systemd - are we forced to switch?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
41 messages Options
123
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

systemd - are we forced to switch?

Helmut Jarausch
Hi,

gnome-base/gnome-settings-daemon-3.8.4   requires systemd

sys-auth/consolekit-0.4.6                cannot coexist with systemd

but many packages depend on sys-auth/consolekit :

emerge -vpc sys-auth/consolekit  gives

   sys-auth/consolekit-0.4.5_p20120320-r2 pulled in by:
     gnome-base/gnome-session-3.8.2.1-r1 requires sys-auth/consolekit
     gnome-base/gnome-shell-3.8.3-r1 requires sys-auth/consolekit
     kde-base/kdm-4.10.5 requires sys-auth/consolekit
     net-misc/networkmanager-0.9.8.2-r2 requires sys-auth/consolekit
     net-wireless/bluez-4.101-r5 requires sys-auth/consolekit
     sys-apps/accountsservice-0.6.34 requires sys-auth/consolekit
     sys-auth/pambase-20120417-r2  
requires >=sys-auth/consolekit-0.4.5_p2012[pam]
     sys-auth/polkit-0.111 requires sys-auth/consolekit[policykit]
     x11-apps/xdm-1.1.11-r3 requires sys-auth/consolekit
     x11-misc/slim-1.3.5-r2 requires sys-auth/consolekit


So, what to do? Obviously, I don't want an unbootable system.

How did you resolve this conflict?

Many thanks for a hint,
Helmut
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: systemd - are we forced to switch?

Volker Armin Hemmann
Am Montag, 22. Juli 2013, 09:03:46 schrieb Helmut Jarausch:

> Hi,
>
> gnome-base/gnome-settings-daemon-3.8.4   requires systemd
>
> sys-auth/consolekit-0.4.6                cannot coexist with systemd
>
> but many packages depend on sys-auth/consolekit :
>
> emerge -vpc sys-auth/consolekit  gives
>
>    sys-auth/consolekit-0.4.5_p20120320-r2 pulled in by:
>      gnome-base/gnome-session-3.8.2.1-r1 requires sys-auth/consolekit
>      gnome-base/gnome-shell-3.8.3-r1 requires sys-auth/consolekit
>      kde-base/kdm-4.10.5 requires sys-auth/consolekit
>      net-misc/networkmanager-0.9.8.2-r2 requires sys-auth/consolekit
>      net-wireless/bluez-4.101-r5 requires sys-auth/consolekit
>      sys-apps/accountsservice-0.6.34 requires sys-auth/consolekit
>      sys-auth/pambase-20120417-r2
> requires >=sys-auth/consolekit-0.4.5_p2012[pam]
>      sys-auth/polkit-0.111 requires sys-auth/consolekit[policykit]
>      x11-apps/xdm-1.1.11-r3 requires sys-auth/consolekit
>      x11-misc/slim-1.3.5-r2 requires sys-auth/consolekit
>
>
> So, what to do? Obviously, I don't want an unbootable system.
>
> How did you resolve this conflict?
>
> Many thanks for a hint,
> Helmut

not using gnome.

Gnome decided to force systemd.

--
#163933

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: systemd - are we forced to switch?

Samuli Suominen-4
In reply to this post by Helmut Jarausch
On 22/07/13 10:03, Helmut Jarausch wrote:
> Hi,
> How did you resolve this conflict?
>
> Many thanks for a hint,
> Helmut

As a maintainer of sys-auth/consolekit, and xfce-base/xfce4-meta I can
assure you sys-auth/consolekit is not about to be removed and the
support for systemd-logind will be appended to XFCE instead of replaced
like in GNOME.

I'm trying to say, either migrate to systemd or pick another desktop
with saner future plans like XFCE.

- Samuli

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: systemd - are we forced to switch?

Pandu Poluan


On Jul 22, 2013 6:34 PM, "Samuli Suominen" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On 22/07/13 10:03, Helmut Jarausch wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> How did you resolve this conflict?
>>
>> Many thanks for a hint,
>> Helmut
>
>
> As a maintainer of sys-auth/consolekit, and xfce-base/xfce4-meta I can assure you sys-auth/consolekit is not about to be removed and the support for systemd-logind will be appended to XFCE instead of replaced like in GNOME.
>
> I'm trying to say, either migrate to systemd or pick another desktop with saner future plans like XFCE.
>
> - Samuli
>

+1 for XFCE.

