sysrescuecd gone rogue

Mick-10
I just downloaded my preferred medium of choice for installing Gentoo and
discovered sysrescuecd now runs Linux Arch instead of Gentoo and to make
things worse it is running systemd instead of openrc.  :-(

A quick look in the forums did not reveal the reasons for this strategic
change.  Regardless, have you used the Arch based sysrescuecd to install
Gentoo and are there are any gotchas I should be aware of?

Would I be better off to use a Gentoo Live ISO to install with?  I don't think
I have used one of these for more than 10 years ... or more!  O_O

Mick

Re: sysrescuecd gone rogue

Arve Barsnes
On Tue, 4 Jun 2019 at 15:10, Mick <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I just downloaded my preferred medium of choice for installing Gentoo and
> discovered sysrescuecd now runs Linux Arch instead of Gentoo and to make
> things worse it is running systemd instead of openrc.  :-(
>
> A quick look in the forums did not reveal the reasons for this strategic
> change.  Regardless, have you used the Arch based sysrescuecd to install
> Gentoo and are there are any gotchas I should be aware of?
>
> Would I be better off to use a Gentoo Live ISO to install with?  I don't think
> I have used one of these for more than 10 years ... or more!  O_O

If you check the forums some more, you should be able to find links to
an effort to update the last gentoo-based version to create new
releases. See page 5 of the sysrescuecd thread in 'Gentoo Chat'.

Cheers,
Arve

Re: sysrescuecd gone rogue

Nikos Chantziaras-2
On 04/06/2019 16:10, Mick wrote:
> Regardless, have you used the Arch based sysrescuecd to install
> Gentoo and are there are any gotchas I should be aware of?

You can use anything. I did use the Gentoo-based sysrescuecd once to
install Gentoo, and I also used an Ubuntu live DVD too. It doesn't
matter. If it's Linux and boots, nothing changes.

Re: sysrescuecd gone rogue

Dale-46
Mick wrote:

> I just downloaded my preferred medium of choice for installing Gentoo and
> discovered sysrescuecd now runs Linux Arch instead of Gentoo and to make
> things worse it is running systemd instead of openrc.  :-(
>
> A quick look in the forums did not reveal the reasons for this strategic
> change.  Regardless, have you used the Arch based sysrescuecd to install
> Gentoo and are there are any gotchas I should be aware of?
>
> Would I be better off to use a Gentoo Live ISO to install with?  I don't think
> I have used one of these for more than 10 years ... or more!  O_O

I used to keep a copy of Knoppix around.  It can be used and has quite a
lot of features.  If sysrescue is going that route, I may be just using
something else.

As another said tho, you can use about anything Linux as long as you are
able to mount and chroot into the install.

Dale

:-)  :-)

Re: sysrescuecd gone rogue

Alexander Openkowski
I found some hints for using non-Gentoo LiveCDs for installation over here when I realized that my beloved SystemRescueCD switched over to Arch:

It seems though that these special advices (tar options when unpacking the stage tarball) have also been added to the regular installation instructions meanwhile, however in a slightly different form?

On Tue, Jun 4, 2019 at 4:02 PM Dale <[hidden email]> wrote:
Mick wrote:
> I just downloaded my preferred medium of choice for installing Gentoo and
> discovered sysrescuecd now runs Linux Arch instead of Gentoo and to make
> things worse it is running systemd instead of openrc.  :-(
>
> A quick look in the forums did not reveal the reasons for this strategic
> change.  Regardless, have you used the Arch based sysrescuecd to install
> Gentoo and are there are any gotchas I should be aware of?
>
> Would I be better off to use a Gentoo Live ISO to install with?  I don't think
> I have used one of these for more than 10 years ... or more!  O_O

I used to keep a copy of Knoppix around.  It can be used and has quite a
lot of features.  If sysrescue is going that route, I may be just using
something else.

As another said tho, you can use about anything Linux as long as you are
able to mount and chroot into the install.

Dale

:-)  :-)

Re: sysrescuecd gone rogue

Peter Humphrey-3
On Tuesday, 4 June 2019 14:10:13 BST Mick wrote:
> I just downloaded my preferred medium of choice for installing Gentoo and
> discovered sysrescuecd now runs Linux Arch instead of Gentoo and to make
> things worse it is running systemd instead of openrc.  :-(

Oh, woe!

Peter.

Re: sysrescuecd gone rogue

Grant Edwards-6
On 2019-06-04, Mick <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I just downloaded my preferred medium of choice for installing Gentoo and
> discovered sysrescuecd now runs Linux Arch instead of Gentoo and to make
> things worse it is running systemd instead of openrc.  :-(

That's sad news indeed.

--
Grant Edwards               grant.b.edwards        Yow! UH-OH!!  We're out
                                  at               of AUTOMOBILE PARTS and

Re: sysrescuecd gone rogue

Mick-10
On Tuesday, 4 June 2019 16:01:13 BST Grant Edwards wrote:
> On 2019-06-04, Mick <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > I just downloaded my preferred medium of choice for installing Gentoo and
> > discovered sysrescuecd now runs Linux Arch instead of Gentoo and to make
> > things worse it is running systemd instead of openrc.  :-(
>
> That's sad news indeed.

Thank you all for your responses.  I found the thread in the Gentoo forums and
am glad 'sabayonino' picked up the mantle to develop an up to date gentoo
based LiveRecoverySystem (LRS) from sysrescuecd.

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-1092708-postdays-0-postorder-asc-start-100.html

I'm particularly glad because I had recently deleted my own old homegrown
sysrescuecd, in which I had added various firmware files needed for my PCs &
their peripherals.  I was fearing I might have to repeat all this
customisation just to arrive at the same old sysrescuecd, rather than an up to
date version.

