> > > is the sddm homepage:
> > >
> > > https://github.com/sddm
> > >
> > > If sddm cannot be configured this way then are there any other Display
> > > Managers that work this way and work well with KDE?
> > >
> > > Cheers,
> > > Mark
> >
> > AFAICT you just have to select the right theme/design for SDDM.  You can
>
> do
>
> > that via systemsettings, for example.  It seems you want something like
> > Circles or Elarun.
> >
> > HTH
> > --
> > Marc Joliet
>
> Thanks Marc. Elarun works and is relatively similar to the older KDM login
> as to be familiar. The only weird problem I had was that a mouse double
> click doesn't seem to select the whole login name so I have to click in the
> box at the end and backspace to get a new name in.
>
> Circles seems to work also but the 'circles' are so obnoxious! Just not the
> theme for me. I sort of liked the circles login box a bit better because it
> put the Plasma 5 choice right there. I didn't try breeze or maldives yet
> but might just to see what they look like.
>
> None the less very happy to have all those names and heads gone!
>
> Cheers,
> Mark
Glad that it worked for you!  And in the worst case, you could probably make
your own theme ;-) (I remember reading that SDDM designs are in written in
QML).

Cheers
--
Marc Joliet