It's more similar to Gnome2 than Gnome3 itself :-)

Rgds,
--

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: systemd - are we forced to switch?

Philip Webb-2
In reply to this post by Helmut Jarausch
130722 Helmut Jarausch wrote:
> gnome-base/gnome-settings-daemon-3.8.4   requires systemd
> sys-auth/consolekit-0.4.6                cannot coexist with systemd
> but many packages depend on sys-auth/consolekit :
> How did you resolve this conflict?

Don't use Gnome.  I've been using Fluxbox for years :
it's simple, highly configurable & quite adequate for everyday work ;
you can use apps from KDE or Xfce, as you please.

--
========================,,============================================
SUPPORT     ___________//___,   Philip Webb
ELECTRIC   /] [] [] [] [] []|   Cities Centre, University of Toronto
TRANSIT    `-O----------O---'   purslowatchassdotutorontodotca


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: systemd - are we forced to switch?

András Csányi-7
On 22 July 2013 15:35, Philip Webb <[hidden email]> wrote:
> 130722 Helmut Jarausch wrote:
>> gnome-base/gnome-settings-daemon-3.8.4   requires systemd
>> sys-auth/consolekit-0.4.6                cannot coexist with systemd
>> but many packages depend on sys-auth/consolekit :
>> How did you resolve this conflict?
>
> Don't use Gnome.  I've been using Fluxbox for years :
> it's simple, highly configurable & quite adequate for everyday work ;
> you can use apps from KDE or Xfce, as you please.

If somebody has to use gnome? For example, here is my girlfriend who
has a Gentoo system with Unity on her laptop. She uses Evolution on
daily basis. As I experienced not possible to install Evolution
without gnome USE flag. In this case what is the proper solution?

--
--  Csanyi Andras (Sayusi Ando)  -- http://sayusi.hu --
http://facebook.com/andras.csanyi
--  ""Trust in God and keep your gunpowder dry!" - Cromwell

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: systemd - are we forced to switch?

Alan McKinnon-2
On 22/07/2013 15:39, András Csányi wrote:

> On 22 July 2013 15:35, Philip Webb <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> 130722 Helmut Jarausch wrote:
>>> gnome-base/gnome-settings-daemon-3.8.4   requires systemd
>>> sys-auth/consolekit-0.4.6                cannot coexist with systemd
>>> but many packages depend on sys-auth/consolekit :
>>> How did you resolve this conflict?
>>
>> Don't use Gnome.  I've been using Fluxbox for years :
>> it's simple, highly configurable & quite adequate for everyday work ;
>> you can use apps from KDE or Xfce, as you please.
>
> If somebody has to use gnome? For example, here is my girlfriend who
> has a Gentoo system with Unity on her laptop. She uses Evolution on
> daily basis. As I experienced not possible to install Evolution
> without gnome USE flag. In this case what is the proper solution?

USE="gnome" != install all of Gnome

It means to compile with Gnome support.

What Gnome packages does Evolution require, and do those deps pull in
systemd?

If no, there's no problem
If yes, either live with what portage wants to do or use a different
mail-client


--
Alan McKinnon
[hidden email]


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: systemd - are we forced to switch?

Canek Peláez Valdés
In reply to this post by Helmut Jarausch
ConsoleKit  is for all practical purposes unmaintained, and all of the
packages you mentioned it support systemd just fine. Emerge systemd,
and purge CK from your system; I did that almost a year ago.

Regards.

On Mon, Jul 22, 2013 at 2:03 AM, Helmut Jarausch
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> gnome-base/gnome-settings-daemon-3.8.4   requires systemd
>
> sys-auth/consolekit-0.4.6                cannot coexist with systemd
>
> but many packages depend on sys-auth/consolekit :
>
> emerge -vpc sys-auth/consolekit  gives
>
>   sys-auth/consolekit-0.4.5_p20120320-r2 pulled in by:
>     gnome-base/gnome-session-3.8.2.1-r1 requires sys-auth/consolekit
>     gnome-base/gnome-shell-3.8.3-r1 requires sys-auth/consolekit
>     kde-base/kdm-4.10.5 requires sys-auth/consolekit
>     net-misc/networkmanager-0.9.8.2-r2 requires sys-auth/consolekit
>     net-wireless/bluez-4.101-r5 requires sys-auth/consolekit
>     sys-apps/accountsservice-0.6.34 requires sys-auth/consolekit
>     sys-auth/pambase-20120417-r2 requires
>>=sys-auth/consolekit-0.4.5_p2012[pam]
>     sys-auth/polkit-0.111 requires sys-auth/consolekit[policykit]
>     x11-apps/xdm-1.1.11-r3 requires sys-auth/consolekit
>     x11-misc/slim-1.3.5-r2 requires sys-auth/consolekit
>
>
> So, what to do? Obviously, I don't want an unbootable system.
>
> How did you resolve this conflict?
>
> Many thanks for a hint,
> Helmut



--
Canek Peláez Valdés
Posgrado en Ciencia e Ingeniería de la Computación
Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: systemd - are we forced to switch?

