sed,wget issue with memory exhausted on aix and osf1

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
8 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

sed,wget issue with memory exhausted on aix and osf1

Dan LaMotte-2
Just curious if anyone has run into the issue that sed/wget get memory
exhausted issues when there is still plenty of memory sitting around for
them to use?  I've done some preliminary searching for issues and some
other people have had the same issue, but no real fix.  Has anyone had
success and solving this issue?

Thanks!

--
# - dan lamotte -              - lamo0070 {at} umn.edu - #####
##   - pub 1024D/0852A280 -                      - uofm - ####
### fpr: 690F C162 4AE5 F85F FE94 88E5 D123 FBAC 0852 A280 ###
--
[hidden email] mailing list

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: sed,wget issue with memory exhausted on aix and osf1

Fabian Groffen-2
On 26-08-2007 21:16:04 -0500, Dan LaMotte wrote:
> Just curious if anyone has run into the issue that sed/wget get memory
> exhausted issues when there is still plenty of memory sitting around for
> them to use?  I've done some preliminary searching for issues and some
> other people have had the same issue, but no real fix.  Has anyone had
> success and solving this issue?

If this is on AIX, then the issue sounds horribly familiar.  I forgot
the fix, though.


--
Fabian Groffen
Gentoo on a different level

--
[hidden email] mailing list

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: sed,wget issue with memory exhausted on aix andosf1

Michael Haubenwallner
On Mon, 2007-08-27 at 08:25 +0200, Fabian Groffen wrote:
> On 26-08-2007 21:16:04 -0500, Dan LaMotte wrote:
> > Just curious if anyone has run into the issue that sed/wget get memory
> > exhausted issues when there is still plenty of memory sitting around for
> > them to use?  I've done some preliminary searching for issues and some
> > other people have had the same issue, but no real fix.  Has anyone had
> > success and solving this issue?
>
> If this is on AIX, then the issue sounds horribly familiar.  I forgot
> the fix, though.

The difference on AIX compared to Linux is that {c,m,re}alloc with
(calculated) size of zero returns NULL. This behaviour is specified as
'implementation specific' and thus allowed.

IIRC we already have patches for sed/wget in prefix-portage tree ?

/haubi/


--


Salomon Automation GmbH - Friesachstrasse 15 - A-8114 Friesach bei Graz
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Friesach bei Graz
UID-NR:ATU28654300 - Firmenbuchnummer: 49324 K
Firmenbuchgericht: Landesgericht für Zivilrechtssachen Graz


--
[hidden email] mailing list

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: sed,wget issue with memory exhausted on aix andosf1

Fabian Groffen-2
On 27-08-2007 09:16:51 +0200, Michael Haubenwallner wrote:

> On Mon, 2007-08-27 at 08:25 +0200, Fabian Groffen wrote:
> > On 26-08-2007 21:16:04 -0500, Dan LaMotte wrote:
> > > Just curious if anyone has run into the issue that sed/wget get memory
> > > exhausted issues when there is still plenty of memory sitting around for
> > > them to use?  I've done some preliminary searching for issues and some
> > > other people have had the same issue, but no real fix.  Has anyone had
> > > success and solving this issue?
> >
> > If this is on AIX, then the issue sounds horribly familiar.  I forgot
> > the fix, though.
>
> The difference on AIX compared to Linux is that {c,m,re}alloc with
> (calculated) size of zero returns NULL. This behaviour is specified as
> 'implementation specific' and thus allowed.
>
> IIRC we already have patches for sed/wget in prefix-portage tree ?

We should!  This issue I recall (but didn't connect it to the "memory
exhausted" message), and as far as I remember, we fixed that in the
portage tree.

Dan, what stage is this happening for you?  It may be that you need to
use prefix-launcher instead, since the bootstrap-prefix.sh script does
no patching of source files.


--
Fabian Groffen
Gentoo on a different level
--
[hidden email] mailing list

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: sed,wget issue with memory exhausted on aixandosf1

Michael Haubenwallner
On Mon, 2007-08-27 at 09:44 +0200, Fabian Groffen wrote:

> On 27-08-2007 09:16:51 +0200, Michael Haubenwallner wrote:
> > On Mon, 2007-08-27 at 08:25 +0200, Fabian Groffen wrote:
> > > On 26-08-2007 21:16:04 -0500, Dan LaMotte wrote:
> > > > Just curious if anyone has run into the issue that sed/wget get memory
> > > > exhausted issues when there is still plenty of memory sitting around for
> > > > them to use?  I've done some preliminary searching for issues and some
> > > > other people have had the same issue, but no real fix.  Has anyone had
> > > > success and solving this issue?
> > >
> > > If this is on AIX, then the issue sounds horribly familiar.  I forgot
> > > the fix, though.
> >
> > The difference on AIX compared to Linux is that {c,m,re}alloc with
> > (calculated) size of zero returns NULL. This behaviour is specified as
> > 'implementation specific' and thus allowed.
> >
> > IIRC we already have patches for sed/wget in prefix-portage tree ?
>
> We should!  This issue I recall (but didn't connect it to the "memory
> exhausted" message), and as far as I remember, we fixed that in the
> portage tree.
>
> Dan, what stage is this happening for you?  It may be that you need to
> use prefix-launcher instead, since the bootstrap-prefix.sh script does
> no patching of source files.

