speakup and 2.6.37 on gentoo

William Hubbs
All,

gentoo-sources-2.6.37 is in our tree. I do not know when it will be
marked stable, but I wanted to go ahead and post a message about the
upgrade process for speakup users.

When you configure a 2.6.37 or newer kernel, you will find speakup in
the staging drivers under device drivers in the menu. Be sure to select
the speakup core and the synthesizer driver(s) you need. They can either
be modules or built in.

Once the new kernel is compiled and installed, you should be able to
boot normally and have speakup start talking.

That is all there is to the upgrade process. If you want to use a kernel
older than 2.6.37, you can keep the app-accessibility/speakup package
installed, since it will continue to work for older kernels. But, if you
are not interested in older kernels, you do not need this package any
longer, so you can unmerge it once you are using 2.6.37 successfully.

Let me know if you have any questions.

---
William Hubbs
gentoo accessibility team lead

Re: speakup and 2.6.37 on gentoo

Robert Willam Grieve

... snip ...

Hello List,

Congratulations on finally getting this to staging! 5 years is a lot of
patience from the developers. So before anything, all users and hackers
deserve many compliments.

What doers the software synthesizers stack look like now? Is there any
interest in it being tested or is it no longer a viable option?

It used to look like
kernel
  |+ speakup.ko with speakup_soft
     |+ speakup_soft with parameter start=1
        |+ espeak installed on system with USE=portaudio
        |+ speakup package installed on system
        |+ speech-dispatcher installed on system
           |+Add speech-dispatcher to a runlevel a
           |+Add espeakup to runlevel a

This worked for a while but stopped in kernel 2..6.32 or so. i tried again
a few weeks ago, but speech-dispatcher seems to be not working any longer
on ~amd64. If anyone has any idea what the current stack looks like, i
would appreciate some pointers. For obvious reasons links websites are
preferred but if this is still 'in the back room' then perhaps we might
start something about this on the accessibility project page?

Depends if there is any interest.

All the best anyway,
   rdh