Volker Armin Hemmann
yeah, because it is so great to have that monster systemd on your box. Because xml configs are awesome and binary logs even more and I always wanted an init with builtin webbrowser. Security? bah, not needed.

So when do I have to install mysql to use it? How long until some crap ala windows-registry is forced down my throat?



2013/7/22 Canek Peláez Valdés <[hidden email]>
ConsoleKit  is for all practical purposes unmaintained, and all of the
packages you mentioned it support systemd just fine. Emerge systemd,
and purge CK from your system; I did that almost a year ago.

Regards.

On Mon, Jul 22, 2013 at 2:03 AM, Helmut Jarausch
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> gnome-base/gnome-settings-daemon-3.8.4   requires systemd
>
> sys-auth/consolekit-0.4.6                cannot coexist with systemd
>
> but many packages depend on sys-auth/consolekit :
>
> emerge -vpc sys-auth/consolekit  gives
>
>   sys-auth/consolekit-0.4.5_p20120320-r2 pulled in by:
>     gnome-base/gnome-session-3.8.2.1-r1 requires sys-auth/consolekit
>     gnome-base/gnome-shell-3.8.3-r1 requires sys-auth/consolekit
>     kde-base/kdm-4.10.5 requires sys-auth/consolekit
>     net-misc/networkmanager-0.9.8.2-r2 requires sys-auth/consolekit
>     net-wireless/bluez-4.101-r5 requires sys-auth/consolekit
>     sys-apps/accountsservice-0.6.34 requires sys-auth/consolekit
>     sys-auth/pambase-20120417-r2 requires
>>=sys-auth/consolekit-0.4.5_p2012[pam]
>     sys-auth/polkit-0.111 requires sys-auth/consolekit[policykit]
>     x11-apps/xdm-1.1.11-r3 requires sys-auth/consolekit
>     x11-misc/slim-1.3.5-r2 requires sys-auth/consolekit
>
>
> So, what to do? Obviously, I don't want an unbootable system.
>
> How did you resolve this conflict?
>
> Many thanks for a hint,
> Helmut



--
Canek Peláez Valdés
Posgrado en Ciencia e Ingeniería de la Computación
Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: systemd - are we forced to switch?

Samuli Suominen-4
In reply to this post by Canek Peláez Valdés
On 22/07/13 18:02, Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
> ConsoleKit  is for all practical purposes unmaintained, and all of the
> packages you mentioned it support systemd just fine. Emerge systemd,
> and purge CK from your system; I did that almost a year ago.

It's how you look at it. I call it "mature" but you are right it won't
get new features or such, only bugfixes to keep status quo. Some people
call that "stable" :-)

[1]
http://cgit.freedesktop.org/ConsoleKit/commit/?id=af75e100dc4d4fac2e1633aa134e40e390d38918

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: systemd - are we forced to switch?

Bruce Hill, Jr.
In reply to this post by Philip Webb-2
On Mon, Jul 22, 2013 at 09:35:22AM -0400, Philip Webb wrote:
> 130722 Helmut Jarausch wrote:
> > gnome-base/gnome-settings-daemon-3.8.4   requires systemd
> > sys-auth/consolekit-0.4.6                cannot coexist with systemd
> > but many packages depend on sys-auth/consolekit :
> > How did you resolve this conflict?
>
> Don't use Gnome.  I've been using Fluxbox for years :
> it's simple, highly configurable & quite adequate for everyday work ;
> you can use apps from KDE or Xfce, as you please.

Sadly the GNU/Linux DEs are _way_ behind the rest of the software.

Been using Fluxbox since 2003, and very happy. I am presently trying Xfce
again for the upteenth time. ;)    Especially for computers to sell people who
need to be _free_ from proprietary OSes.

Thanks Samuli Suominen for your work!