Ehm - currently prefix-launcher is out-of-date, because
portage-2.1.23.6381 is not available any more on
http://dev.gentoo.org/~grobian/distfiles

Want to upgrade it for the last two weeks - didn't find time yet, sorry!

/haubi/


--


Salomon Automation GmbH - Friesachstrasse 15 - A-8114 Friesach bei Graz
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Friesach bei Graz
UID-NR:ATU28654300 - Firmenbuchnummer: 49324 K
Firmenbuchgericht: Landesgericht für Zivilrechtssachen Graz


--
[hidden email] mailing list

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: sed,wget issue with memory exhausted on aixandosf1

Fabian Groffen-2
On 27-08-2007 10:27:47 +0200, Michael Haubenwallner wrote:
> > Dan, what stage is this happening for you?  It may be that you need to
> > use prefix-launcher instead, since the bootstrap-prefix.sh script does
> > no patching of source files.
>
> Ehm - currently prefix-launcher is out-of-date, because
> portage-2.1.23.6381 is not available any more on
> http://dev.gentoo.org/~grobian/distfiles
>
> Want to upgrade it for the last two weeks - didn't find time yet, sorry!

Ohw... oops.  That must be very long ago then, as I don't recall
throwing away files for a while...  Anyway, sorry, I didn't check that
dependency!


--
Fabian Groffen
Gentoo on a different level
--
[hidden email] mailing list

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: sed,wget issue with memory exhausted on aixandosf1

Michael Haubenwallner
On Mon, 2007-08-27 at 10:30 +0200, Fabian Groffen wrote:

> On 27-08-2007 10:27:47 +0200, Michael Haubenwallner wrote:
> > > Dan, what stage is this happening for you?  It may be that you need to
> > > use prefix-launcher instead, since the bootstrap-prefix.sh script does
> > > no patching of source files.
> >
> > Ehm - currently prefix-launcher is out-of-date, because
> > portage-2.1.23.6381 is not available any more on
> > http://dev.gentoo.org/~grobian/distfiles
> >
> > Want to upgrade it for the last two weeks - didn't find time yet, sorry!
>
> Ohw... oops.  That must be very long ago then, as I don't recall
> throwing away files for a while...  Anyway, sorry, I didn't check that
> dependency!

Have upgraded prefix-launcher (inSVN) to use prefix-portage-2.2.00.7698
now, but just tested to get it installed, not yet if it actually works.

Dan, eventually you want to try to start with prefix-launcher[1] on AIX,
but instead of downloading, please check it out from svn[2].
Don't know anything about OSF1...

[1] http://prefix-launcher.wiki.sourceforge.net/howto+install+prefix+launcher
[2] http://prefix-launcher.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/prefix-launcher/prefix-launcher/trunk/

/haubi/


--


Salomon Automation GmbH - Friesachstrasse 15 - A-8114 Friesach bei Graz
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Friesach bei Graz
UID-NR:ATU28654300 - Firmenbuchnummer: 49324 K
Firmenbuchgericht: Landesgericht für Zivilrechtssachen Graz


--
[hidden email] mailing list

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: sed,wget issue with memory exhausted on aix and osf1

Marshall McMullen
In reply to this post by Dan LaMotte-2
Dan,

Yes, this is a known issue on AIX, and you can read the full discussion on this and the patch I applied that solved the problem here:

http://www.mail-archive.com/gentoo-alt@.../msg02016.html

Hope this helps.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dan LaMotte" <[hidden email]>
To: [hidden email]
Sent: Sunday, August 26, 2007 9:16:04 PM (GMT-0600) America/Chicago
Subject: [gentoo-alt] sed,wget issue with memory exhausted on aix and osf1

Just curious if anyone has run into the issue that sed/wget get memory
exhausted issues when there is still plenty of memory sitting around for
them to use?  I've done some preliminary searching for issues and some
other people have had the same issue, but no real fix.  Has anyone had
success and solving this issue?

Thanks!

--
# - dan lamotte -              - lamo0070 {at} umn.edu - #####
##   - pub 1024D/0852A280 -                      - uofm - ####
### fpr: 690F C162 4AE5 F85F FE94 88E5 D123 FBAC 0852 A280 ###
--
[hidden email] mailing list


--
[hidden email] mailing list