'su' missing

Philip Webb-2
My practice for many years has been to have a root terminal running,
which I start via 'konsole' + 'su'.  After a system update + reboot,
I am confronted with :

  Warning: Could not find 'su', starting '/bin/bash' instead.
  Please check your profile settings.

  499: ~> su
  bash: su: command not found

I always start from a raw terminal & use 'startx',
so hopefully I can still login as root & do system things that way,
but can anyone suggest what might have caused this problem ?
-- one pkg which was updated was 'shadow' : might that be the cause ?

BTW no-one else has physical access to this machine,
so leaving a root terminal running does not endanger security.

SUPPORT     ___________//___,   Philip Webb
ELECTRIC   /] [] [] [] [] []|   Cities Centre, University of Toronto
TRANSIT    `-O----------O---'   purslowatcadotinterdotnet

Re: 'su' missing : solved

Philip Webb-2
200312 Philip Webb wrote:

> My practice for many years has been to have a root terminal running,
> which I start via 'konsole' + 'su'.  After a system update + reboot,
> I am confronted with :
>
>   Warning: Could not find 'su', starting '/bin/bash' instead.
>   Please check your profile settings.
>
>   499: ~> su
>   bash: su: command not found
>
> I always start from a raw terminal & use 'startx',
> so hopefully I can still login as root & do system things that way.

'eix shadow' provided the solution : there's a new USE flag 'su'.
when that is enabled, 'shadow' is remerged & the system rebooted
-- the last is essential -- , all returns to normal.

SUPPORT     ___________//___,   Philip Webb
ELECTRIC   /] [] [] [] [] []|   Cities Centre, University of Toronto
TRANSIT    `-O----------O---'   purslowatcadotinterdotnet

Re: 'su' missing

Arve Barsnes
On Fri, 13 Mar 2020 at 04:25, Philip Webb <[hidden email]> wrote:

> My practice for many years has been to have a root terminal running,
> which I start via 'konsole' + 'su'.  After a system update + reboot,
> I am confronted with :
>
>   Warning: Could not find 'su', starting '/bin/bash' instead.
>   Please check your profile settings.
>
>   499: ~> su
>   bash: su: command not found
>
> I always start from a raw terminal & use 'startx',
> so hopefully I can still login as root & do system things that way,
> but can anyone suggest what might have caused this problem ?
> -- one pkg which was updated was 'shadow' : might that be the cause ?

That is the package which provides it on my box at least. It has a
'su' USE flag, maybe it somehow got flipped on your box?

Regards,
Arve

Re: 'su' missing : solved

Neil Bothwick
On Fri, 13 Mar 2020 01:30:27 -0400, Philip Webb wrote:

> 'eix shadow' provided the solution : there's a new USE flag 'su'.
> when that is enabled, 'shadow' is remerged & the system rebooted
> -- the last is essential -- , all returns to normal.

That USE flag is enabled by default, so the upgrade shouldn't break your
system unless you have USE="-*" in make.conf.

--
Neil Bothwick

If only the good die young then what does that say about senior citizens?

Re: 'su' missing : solved

Alan Grimes
Philip Webb wrote:
> 'eix shadow' provided the solution : there's a new USE flag 'su'.
> when that is enabled, 'shadow' is remerged & the system rebooted
> -- the last is essential -- , all returns to normal.

Thanks all for having this thread, my rage would have been endless if I
suddenly couldn't su anymore. While there is clearly no way to restrain
the penguins from being penguins, you guys have saved me so much pain
and anguish with this thread, thanks so much!!!!

--
Clowns feed off of funny money;
Funny money comes from the FED

Powers are not rights.