Cheers,
Bruce
--
Happy Penguin Computers               >')
126 Fenco Drive                       ( \
Tupelo, MS 38801                       ^^
[hidden email]
662-269-2706 662-205-6424
http://happypenguincomputers.com/

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.                                                                                                                                                          
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?                                                                                                                                                                                        
A: Top-posting.                                                                                                                                                                                                                
Q: What is the most annoying thing in e-mail?

Don't top-post: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top_post#Top-posting

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: systemd - are we forced to switch?

Michael Hampicke-7
In reply to this post by Canek Peláez Valdés
Am 22.07.2013 17:02, schrieb Canek Peláez Valdés:
> ConsoleKit  is for all practical purposes unmaintained, and all of the
> packages you mentioned it support systemd just fine. Emerge systemd,
> and purge CK from your system; I did that almost a year ago.
>

Thanks, just purged consolekit from my system after setting
USE="-consolekit" and remerged the affected packages.


signature.asc (501 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: systemd - are we forced to switch?

Volker Armin Hemmann
maybe you should not just believe everything posted. Especially from a systemd fanboi.


2013/7/22 Michael Hampicke <[hidden email]>
Am 22.07.2013 17:02, schrieb Canek Peláez Valdés:
> ConsoleKit  is for all practical purposes unmaintained, and all of the
> packages you mentioned it support systemd just fine. Emerge systemd,
> and purge CK from your system; I did that almost a year ago.
>

Thanks, just purged consolekit from my system after setting
USE="-consolekit" and remerged the affected packages.


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: systemd - are we forced to switch?

Mark David Dumlao-3
In reply to this post by Canek Peláez Valdés

This would be a lot less of an issue if someone just wrote a logind ebuild (wink wink) that provides consolekit like it was originally intended.

But yeah you usually stay away from unmaintained upstreams.

On Jul 22, 2013 11:03 PM, "Canek Peláez Valdés" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> ConsoleKit  is for all practical purposes unmaintained, and all of the
> packages you mentioned it support systemd just fine. Emerge systemd,
> and purge CK from your system; I did that almost a year ago.
>
> Regards.
>
> On Mon, Jul 22, 2013 at 2:03 AM, Helmut Jarausch
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > gnome-base/gnome-settings-daemon-3.8.4   requires systemd
> >
> > sys-auth/consolekit-0.4.6                cannot coexist with systemd
> >
> > but many packages depend on sys-auth/consolekit :
> >
> > emerge -vpc sys-auth/consolekit  gives
> >
> >   sys-auth/consolekit-0.4.5_p20120320-r2 pulled in by:
> >     gnome-base/gnome-session-3.8.2.1-r1 requires sys-auth/consolekit
> >     gnome-base/gnome-shell-3.8.3-r1 requires sys-auth/consolekit
> >     kde-base/kdm-4.10.5 requires sys-auth/consolekit
> >     net-misc/networkmanager-0.9.8.2-r2 requires sys-auth/consolekit
> >     net-wireless/bluez-4.101-r5 requires sys-auth/consolekit
> >     sys-apps/accountsservice-0.6.34 requires sys-auth/consolekit
> >     sys-auth/pambase-20120417-r2 requires
> >>=sys-auth/consolekit-0.4.5_p2012[pam]
> >     sys-auth/polkit-0.111 requires sys-auth/consolekit[policykit]
> >     x11-apps/xdm-1.1.11-r3 requires sys-auth/consolekit
> >     x11-misc/slim-1.3.5-r2 requires sys-auth/consolekit
> >
> >
> > So, what to do? Obviously, I don't want an unbootable system.
> >
> > How did you resolve this conflict?
> >
> > Many thanks for a hint,
> > Helmut
>
>
>
> --
> Canek Peláez Valdés
> Posgrado en Ciencia e Ingeniería de la Computación
> Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México
>

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: systemd - are we forced to switch?

Mark David Dumlao-3
In reply to this post by Volker Armin Hemmann

Thank you for the FUD. I was beginning to miss M$.

Heres the freedesktop entry for a more authoritative statement.

http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/ConsoleKit/

On Jul 23, 2013 4:57 AM, "Volker Armin Hemmann" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> maybe you should not just believe everything posted. Especially from a systemd fanboi.
>
>
> 2013/7/22 Michael Hampicke <[hidden email]>
>>
>> Am 22.07.2013 17:02, schrieb Canek Peláez Valdés:
>> > ConsoleKit  is for all practical purposes unmaintained, and all of the
>> > packages you mentioned it support systemd just fine. Emerge systemd,
>> > and purge CK from your system; I did that almost a year ago.
>> >
>>
>> Thanks, just purged consolekit from my system after setting
>> USE="-consolekit" and remerged the affected packages.
>>
>

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: systemd - are we forced to switch?