Yes, I've also used other CD/DVDs inc. Knoppix to install and repair Gentoo,
but for years now I had settled to sysrescuecd.  Looking forward to using LRS
from now on.  :-)

Mick

Re: sysrescuecd gone rogue

Neil Bothwick
On Tue, 4 Jun 2019 16:38:14 +0300, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:

> > Regardless, have you used the Arch based sysrescuecd to install
> > Gentoo and are there are any gotchas I should be aware of?
>
> You can use anything. I did use the Gentoo-based sysrescuecd once to
> install Gentoo, and I also used an Ubuntu live DVD too. It doesn't
> matter. If it's Linux and boots, nothing changes.

One thing to watch out for: if you are installing a UEFI system, you
need a live CD that boots using UEFI and not CSM.

--
Neil Bothwick

I locked my coathanger in my car; good thing I had a key.

Re: sysrescuecd gone rogue

John Covici
On Tue, 04 Jun 2019 13:13:39 -0400,
Mick wrote:

> [1  <text/plain; UTF-8 (7bit)>]
> On Tuesday, 4 June 2019 16:01:13 BST Grant Edwards wrote:
> > On 2019-06-04, Mick <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > > I just downloaded my preferred medium of choice for installing Gentoo and
> > > discovered sysrescuecd now runs Linux Arch instead of Gentoo and to make
> > > things worse it is running systemd instead of openrc.  :-(
> >
> > That's sad news indeed.
>
> Thank you all for your responses.  I found the thread in the Gentoo forums and
> am glad 'sabayonino' picked up the mantle to develop an up to date gentoo
> based LiveRecoverySystem (LRS) from sysrescuecd.
>
> https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-1092708-postdays-0-postorder-asc-start-100.html
>
> I'm particularly glad because I had recently deleted my own old homegrown
> sysrescuecd, in which I had added various firmware files needed for my PCs &
> their peripherals.  I was fearing I might have to repeat all this
> customisation just to arrive at the same old sysrescuecd, rather than an up to
> date version.
>
> Yes, I've also used other CD/DVDs inc. Knoppix to install and repair Gentoo,
> but for years now I had settled to sysrescuecd.  Looking forward to using LRS
> from now on.  :-)

Does this cd have zfs support?  I definitely need this as all my file
systems are using zfs.

--
Your life is like a penny.  You're going to lose it.  The question is:
How do

         John Covici wb2una

Re: sysrescuecd gone rogue

J. Roeleveld
On June 4, 2019 1:10:13 PM UTC, Mick <[hidden email]> wrote:

>I just downloaded my preferred medium of choice for installing Gentoo
>and
>discovered sysrescuecd now runs Linux Arch instead of Gentoo and to
>make
>things worse it is running systemd instead of openrc.  :-(
>
>A quick look in the forums did not reveal the reasons for this
>strategic
>change.  Regardless, have you used the Arch based sysrescuecd to
>install
>Gentoo and are there are any gotchas I should be aware of?
>
>Would I be better off to use a Gentoo Live ISO to install with?  I
>don't think
>I have used one of these for more than 10 years ... or more!  O_O

I tried the latest sysresccd to reinstall my laptop after having to replace the SSD. (It died without warning after 5.5 years).

I ended up using the gentoo install ISO for the install as sysresccd caused me too many issues.
Was too much in a hurry to waste much time in trying to figure it all out.

--
Joost

Re: sysrescuecd gone rogue

J. Roeleveld
On June 4, 2019 5:59:49 PM UTC, Neil Bothwick <[hidden email]> wrote:

>On Tue, 4 Jun 2019 16:38:14 +0300, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
>
>> > Regardless, have you used the Arch based sysrescuecd to install
>> > Gentoo and are there are any gotchas I should be aware of?
>>
>> You can use anything. I did use the Gentoo-based sysrescuecd once to
>> install Gentoo, and I also used an Ubuntu live DVD too. It doesn't
>> matter. If it's Linux and boots, nothing changes.
>
>One thing to watch out for: if you are installing a UEFI system, you
>need a live CD that boots using UEFI and not CSM.

The gentoo live dvd can boot into UEFI mode.

--
Joost

Re: sysrescuecd gone rogue

Rich Freeman
On Wed, Jun 5, 2019 at 3:26 PM J. Roeleveld <[hidden email]> wrote:

> >> You can use anything. I did use the Gentoo-based sysrescuecd once to
> >> install Gentoo, and I also used an Ubuntu live DVD too. It doesn't
> >> matter. If it's Linux and boots, nothing changes.
> >
> >One thing to watch out for: if you are installing a UEFI system, you
> >need a live CD that boots using UEFI and not CSM.
>
> The gentoo live dvd can boot into UEFI mode.

Personally I just use an Ubuntu image these days - it is trivial to
get that working on anything, and it is also pretty easy to get it
working with ZFS (easier than with most alternatives at least).  I use
zfs on most of my root filesystems.

In any case, really any solution should work.  I'm all for
Gentoo-based ones but the Gentoo install process is pretty generic and
doesn't really need anything more sophisticated than
tar+bzip+curl/wget+chroot, and then whatever you need to partition and
format your filesystems.  So, I find that my choice of rescue CD tends
to be driven more by practical concerns (what boots on the system I'm
using, convenient tools, package repository, etc).

Re: sysrescuecd gone rogue

Thomas Mueller-2
One thing I noticed with sysrescuecd switching from Gentoo to Arch was no more gcc, meaning you can't build any additional software.

But then the use of squashfs always was an annoyance.

Tom