syslog-ng 10s pause during startup

Grant Edwards-6
Within the past week or two, I've noticed that on one of my machines
when syslog-ng is starting at boot, it pauses for about 10s with a
message something like "checking config file".  I'm using the default
installed config file, and it has a single non-coment line in it:

   SYSLOG_NG_OPTS=""

I use the exact same configuration on all my machines, but only on
this one does syslog-ng spend 10s "checking" it.  Unfortunately, it's
the one machine (a laptop) that gets booted frequently.

Why would syslog-ng need 10 seconds to check a virtually empty config
file?

--
Grant

Re: syslog-ng 10s pause during startup

Neil Bothwick
On Fri, 18 Oct 2019 15:14:45 -0000 (UTC), Grant Edwards wrote:

> Within the past week or two, I've noticed that on one of my machines
> when syslog-ng is starting at boot, it pauses for about 10s with a
> message something like "checking config file".  I'm using the default
> installed config file, and it has a single non-coment line in it:
>
>    SYSLOG_NG_OPTS=""

That sounds like a file in /etc/conf.d, the file it is checking is
/etc/syslog-ng/syslog-ng.conf - where you should check the @version line
matches the installed version.

--
Neil Bothwick

Suborbital Ballistic-Propulsion Engineer
Not Exactly A Rocket Scientist

Re: syslog-ng 10s pause during startup

Daniel Frey-6
Posting from phone, please excuse the formatting.

It is waiting for entropy to build. Moving mouse or typing on keyboard will speed it up but I have machines only controlled by IR so this was not helpful.

I switched to sysklogd and installed havaged and the problem went away.

Dan

On Fri., Oct. 18, 2019, 13:52 Neil Bothwick, <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Fri, 18 Oct 2019 15:14:45 -0000 (UTC), Grant Edwards wrote:

> Within the past week or two, I've noticed that on one of my machines
> when syslog-ng is starting at boot, it pauses for about 10s with a
> message something like "checking config file".  I'm using the default
> installed config file, and it has a single non-coment line in it:
>
>    SYSLOG_NG_OPTS=""

That sounds like a file in /etc/conf.d, the file it is checking is
/etc/syslog-ng/syslog-ng.conf - where you should check the @version line
matches the installed version.

--
Neil Bothwick

Suborbital Ballistic-Propulsion Engineer
Not Exactly A Rocket Scientist

Re: syslog-ng 10s pause during startup

Ian Zimmerman-3
On 2019-10-18 13:57, Daniel Frey wrote:

> It is waiting for entropy to build. Moving mouse or typing on keyboard
> will speed it up but I have machines only controlled by IR so this was
> not helpful.

That was exactly my guess when I saw the OP, although I don't have this
problem myself.

On 2019-10-18, Daniel Frey <[hidden email]> wrote:

> It is waiting for entropy to build.

Interesting -- what does syslog-ng need entropy for?

> Moving mouse or typing on keyboard will speed it up but I have
> machines only controlled by IR so this was not helpful.

Thanks, I'll try that.

--
Grant

Re: syslog-ng 10s pause during startup

Adam Carter

I wonder if the kernel option General architecture-dependent options  ---> GCC plugins  ---> Generate some entropy during boot and runtime would help?

On 10/18/19 5:47 PM, Grant Edwards wrote:

> On 2019-10-18, Daniel Frey <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> It is waiting for entropy to build.
>
> Interesting -- what does syslog-ng need entropy for?
>
>> Moving mouse or typing on keyboard will speed it up but I have
>> machines only controlled by IR so this was not helpful.
>
> Thanks, I'll try that.

I'm not sure actually. I only found it after 15 minutes of
troubleshooting while noting the time when things started/stopped. I
came across a log entry with something saying "waiting for entropy" and
when I noted when boot continued another entry like "entropy gathered."

Those aren't the actual log entries but what I "translated" the entries to.

Thankfully I wasn't scratching my head for hours over that one. I did
find if you left it long enough (my IR device would continue boot on its
own after 20 minutes or so) it would eventually boot.

Waiting 20 minutes for a MythTV appliance to start is pretty silly though.

Dan

On 2019-10-19, Daniel Frey <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 10/18/19 5:47 PM, Grant Edwards wrote:
>> On 2019-10-18, Daniel Frey <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> It is waiting for entropy to build.
>>
>> Interesting -- what does syslog-ng need entropy for?
>>
>>> Moving mouse or typing on keyboard will speed it up but I have
>>> machines only controlled by IR so this was not helpful.
>>
>> Thanks, I'll try that.

That doesn't seem to make any difference.

> I'm not sure actually. I only found it after 15 minutes of
> troubleshooting while noting the time when things started/stopped. I
> came across a log entry with something saying "waiting for entropy" and
> when I noted when boot continued another entry like "entropy gathered."

Hmm. No messages like that in demsg output.

My next guess would be that the wifi interface isn't up yet, and it's a DNS
lookup timing out.

> Waiting 20 minutes for a MythTV appliance to start is pretty silly though.

Yea, that's definitely beyond the pale.

How's MythTV these days?

I ran Myth for 10+ years, but got frustrated at the lack of a small
cheap silent front-end.

Does the server still refuse to run on a headless machine without X11
and demand that you configure it via a MythTV client on a UI layed out
for a TV?  When I gave up on Myth I switched to SageTV. When Google
bought that and shut it down, I switched to to Plex.  Both SageTV and
Plex can run on a server without X11 can be configured via a web UI.

--
Grant

Re: syslog-ng 10s pause during startup

William Kenworthy
moriah ~ # esearch haveged
[ Results for search key : haveged ]
[ Applications found : 1 ]

*  sys-apps/haveged
      Latest version available: 1.9.2-r1
      Latest version installed: [ Not Installed ]
      Size of downloaded files: 483 kB
      Homepage:    http://www.issihosts.com/haveged/
      License:     GPL-3+

moriah ~ #

On 10/19/19 8:09 AM, Grant Edwards wrote:

> On 2019-10-19, Daniel Frey <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> Interesting -- what does syslog-ng need entropy for?

>>> Thanks, I'll try that.
>
> That doesn't seem to make any difference.

It is a boot service and needs to start very early in the boot process.
When I first installed it, syslog-ng was starting before it, negating
any usefulness.

This problem affected 4 out of 5 machines after that update.

>> I'm not sure actually. I only found it after 15 minutes of
>> troubleshooting while noting the time when things started/stopped. I
>> came across a log entry with something saying "waiting for entropy" and
>> when I noted when boot continued another entry like "entropy gathered."
>
> Hmm. No messages like that in demsg output.
Check /var/log/messages too - I don't remember where I came across that
in the logs.

>> Waiting 20 minutes for a MythTV appliance to start is pretty silly though.
>
> Yea, that's definitely beyond the pale.
>
> How's MythTV these days?
>
> I ran Myth for 10+ years, but got frustrated at the lack of a small
> cheap silent front-end.
>
> Does the server still refuse to run on a headless machine without X11
> and demand that you configure it via a MythTV client on a UI layed out
> for a TV?  When I gave up on Myth I switched to SageTV. When Google
> bought that and shut it down, I switched to to Plex.  Both SageTV and
> Plex can run on a server without X11 can be configured via a web UI.

I haven't had to run the setup in like 8 years but I suspect it hasn't
changed. Some frontends use the kodi plugin to access the recordings.

Dan