Mark David Dumlao-3
In reply to this post by Volker Armin Hemmann

Thanks for the FUD.

On Jul 22, 2013 11:15 PM, "Volker Armin Hemmann" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> yeah, because it is so great to have that monster systemd on your box. Because xml configs are awesome and binary logs even more and I always wanted an init with builtin webbrowser. Security? bah, not needed.

Funny. I dont remember any xml blobs on my systemd configs. And my logs are sent to syslog-ng as text, too. Id say i dont have a builton webbrowser but i start emacs as a service ;)

Its fair to say you havent the slightest idea what youre talking about so heaven knows how well youre misusing classic security practices right now.

>
> So when do I have to install mysql to use it? How long until some crap ala windows-registry is forced down my throat?

Since this is a gnome topic? The registry was here like more than a year now.

>
>
>
> 2013/7/22 Canek Peláez Valdés <[hidden email]>
>>
>> ConsoleKit  is for all practical purposes unmaintained, and all of the
>> packages you mentioned it support systemd just fine. Emerge systemd,
>> and purge CK from your system; I did that almost a year ago.
>>
>> Regards.
>>
>> On Mon, Jul 22, 2013 at 2:03 AM, Helmut Jarausch
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > gnome-base/gnome-settings-daemon-3.8.4   requires systemd
>> >
>> > sys-auth/consolekit-0.4.6                cannot coexist with systemd
>> >
>> > but many packages depend on sys-auth/consolekit :
>> >
>> > emerge -vpc sys-auth/consolekit  gives
>> >
>> >   sys-auth/consolekit-0.4.5_p20120320-r2 pulled in by:
>> >     gnome-base/gnome-session-3.8.2.1-r1 requires sys-auth/consolekit
>> >     gnome-base/gnome-shell-3.8.3-r1 requires sys-auth/consolekit
>> >     kde-base/kdm-4.10.5 requires sys-auth/consolekit
>> >     net-misc/networkmanager-0.9.8.2-r2 requires sys-auth/consolekit
>> >     net-wireless/bluez-4.101-r5 requires sys-auth/consolekit
>> >     sys-apps/accountsservice-0.6.34 requires sys-auth/consolekit
>> >     sys-auth/pambase-20120417-r2 requires
>> >>=sys-auth/consolekit-0.4.5_p2012[pam]
>> >     sys-auth/polkit-0.111 requires sys-auth/consolekit[policykit]
>> >     x11-apps/xdm-1.1.11-r3 requires sys-auth/consolekit
>> >     x11-misc/slim-1.3.5-r2 requires sys-auth/consolekit
>> >
>> >
>> > So, what to do? Obviously, I don't want an unbootable system.
>> >
>> > How did you resolve this conflict?
>> >
>> > Many thanks for a hint,
>> > Helmut
>>
>>
>>
>> --
>> Canek Peláez Valdés
>> Posgrado en Ciencia e Ingeniería de la Computación
>> Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México
>>
>

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: systemd - are we forced to switch?

John Covici
In reply to this post by Mark David Dumlao-3
Mark David Dumlao <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thank you for the FUD. I was beginning to miss M$.
>
> Heres the freedesktop entry for a more authoritative statement.
>
> http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/ConsoleKit/
>
> On Jul 23, 2013 4:57 AM, "Volker Armin Hemmann" <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> > maybe you should not just believe everything posted. Especially from a
> systemd fanboi.
> >
> >
> > 2013/7/22 Michael Hampicke <[hidden email]>
> >>
> >> Am 22.07.2013 17:02, schrieb Canek Peláez Valdés:
> >> > ConsoleKit  is for all practical purposes unmaintained, and all of the
> >> > packages you mentioned it support systemd just fine. Emerge systemd,
> >> > and purge CK from your system; I did that almost a year ago.
> >> >
> >>
> >> Thanks, just purged consolekit from my system after setting
> >> USE="-consolekit" and remerged the affected packages.
> >>
> >

I have several things depending on consolekit:

  sys-auth/consolekit-0.4.5_p20120320-r2 pulled in by:
    gnome-base/gnome-control-center-3.8.3 requires sys-auth/consolekit
    gnome-base/gnome-session-3.8.2.1-r1 requires sys-auth/consolekit
    gnome-base/gnome-shell-3.8.3-r1 requires sys-auth/consolekit
    sys-apps/accountsservice-0.6.30 requires sys-auth/consolekit
    sys-auth/pambase-20120417-r2 requires
    >=sys-auth/consolekit-0.4.5_p2012[pam]
    sys-auth/polkit-0.111 requires sys-auth/consolekit[policykit]
 


--
Your life is like a penny.  You're going to lose it.  The question is:
How do
you spend it?

