search and logo

Curtis Napier
I implemented the search today. The search box is back on the right hand
side, it uses google.com to search all *.gentoo.org domains. This
includes the forums, planet, documentation and dev space among others.
The donate button was moved back to the ads column because of this.

There are a few other minor changes as well. Link colors have been made
more consistant: purple on white for content areas and white on purple
in the menu bar. All links turn green on :hover. These color
combinations pass the color-blind test, look really good and are
consistant. All links except the grey menu bar are now underlined to be
in-line with accessibility standards (the grey bar is an exception made
for aesthetic reasons).

The content area and ads column still need to be fixed. Currently they
are in a table (I was testing it out in attempt to not use an absolute
position css tag and it didn't do very well) and I need to put it back
into divs.

I'm trying to maximize the space in the purple boxes on the front page
(this only appears on the front page). Those boxes are supposed to be
used as advertisements promoting Gentoo. I just redid "Interact" and I
still need some ideas for "Manage" and "Optimize". I want at least two
links in all four of those boxes. They should convey a feeling of
empowerment and community. Suggestions?

The top level menu (main, planet, forums, etc...) had an issue. The
green arrow designates which site you are on. If you are on
planet.gentoo.org then PLANET would be first in line with the green
arrow. I spaced the first word out more to make it more obvious. The
link colors were changed to white with green hover to be consistant with
the site-wide color scheme and also to pass the color blind test.

print icon was moved to the right and an email to the docs-team icon added.

There were a bunch of small details that were ironed out so the entire
site is really looking very polished and professional and it's really
coming together now. I've gotten lots of great feedback from the
community that really helped, thanks everybody.

One bit of feedback is still lingering. The new logo is being questioned
and many people have voiced a desire to put it to a vote. Aaron Shi has
agreed to make an alternate version and the project leads have consented
to the Gentoo Developers voting in the normal fashion on which one will
become the new Official Gentoo Logo.

Aaron is presently in school taking his exams so don't expect to see the
alternate version until after the $HOLIDAY. Once Aaron submits it I'll
post it to the list and give everyone a chance to review it before we vote.

I feel that this is 99% done. There are a few issues that neysx brought
up that I need to address, I'll do that tomorrow. Once that's done I'm
going to push for a release of this current layout ASAP. The logo can
easily be changed if the current "infinity" logo is outvoted.

ramereth, swift and klieber: what do you think? I would like to have
this site up and running before christmas, is that feasible?

neysx, do you see any technical bugs that need to be fixed (other than
the stuff you linked to in your previous mail)?

Re: search and logo

Christopher-15
I like this version much better. It's all coming together, and I give my thumbs up for a release of this as soon as the minor bugs are worked out. (Not like it matters, but as an average gentoo user, I applaud you, and everyone else!)

Yes, let's see this before X-Mas 2005! It would be a nice X-mas present to the community!

On 12/9/05, Curtis Napier <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Christopher S. Case
SUNY Fredonia
Computer Science / Computer Engineering
[hidden email]
(716) 785 - 5553(Cellphone)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"To err is human. To forgive, divine.
To fix mistakes, now that's an Engineer."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Re: search and logo

Sven Vermeulen
On Thu, Dec 08, 2005 at 11:57:32PM -0500, Curtis Napier wrote:
> ramereth, swift and klieber: what do you think? I would like to have
> this site up and running before christmas, is that feasible?

Imo, yes. The logo change (if deemed necessary) can happen later on.

Wkr,
      Sven Vermeulen

--
  Gentoo Foundation Trustee          |  http://foundation.gentoo.org