         John Covici
         [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: systemd - are we forced to switch?

Canek Peláez Valdés
On Mon, Jul 22, 2013 at 9:58 PM,  <[hidden email]> wrote:
[ snip ]
> I have several things depending on consolekit:
>
>   sys-auth/consolekit-0.4.5_p20120320-r2 pulled in by:
>     gnome-base/gnome-control-center-3.8.3 requires sys-auth/consolekit

Dependency of gnome-control-center:

   || ( ( app-admin/openrc-settingsd sys-auth/consolekit )
>=sys-apps/systemd-31 )

>     gnome-base/gnome-session-3.8.2.1-r1 requires sys-auth/consolekit

gnome-session:

        systemd? ( >=sys-apps/systemd-183 )
        !systemd? ( sys-auth/consolekit )

>     gnome-base/gnome-shell-3.8.3-r1 requires sys-auth/consolekit

gnome-shell:

|| ( sys-auth/consolekit >=sys-apps/systemd-31 )

>     sys-apps/accountsservice-0.6.30 requires sys-auth/consolekit

accountsservice:

        systemd? ( >=sys-apps/systemd-186 )
        !systemd? ( sys-auth/consolekit )"

>     sys-auth/pambase-20120417-r2 requires

pambase:

consolekit? ( >=sys-auth/consolekit-0.4.5_p2012[pam] )
systemd? ( >=sys-apps/systemd-44-r1[pam] )


>     >=sys-auth/consolekit-0.4.5_p2012[pam]

consolekit obviously doesn't depend on itself.

>     sys-auth/polkit-0.111 requires sys-auth/consolekit[policykit]

polkit:

        pam? (
                systemd? ( sys-auth/pambase[systemd] )
                !systemd? ( sys-auth/pambase[consolekit] )
                )

In other words, *ALL* of these packages can use systemd instead of
consolekit (and in the case of pambase, both at the same time). And,
as Mark already linked[1]: "ConsoleKit is currently not actively
maintained. The focus has shifted to the built-in seat/user/session
management of Software/systemd called systemd-loginctl", I would not
really count on these packages supporting CK in the future.

Regards.

[1] http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/ConsoleKit/
--
Canek Peláez Valdés
Posgrado en Ciencia e Ingeniería de la Computación
Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: systemd - are we forced to switch?

Mark Pariente
In reply to this post by Volker Armin Hemmann
On Mon, 2013-07-22 at 17:14 +0200, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
> yeah, because it is so great to have that monster systemd on your box.
> Because xml configs are awesome and binary logs even more and I always
> wanted an init with builtin webbrowser. Security? bah, not needed.
>
>
> So when do I have to install mysql to use it? How long until some crap
> ala windows-registry is forced down my throat?

Nobody is forcing you to use anything. These are all upstream (GNOME,
freedestkop) decisions, you can't expect them to maintain code that
doesn't follow their technical direction. If you don't like it you can
fork or go use/contribute to other projects all you want. This is the
power of open source, no one can take choice away from you, they can
just make your choice a lot harder to realize.

--Mark



Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: systemd - are we forced to switch?

Samuli Suominen-4
In reply to this post by Mark David Dumlao-3
On 23/07/13 00:46, Mark David Dumlao wrote:
> This would be a lot less of an issue if someone just wrote a logind
> ebuild (wink wink) that provides consolekit like it was originally intended.

not possible, logind since systemd >= 205 requires systemd and won't
work on openrc, upstart, and such
as in, the idea of using logind outside of systemd is a dead end

so keeping ConsoleKit in portage for long as it works for long as we
need openrc for Linux based systems
and when it no longer works, the contingency plan is to ship vendor
based polkit files that possibly either restore 'plugdev' group or
provide similar groups to ArchLinux like 'network', 'storage', 'power'
to split up the old 'plugdev'

- Samuli

123